Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Bruce Newbery

Default 29 Business coupe oval windows

I got all my glass cut today and was really trying to figure out just how the oval windows and rear windows are installed. I have a cartouche top kit and the instructions are difficult to understand. I have a instruction sheet by Ed Eaton from clutch chatter. It says after the roofing is covered , the window glass is installed from the inside of the car in the opening previously cut in the cardboard panels. the frames are installed and screwed down. To what? The top covering[which is over the glass] is cut away. Will this make a decent seal? It looks to me that the glass would have to be cut on the small size of the spec to allow the roof material to squeeze in there. Would some kind of glue be used to seal the window. Also is there a rear cardboard panel for the business coupe? I never got one in my kit. I think the window and frame hanging on the top material would fail in time. have any of you had experience installing this top. Any advise would be appreciated.
Bruce Newbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:33 PM   #2
oneoldtruckguy

Default Re: 29 Business coupe oval windows

I owned a 29 oval window business coupe about 35 years ago and I restored it. I don't remember close to everything but I do remember this. the inside and the out window frames are screwed to each other from the inside out. I remember putting the inside frame with screws and glass on the inside facing the outside and punching small holes thru the top material where each of the screw holes are and will line up with outside frame. I remember then putting the screws thru the inside frame, thru the top material and then into the outside frame tightening the screws one at a time just a little at a time going around the frame until tight. Then cutting the material out of each frame and not scratching the glass. I don't remember using any sealant and don't remember it leaking. Hope this helps a little and maybe someone that has done more recently has a better idea.
oneoldtruckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
Bruce Newbery

Thanks for the reply. Do you remember about the back window. Was it mounted in the cardboard like the side windows or did it just hang free floating on the top material?
Bruce Newbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
700rpm

Bruce, my 29 business coupe does not have any cardboard panels anywhere in the top construction above the belt rail. I don't think there were any, just the top fabric. I didn't install my glass, but I have had to tighten my rear window frame. There is no sealant apparent, and it looked pretty much as one old truck guy described.

Here are a couple window shots, one of my car. I may have sent you that one earlier. You can see the car in the left photo was finished much nicer than mine. But I honestly don't know what is correct for finish and fabric. Maybe some more knowledgeable 54A owners can fill us in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0550.JPG (86.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg window.jpg (32.1 KB, 40 views)

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 08-06-2015 at 11:09 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
Dave Mc

There is no cardboard sandwiched in between the oval or the rear windows , mine have no sealant and have never leaked

Dave Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:11 PM   #6
oneoldtruckguy

Forgot to mention NO Cardboard in my top what so ever.
oneoldtruckguy is offline   Reply With Quote