Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #1
29Blue

Default growling noise

Good morning. My 29 Tudor has been making a growling sound when foot off gas when coming to a stop. If I disengage the clutch the noise stops. This has been getting worse. All fluids have been checked and all is good. Also greased the u-joint. Thanks, Bob
29Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: growling noise

How about Throw out bearing/slider or pilot bearing? Remove cover and have a look! Just have to loosen two screws slide cover up/off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tob.jpg (22.0 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Gary WA; 06-27-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Gary WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
29Blue

I haven't checked that because it sounds like it is coming from the rear of car. When I check throw out bearing what should I be looking for?
Old 06-27-2021, 10:43 AM   #4
nkaminar

If you think it is coming from the differential, drain the oil into a glass or clear plastic container and look for metal particles. Try putting a magnet in the oil to see if you can find any steel bits. If so then you will have to repair the differential.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:49 AM   #5
Chuck Sea/Tac

Have someone stand outside our car and see if you can verify noise location. I think you need to. verify location and if the rear end quit driving and repair before more damage is done.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:12 PM   #6
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Blue View Post
I haven't checked that because it sounds like it is coming from the rear of car. When I check throw out bearing what should I be looking for?
Check to see if dry or maybe coming apart? If from rear diff. Drain and check for pieces of broken gears> as stated above. Keep us posted.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:00 PM   #7
Patrick L.

OK, what does disengage mean ?

When pushing on the clutch pedal if it makes the noise and then the noise stops when taking your foot off the clutch then its the sign of a bad release/throw out bearing. [ that is if there is enough lash/free play]

Does the vehicle need to be moving for the noise, or, can it make noise sitting still ?

If its coming from the rear does it make more noise either under power or when off the power ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:30 PM   #8
29Blue

Thanks for the help, Will check rear dif.and throw-bearing. Also the noise stops when i push clutch in when slowing down for a stop.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:57 PM   #9
nkaminar

Bob has stated that the noise happens when slowing down for a stop and the noise stops when pushing in the clutch and still slowing down. So it would seem that it is not the throwout bearing but could be coming from the pinion and ring gear in the rear end or from the transmission.

So, does it happen in all gears or only a certain gear? To check the transmission it is easy to take the shift tower off and peek inside. Bob can drain the oil in the transmission and check for metal particles like for the differential.

One thing to do would be jack up one rear wheel, but the car in neutral, and turn the wheel in the forward and reverse direction to try and feel for rough ring and pinion gears.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:13 PM   #10
29Blue

I know for sure always happens in second and third, not sure about first. I now have some direction on what to check. Thanks,Bob
Old 07-01-2021, 07:27 AM   #11
29Blue

Here is what I have done so far. Checked throw out bearing and that looked OK. Changed transmission fluid, no metal pieces. Drained fluid from differential, and checked with magnet no metal. Jacked up pass. side wheel turned freely in both directions with no problem. Drivers side turned but about 1/3 of the wheel had more resistance than the rest although it didn't seem too bad. Anything else to check? Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:58 AM   #12
jayvee34

Sounds like it to be the throw out bearing. Looking at it will not tell you if it is bad. See
if it will move (Wobble) side to side. If it does, it is bad. The slightest movement side to
side with engine running and clutch depress will make a noise.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:18 AM   #13
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Blue View Post
Here is what I have done so far. Checked throw out bearing and that looked OK. Changed transmission fluid, no metal pieces. Drained fluid from differential, and checked with magnet no metal. Jacked up pass. side wheel turned freely in both directions with no problem. Drivers side turned but about 1/3 of the wheel had more resistance than the rest although it didn't seem too bad. Anything else to check? Thanks again.
Drivers side is dragging, if it not a brake dragging you may have found your noise! Look for a past thread " noise in third gear" the poster finely found a bad pinion bearing, the noise was traveling to the clutch flywheel transmission area.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:18 AM   #14
larrys40

Bob,
Driveline noise can be a little tricky at times….
But it sounds like your trans throwout is probably ok. They are noisy when clutch depressed. Not out.

There’s a host of possibilities but one more common from the rear axle is loose or failing pinion bearings. The noise can get more noticeable when off the gas in 3rd like going down a hill. Driveshaft/pinion noise travels up the torque tube and can sometimes be confusing. If it can be jacked up securely on Jack’s stands and ran in gear with a good ear below in the driveline it may be able to be detected.

Drivelines are my specialty and it’s just a matter of a good ear and detecting things. It’s very possible a rear axle rebuild may be in the future.
The transmission should be quiet in 3rd if the bearings are good as it’s direct drive at that point. If noisy in 1st or 2nd only it would probably be more of a trans issue with those gears. They are usually noisier under load as it is the thrust side of the gears.
Disengaging the clutch takes the load off the gears and can quiet them as you indicated. It also takes the thrust off things through to the driveshaft.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:17 AM   #15
29Blue

Thanks for every ones help. I agree with Larry that driveline noises are a little tricky to isolate the noise. I'm going to put it one jack stands this weekend and try to hear anything. Also went for a short drive and the noise is louder when letting off gas in third and going down hill. It looks like a major repair. I think I will take it well respected Model A repair shop here (50miles down the road) and get his opinion. Respect