Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
Racur96

Default Firewall date code location

Hi guys. Where exactly is the firewall date. Code on a 29, mine is a pickup. Thanks
Racur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Firewall date code location

Drivers side lower edge of gas tank just above the lip where it bolts to the cowl. If I recall there was some talk that the date stamped there was an inspection date for the gas tank. Not all tanks have a date stamped on them.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
jkeesey

My 29 tudor body does not have the tank number located as described but I've found others that do
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
glenn in camino

I think Ford stopped dating gas tanks sometime in late 29. The employee who stamped the tanks probably was a victim of the economy.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

The earliest recorded firewall date is 5-28-28...the latest date recorded is 9-20-29. Can we beat those dates anyone?

I did an article on this very subject and is on my website under Additional Studies and is also in one of the gas tank articles I did.

Also see my Letters, Numbers and Codes data.

Merry Christmas.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

My early '29 std coupe has no gas tank stamping. Help, those with similar coupes, where have you found BODY number that has assy. plant info??
Old 12-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #7
Racur96

Thanks, searched cowl but no luck. I was able to get assy plant # with battery acid method. My engine was built July 8th according to steves site. And speedo still has tamper tag on backside and shows w9, 1929 September. Right rear frame crossmember has pao stamped in it. Anyone have any idea what it is? Couldn't match it up with any Frame codes listed.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:32 AM   #8
Tudortomnz

Re 'earliest & latest' dates stamped on tanks. There is '28 35A here [ Canadian export] with 5 16 28 [ body F 1839]. Can't beat the latest date, but a '29 165A from the rural home town where I now live has 8 23 29. My own late '29 Tudor has no date stamp, but it was built in Oct. at Windsor, post date stamping.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:32 AM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
My early '29 std coupe has no gas tank stamping. Help, those with similar coupes, where have you found BODY number that has assy. plant info??
Bill,

Look on my website under Additional Studies, then go to Letters, Numbers and Codes.

By the way...just how on earth can you have an "early" 1929 STD. COUPE? All "early" 1929's of this type were Special Coupes...were they not?

Pluck
Old 12-22-2011, 01:36 AM   #10
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
Re 'earliest & latest' dates stamped on tanks. There is '28 35A here [ Canadian export] with 5 16 28 [ body F 1839]. Can't beat the latest date, but a '29 165A from the rural home town where I now live has 8 23 29. My own late '29 Tudor has no date stamp, but it was built in Oct. at Windsor, post date stamping.
Can you please provide a photo Tom?

Pluck
Old 12-22-2011, 01:39 AM   #11
Ron in Quincy

In talking to my uncle, a number of years ago, about a early 29 AA truck he purchased new from the Ford Dealer in Stockton CA, I noticed it did not have a date on the gas tank. My uncle advised me that the original gas tank started leaking around the steering column about 2 months after he took delivery; he took the truck back to the dealer and the dealer installed a new gas tank, thats why no date !!!!

I wonder how many other original tanks were changed due to the same problem ?

Another thing he told me about the AA: when he was advised by the dealer that his truck was ready for delivery, and when he got to the dealership he found the cab was a open cab, he was upset as he had ordered a closed cab; he went back to the dealership 2 days later and the dealer had removed the closed cab off a new 1/2 pickup and switched the cab to his AA and put the open cab on the 1/2 ton pickup.

I suspect who ever ended up with the AA belives the truck is all original like it came from the factory ?

Reguarding the stamping that identifies the assemble plant on the sill in front of the front seat, I have also seen it stamped on the passenger side, and sometimes stamped upside down, sometimes facing the rear of the vehicle and somtime facing the front of the vehicle; have also seen bodies with no stamping.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:16 AM   #12
Tudortomnz

Steve, re a photo of tank dates I mentioned, the early one is on a NZ Model A list [with the owners name ] , the car is nowhere near I now live, but I can get the one from Aug. '29 which is owned by a friend. I will try & do this in the New Year.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:45 AM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Here is the gas tank date on my 9-27-28 Phaeton. I've also seen some dates stamped upside down.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:25 AM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Bill,

Look on my website under Additional Studies, then go to Letters, Numbers and Codes.

By the way...just how on earth can you have an "early" 1929 STD. COUPE? All "early" 1929's of this type were Special Coupes...were they not?

Pluck
Thanks Pluck, been searching the car and your website to no avail. Saw one indication that it might be INSIDE the seat riser. My car is not a "special" and it has the "d" nuts for a drum tail light BRACKET only on the L/H side and has never had cowl lights and it has a rumbleseat that looks original to the car. The hood shelves have the cut-away where the pass by the bumper brackets and it has the hooks on the top radiator tank to hold the hood open. Has the round raised area around the crank hole cover. It now has fender mounted tail lights. The car build was started in 1987, I have lots of pics, but no written history. Running board shields has the rear humps. The car doesn't look like it has any mis-fit or incorrect parts, has front mounted squeeze grip park brake. Engine number pad is rough, as though number is original, according to engine number, it is a June, '29 car. Rear fenders are surely NOS, perfect. Front fenders might have been NOS as their is only a small amount of body work done that could have been from storage damage. Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 12-22-2011 at 03:33 AM. Reason: add
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Here is the body number from my same 9-27-28 Phaeton. The "TC" means it was built at the Twin Cities Frod Plant and the 476 means it was the 476th Phaeton body built at that plant for that model year. That's a low body number for a 9-27-28 gas tank date, but there wasn't much demand for an open car in Minnesota.

You can see the number is actually partially covered by the seat riser, and the seat riser is bent rearward a little, which exposes the number better.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 12-22-2011 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:53 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Here is the body number from my same 9-27-28 Phaeton. The "TC" means it was built at the Twin Cities Frod Plant and the
Old 12-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
Special Coupe Frank

Tom - which body sill is that, and where is the number located? What is the black sheetmetal with the stiffening rib embossed in it ?

Would like to try to find the assembly plant # on my Special Coupe...
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #18
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Bill,

Pluck
My guess is he has one of the June or July '29 Standards, making it "early" for the resumed production of the 45-A ?

MY understanding is that same as yours - 49-A Special Coupe only from mid 1928 through June '29.

Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #19
Racur96

Pic of assy number & code is most likely on panel where your heels set while in drier seat, rib metal is seat riser, looking down from straight above it with seat out. At least thats where mine is, some are on side rails subframe.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
Tom - which body sill is that, and where is the number located? What is the black sheetmetal with the stiffening rib embossed in it ?

Would like to try to find the assembly plant # on my Special Coupe...
That's my 9-27-28 Phaeton and the number on that car and on my 2-23-29 Tudor are both in the same place, right where the heel of my left foot would be if I sit in the seat with my feet straight down along the front edge of the seat. The metal is the steel seat riser on my Phaeton.