Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2021, 12:39 PM   #1
Usafexplorer

Question Seeking advice - Seat riser/base repair

Started cleaning up the '31 AA and assessing what needs fixed and/or replaced. The seat riser is in need of repair, lots of rust and one of the seat back mounting locations is basically gone.

What advice can the seasoned owners/restorers advise in this situation?

I'm building this truck as a tinkering hobby project with plans of driving it and enjoying it, not a show vehicle. At the same time I don't want to completely compromise the original craftsmanship with a lack luster repair. Are reproduction parts in this situation advised or frowned upon? I've read a lot of posts with varying experiences on reproduction parts and a little torn on a direction here.

Forgive my naïve questions, I'm new at this restoration stuff and trying to not make a mistake I'll regret down the road. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '31 Seat riser 1.jpg (55.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg '31 Seat riser 2.jpg (45.3 KB, 72 views)
Usafexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 10:01 AM   #2
KenBolton

Default Re: Seeking advice - Seat riser/base repair

I’m not able to see the damage you reference. Perhaps a bit more detailed description will help clarify the situation. That said, the reproduction replacement panels are pretty good. Or if the area is fairly small and you are capable of cutting it out and welding in a patch may be another solution.
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:04 PM   #3
Usafexplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBolton View Post
I’m not able to see the damage you reference. Perhaps a bit more detailed description will help clarify the situation. That said, the reproduction replacement panels are pretty good. Or if the area is fairly small and you are capable of cutting it out and welding in a patch may be another solution.
Thanks for the reply, here is a better picture of the rust and mount failure point. This appears to me as an opportunity to weld a piece of flat stock on the riser and call it a day. I just wasn't sure what is considered "acceptable" when dealing with these old vehicles and originality. Is that an acceptable repair or safer to replace with a reproduction riser assembly?

(I also acknowledge its possible I'm completely overthinking this repair )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seat Riser rust.jpg (48.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Seat riser rust spot.jpg (56.0 KB, 56 views)
Old 12-30-2021, 08:15 AM   #4
Oldbluoval

Depends on what u find acceptable. Welding around rusted metal without a good cleanup to good metal is treacherous because what may look solid…..is not. It blows away with welding
The repos are decent
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 06:55 AM   #5
ronn

since its basically hidden-your call.

most would repair and move on. if its just going to be a driver.
show car? get a fresh one or do the repair right.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 11:51 AM   #6
Usafexplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
since its basically hidden-your call.

most would repair and move on. if its just going to be a driver.
show car? get a fresh one or do the repair right.

What I was figuring someone would say, makes sense. I appreciate the feedback. The rest of the riser isn't in too bad a shape so repairing the damaged mount makes the most sense. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:28 PM   #7
bobbader

All depends on your intentions. The area you show .......... as is ........ is not a point of no return. But, as Old Blue Oval suggests, welding in a piece might lead to further problems. If your intent is to just “ fix that issue” and move on, pop riveting a piece of flat stock wherever that back piece is structurally sound will fix the integrity of that part and you can move on. Mechanically speaking, you’ve fixed the problem. If you want “restore”, drill out the rivets holding the piece in, clean it, sandblast it, and then ........... when you have a clear picture of overall condition and structural integrity ........... make an advised decision as to how to proceed. But, know that, as others have said, this part in reproduction is pretty good on all counts.

Good luck with your project. Bob Bader
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:32 AM   #8
Ed in Maine

It looks solid enough to cleanup, cutout rust, make sheet metal patches and weld the patches in. My seat base for my Model A was rusty with many fatigue cracks. But when I got done with it, I still have an original part that is perfectly functional. I get a lot of satisfaction with that. It is what restoration is all about. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:35 PM   #9
Usafexplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbader View Post
All depends on your intentions. The area you show .......... as is ........ is not a point of no return. But, as Old Blue Oval suggests, welding in a piece might lead to further problems. If your intent is to just “ fix that issue” and move on, pop riveting a piece of flat stock wherever that back piece is structurally sound will fix the integrity of that part and you can move on. Mechanically speaking, you’ve fixed the problem. If you want “restore”, drill out the rivets holding the piece in, clean it, sandblast it, and then ........... when you have a clear picture of overall condition and structural integrity ........... make an advised decision as to how to proceed. But, know that, as others have said, this part in reproduction is pretty good on all counts.

Good luck with your project. Bob Bader
I appreciate the input and agree it is not detrimental to the structure and certainly not a big deal. I think I'll try a repair and it if fails replace the entire riser with a reproduction, thanks.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:36 PM   #10
Usafexplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
It looks solid enough to cleanup, cutout rust, make sheet metal patches and weld the patches in. My seat base for my Model A was rusty with many fatigue cracks. But when I got done with it, I still have an original part that is perfectly functional. I get a lot of satisfaction with that. It is what restoration is all about. Ed
Keeping it original (or as much as possible) is the ultimate goal, thanks for the input Ed.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:41 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usafexplorer View Post
Keeping it original (or as much as possible) is the ultimate goal, thanks for the input Ed.
With the above said, I am pretty sure that riser was being manufactured by Ahooga ...which unfortunately went bankrupt a year or so ago -and the tooling was reportedly scrapped. Therefore unless you happened to find a supplier that had one in-stock as old inventory, I'm not sure you could get a replacement one if you tried.

I do concur with many others above that repairing that one would be the simplest for us.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote