Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2018, 06:33 AM   #1
JRN1967

Default Stuck Points

Yesterday, my wife and I were out on a short jaunt with my 30 coupe, I was climbing a steep hill and the engine just went flat. Then quit.

It was in the mid 90's here in Central Mass, and was by far the hottest day I've ever had the car out. With no traffic I quickly did a three point turn and coasted off to a shady spot.

I pulled the distributor cap and had my wife spin the engine over. I could see the points were stuck open and not moving. I have a 32 model B distributor.

With only my key chain as a tool I moved the points open and closed but they were stiff and wouldn't spring back closed. I used oil from the dipstick to try to free up the post that the points pivot on. Eventually the points started moving again. After it cooled down I was able to get it started and drive back home.

Has anyone ever experienced stuck points before? I think it was brought on by the heat? Can anyone suggest a well made set of points for a B distributor?

Thanks,
John
JRN1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
ryanheacox

Default Re: Stuck Points

Can't say I've had that exact issue before or that I'm familiar with the B distributor but I can sympathize.

Was heading back from Springfield a couple years ago when I had some points trouble. Just a worn down rubbing block but still it was no fun in the 85 degree heat in a Seersucker suit.

Good luck! Hopefully someone else can chime in with more help
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
J Franklin

A bit of fine sandpaper will clean up the post. Check the spring tension when reinstalling.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

A drop of oil on the movable points arm post should be part of everyone's lubrication schedule.
Also lube the cam rubbing block.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
Ed in Maine

Hello JRN, I have a 32 Model B and like you had to make that fast turn off so that I wasn't left out in the middle of the road. It is amazing how fast you can find a parking spot when you are just coasting with a dead engine! The car started to stumble and would run worse when I stepped on the gas. The problem wasn't the same as yours but it was points related. I knew it had to be point gap and didn't bother with the feeler gauge, just opened the points up about 3/4 turn. The car started right up and got the car back home. After you have cleaned the post the points are mounted on, use a high temperature grease and I think you will be good to go. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
JRN1967

Thanks all for the advice. I took the points off and cleaned the post up with some emory cloth. Then i lubed the post and rubbing block. I drove it a few miles and all seems good.

I'm still trying to locate a set of original style Model B points. I know Renner's Corner will take my upper plate and convert it to a modern points. But then I wouldn't be able to drive my car until I got my plate back. I see there's a lot of vendors who sell Model A modern point plates, but none for the B style.

John
Old 07-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
J Franklin

I had a friend that modified the a points by removing the post he said they work fine.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
JRN1967

Thanks J. I'll look into that idea.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #9
Bob C

There is four sets of B points on epay right now. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...pg=50&_fosrp=1

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:07 PM   #10
JRN1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
There is four sets of B points on epay right now. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...pg=50&_fosrp=1

Bob
I just bought two sets part# B-12199

Thank you