Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2019, 05:55 AM   #61
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Unusual carburation on Flathead V8’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
RalphM,

How much modification to replace the 9510 Teapot? What model Rochester? Would it work with the distributor found on the 53' Merc with a Merc-O-Matic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
I would think it would just be a matter of swapping the intakes on the 53, should have enough vacuum for the dist, but I’ve never tried it.
I’ve never used this setup before, but I’d like to give it a go.
Unless whatever carb you put on it has provision for a venturi vacuum source, the stock distributor will not work correctly as I understand it.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:37 AM   #62
Ol' Ron

I tink the Weber is a direct bolt on to the flathead. The reason is Kenny Web ran one at Danbury and the rules stated that you could run any carb that bolted on the stock intake.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #63
cadillac512

Rochester 2GV on a '50's Merc 4 bolt manifold. As tubman said,the carb mounts backward and the linkage lines up nicely. This carb is from a late '60's Chev.

As for any carb other than stock working with the late flathead distributor, that's going to be a no-go. The stock load-a-matic distributor used a combination of venturi and manifold vacuum sourced from unique drillings in the stock carb. Ported vac will not work properly and neither will full manifold vac. A distributor swap will be needed to make things right.

Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 260 Merc.jpg (67.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 260 Merc RH side.jpg (68.5 KB, 42 views)

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:04 AM   #64
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
Rochester 2GV on a '50's Merc 4 bolt manifold. As tubman said,the carb mounts backward and the linkage lines up nicely. This carb is from a late '60's Chev.

As for any carb other than stock working with the late flathead distributor, that's going to be a no-go. The stock load-a-matic distributor used a combination of venturi and manifold vacuum sourced from unique drillings in the stock carb. Ported vac will not work properly and neither will full manifold vac. A distributor swap will be needed to make things right.

Terry
Thank you, for the explanation.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:32 AM   #65
tubman

Just a side note. While a small base Rochester 2G will bolt directly on to a Mercury manifold, the throttle bores in the manifold are smaller than the carburetor (1 5/i6" vs. 1 7/16"). I bore the manifolds to 1 7/16" all the way down with a "Rota-Broach" using a special guide I made. As mentioned above, the throttle linkage and fuel line are positioned correctly if the carburetor is mounted backwards. Unfortunately, this puts the manual choke in the wrong position. However, the Mercury automatic choke mechanism is positioned exactly right for use with a 2G. I have done both the on-carb choke (2GC with an early manifold) and the divorced choke version (2GV on a later manifold) and both require only minor modifications to make them work.

And of course, all of this precludes using the original distributor.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote