Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #1
pgerhardt

Default Harbor Freight Blaster A PIA but Works

For all the big panels I have no problem with sanding off the paint by hand with my random orbital sanders starting with 80 grit and moving up. It allows me to uncover the paint history of the car and highlights the highs and lows that I have to deal with.

However this method is no good for the hood with all its louvers and hard ware! Bought with a coupon, I had a cheap Harbor Freight soda blaster (the blue one - not their red sand blaster), so I figured I'd give it a try. It was a slow PIA to use and the build quality is crap, but it works! The air line from the regulator to the tank blew out and was not repairable since it used a cheap One time use fitting. I had a 1/4" air line on hand that while too long, worked fine to replace it. You also have to fill the tank SLOWLY through the 3/4" hole that the outlet valve screws into.

But the bottom line is that if you have the time, patience, and a small budget - it will do the job. When finished my hood will have all the crisp clean lines it had when new.

As a plus, when done you will be able to hold a Christmas pageant in your now all white back yard! Actually clean up was easy. I just used a leaf blower to blow all the baking soda on the lawn where it will dissolve away during the next rain. A little less lawn lime will be needed next spring.

Keep in mind that soda blasting will NOT remove rust, but will easily remove paint while being very gentle on the metal underneath.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:32 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Harbor Freight Blaster A PIA but Works

If it works, why complain ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

http://www.theblastmasters.com/FAQs.html

"Sodablasting will remove light surface rust only. It will neutralize any remaining rust but will not bring the surface back to shiny metal. We normally remove all the paint, body filler and undercoating by soda blasting. Then in areas that are rusted we will use a very fine abrasive to remove the imbedded rust."
Old 11-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #4
ModAfan

Thanks for that.
ModAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #5
pgerhardt

As long as I was all set up to soda blast I went to Harbor Freight and bought two 40 pound bags of soda (Which come in cheap paper bags that are guaranteed to rip as soon as you try to move them!) and I pushed on to strip the rest of my 29 hood panels. You can see from the pictures that the rust lurking under the paint was not removed. I'll take care of that with some "Ospho" and abrasive pads. Also the old body work was left in tack which I'll take care of by hand sanding. It turns out that soda basting is a very gentle and precise process. I'll bet that with the correct pressure, distance, and experience I could remove the top coat and leave the primer with soda blasting. Here are a few tips I discovered for using the Harbor Freight blaster.

1. When looking down turning clockwise loosens the locking nut.
2. Unless you like clearing clogs don't fill the tank more than 1/3rd full with soda.
3. Don't even think of starting this process on anything other than a very dry day.
4. The velocity of the soda particles is more important than the volume, so turn down the volume control and save media.
5. Wear a mask or you will be breathing baking soda.
6. Work outside with the wind at your back.
7. When refilling the tank (something you will be doing quite often) with a funnel let the soda slide down one side of the funnel so air can escape the tank on the other side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 5.29.24 PM.jpg (56.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 5.30.16 PM.jpg (52.2 KB, 56 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #6
Doug in NJ

One more tip: if it's warm enough, wear just a bathing suit.

And always a mask! Otherwise you will be breathing baking soda and lead-based paint dust.

Doug
Old 11-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #7
mhsprecher

Not a great idea to have lead-based paint on your lawn. Maybe put plastic sheeting down and wrap it all up when you are done. Not a perfect solution, but it might help.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote