Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
Henry Floored

Default CAD drawing for Flathead Ford

Guys I'm interested in obtaining a CAD file for the Flathead Ford block.

This relates to a recent conversation on here about manufacturing a new replacement block.

Doing a little feasibility study and am in dire need of a good CAD or even a conventional drawing.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
Binx

Default Re: CAD drawing for Flathead Ford

This person was working on it awhile back...

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156253

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:51 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

JWL may have a conventional drawing.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:45 AM   #4
truckdog62563

I'd suggest contacting the staff at the The Henry Ford to access the original blueprints. You might as well work openly with them on such a project because in the end their lawyers will have you paying royalties if you produce a replica engine block. Stu

https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/
Old 11-18-2016, 06:22 AM   #5
tmiller6

The Henry Ford does not collect royalties from reproduction parts. They do make agreements with the users of their historic prints. This information is all on their website and they want to know whether the print will be used for commercial use or personal use.

If you reproduce a Ford part and want to trademark the part with a Ford brand, then Ford Motor Company themselves get involved. The Henry Ford and Ford Motor Company are two different entities.

These are my personal observations and I do not presume to represent the Henry Ford or Ford Motor Company.
tmiller6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:26 AM   #6
JWL
Member Emeritus

There is one person who has a CORRECT CAD drawing. If he is interested in sharing his work he will respond.

Yes, I have the drawings which I obtained by submitting a request(and money) to The Henry Ford as mentioned above. I don't remember how many sheets(pages) make up the block? There are casting sheets and machining sheets in a variety of views and they are VERY difficult to gather complete information from. It can require hours to determine a single dimensional characteristic by working backward from several views.

JWL
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #7
Henry Floored

Gosh guys can't thank you enough. Appreciate it muchly.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
FortyNiner

That's quite an ambitious task and I applaud the vision.. I suppose a fellow could build a rocket with NASA drawings as well. Perhaps we could comission a competition.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #9
rotorwrench

Rapid prototyping is neat stuff but already having an old block in hand is a big advantage as long as a person is willing to deconstruct it to get all the dimensions. The new stereo lithography or 3D printing techniques make digitizing a lot easier than ever before.

Setting up a core box and making the cores is the end result but no one has done it in cast iron since SUMB stopped casting theirs some time in the late 80s or early 90s. A person also has to decide which block to recreate. The latest aluminum version from Motor City Flatheads or which ever related organization, was a compromise of old and new ideas to try and get a product that would move. So far, it hasn't moved much but at least they have a core box and some core molds to work with. Those guys have invested a lot of time and who knows how much money in that endeavor so far to no avail.

It would be great if some entrepreneur would eventually complete this near impossible task. I'll likely be long gone before anyone does though.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-19-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: spelling
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #10
Henry Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Rapid prototyping is neat stuff but already having an old block in hand is a big advantage as long as a person is willing to deconstruct it to get all the dimensions. The new stereo lithography or 3D printing techniques make digitizing a lot easier than ever before.

Setting up a core box and making the cores is the end result but no one has done it in cast iron since SUMB stopped casting theirs some time in the late 80s or early 90s. A person also has to decide which block to recreate. The latest aluminum version from Motor City Flatheads or which ever related organization, was a compromise of old and new ideas to try and get a product that would move. So far, it hasn't moved much but at lest they have a core box and some core molds to work with. Those guys have invested a lot of time and who knows how much money in that endeavor so far to no avail.

It would be great if some entrepreneur would eventually complete this near impossible task. I'll likely be long gone before anyone does though.
Well written and your thoughts are right on target.

In order to accomplish this or any task one must first get started. I know that I don't have a fraction of what it takes to do this but I am dumb enough to dream big.

My strategy is to create the concept. Mix in the goodness of what modern technology can do to help make an excellent end product. Then pray that some people will glom onto the dream and help make it a reality.

The basic vision is this: Outwardly identical to an 8BA. Complete interchangeability with current OEM Flathead parts. Reshaped intake and exhaust ports to improve breathing but stock inlet and outlet port locations. Large bore 3 1/2"? Well mostly because we can. No sense in leaving horsepower on the bar room floor.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:36 AM   #11
rotorwrench

I don't know if you remember this thread but Bruce included a photo of the original cores required to cast the block in post #12. I think this was an earlier block than the 59 series (221). The only thing missing is the box and it may have formed some of the outer shell but I don't know how much. By this you can see what molds have to be made to make all those cores. http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ght=core+molds

All that stuff has to be wired into the box in just the right position. It's a real can of worms when it is ready to pour the iron.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-19-2016 at 11:47 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote