Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2021, 10:42 PM   #1
SoCalCoupe

Default Voltage Regulator Comment

I have a stock 1941 V8 (6 volt, positive ground.) When I bought the car 3 months ago, the generator was not charging. After a lot of learning and troubleshooting with help from koates I determined that the generator was functional so I replaced the voltage regulator, even though it looked like new. With that replacement, everything was fine, the battery was charging, for a short time, about 100 miles. Then on the way home from an event the generator stopped charging again.

The voltage regulator is a pretty simple piece of gear, electrical, not electronic. Why would it fail? Read a lot of old fordbarn posts and decided to just check all of the battery, voltage regulator, and generator contacts. Disconnected and wire-brushed every one on them. No charging after I started the engine and revved it a lot. Then, after about a minute of operation, the generator started charging again.

Don't trust the car yet. I'll keep a close eye on it. Don't want to be in the position of draining the battery, loosing generator functionality and having to be towed home.

Thoughts guys?
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 07:12 AM   #2
koates

Default Re: Voltage Regulator Comment

Maybe the generator has an intermittent fault like a dirty oily commutator or worn or sticking brushes or a loose connection inside. Need to open up the gen to check it out. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Maybe the generator has an intermittent fault like a dirty oily commutator or worn or sticking brushes or a loose connection inside. Need to open up the gen to check it out. Regards, Kevin.
If it stops charging again, that's what I'll do, open up the generator and look for problems. Intermittent faults are the worst to pin down.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:11 PM   #4
Bill OH

I had the same problem. I removed and opened the generator and cleaned the field and armature connections inside, tightened brush connections and cleaned commutator with fine sandpaper. Problem solved. You might consider checking continuity between the case of the generator and ground on the regulator. I used a digital ohmmeter and found 0.1 ohm resistance. I ran a 16 ga wire with soldered connectors from the generator case thru the spark plug wire loom to a mounting screw on the regulator - that removed the 0.1 ohm resistance and stopped the ammeter from jumping.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #5
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill OH View Post
I had the same problem. I removed and opened the generator and cleaned the field and armature connections inside, tightened brush connections and cleaned commutator with fine sandpaper. Problem solved. You might consider checking continuity between the case of the generator and ground on the regulator. I used a digital ohmmeter and found 0.1 ohm resistance. I ran a 16 ga wire with soldered connectors from the generator case thru the spark plug wire loom to a mounting screw on the regulator - that removed the 0.1 ohm resistance and stopped the ammeter from jumping.
Hmmm. I already have a ground wire running from the generator to the voltage regulator case. Did check it with an analog ohm meter and got 0 ohm. Hard to see the difference between 0 and 0.1 though. Maybe it's time to buy a digital ohm meter.

The ammeter needle always vibrates. I assume that's normal? In addition to that, it's now jumpy. Might be time to open up the generator rather than waiting for it to stop charging again.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:01 PM   #6
Bill OH

Open the generator and clean the connections and commutator. Check that ground circuit between the generator and regulator with a digital ohmmeter - that got rid of the jumpy ammeter. Make sure that the terminal ends are soldered and not just crimped on the ground wire from the generator to the regulator. Strange thing is that you have to use an analog meter to check voltage on the charging system because of the interference from the ignition system, but the analog meter is not accurate to check for continuity as outlined above, thus the requirement of a digital meter. I have a Snap On meter, but there are also other quality meters.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:35 PM   #7
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill OH View Post
I ... cleaned commutator with fine sandpaper.
Like black 400 Grit Silicon-Carbide wet or dry sandpaper?
Old 01-03-2022, 12:37 AM   #8
koates

No not wet & dry silicon carbide paper, but actual fine SANDPAPER that is used for woodworking. Regards, Kevin.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:45 AM   #9
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
No not wet & dry silicon carbide paper, but actual fine SANDPAPER that is used for woodworking. Regards, Kevin.
Thanks!
Old 01-03-2022, 01:21 AM   #10
aussie merc

defiantly would have the generator looked at sounds like the brushes are in need of attention
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:26 AM   #11
Crankster

Reading the various Ford and OEM service docs published over the years they are always very insistent about never using sandpaper of any kind to dress regulator point contacts, with lots of warnings and cautions. Maybe it can be made to work, but that's probably not the way to bet.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:24 AM   #12
corvette8n

You can get one of these, I still have the stone my Dad used to clean my generator on my 1950 Ford back in 1964.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1BFCBF3F-8ED9-42ED-9F93-82DAA9198EE7.jpg (42.6 KB, 143 views)
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:26 AM   #13
mfirth

Electricity is funny stuff. I had a regulator, on a marine enging, that caused a discharge. Took the cover off & it worked fine. Put cover on & discharge. Thank God I had a plastic butter tub with screws in it which I emptied & taped on the regulator to get safely home. Never figured that 1 out ....... kept it 4 a spare.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:55 PM   #14
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
Reading the various Ford and OEM service docs published over the years they are always very insistent about never using sandpaper of any kind to dress regulator point contacts, with lots of warnings and cautions. Maybe it can be made to work, but that's probably not the way to bet.
Crankster, NEVER in any of the above posts was mention made about using sandpaper on voltage regulator contacts or any other contacts. The discussion was directed at generator armature commutators. Suggest that you reread the posts again. Regards, Kevin.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:42 PM   #15
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
You can get one of these, I still have the stone my Dad used to clean my generator on my 1950 Ford back in 1964.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:33 PM   #16
Crankster

Quote:
NEVER in any of the above posts was mention made about using sandpaper on voltage regulator contacts ...
I plead guilty, sorry about that. This thread is titled for regulators, and this advice is given so often ... it's just a given!
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote