Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #21
Napa Skip

Default Re: Zipper Distributor??

Sacre bleu! Perhaps I'm just frugal (ok, "cheap") but can anyone explain - in some detail - the cost-benefit rationale behind a $500 distributor to replace what - imho - has apparently been a serviceable, reliable and (I can just hear the 'Oh you stick-in-the-mud" replies being prepared as I type this) easy to adjust/maintain unit for some 80+ years?

I will gladly stipulate that: (a) Model A owners are free (and welcome) to modify their vehicle(s) in any way they see fit; and (b) I have - in the past, it's currently sitting on the shelf - run a Mallory YL11A distributor for which I paid, in January 1977, $42.95 + tax & S/H. But I fail to see the benefit of this particular $500 "modification."

Sorry if some of the above seems "snarky" and I really would be interested in hearing of the benefits.
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

It lightens the wallet, and less weight equals more speed!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
1931 flamingo

Napa Skip: What's a new mallory cost today??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #24
Napa Skip

"...what's a new Mallory cost today?"

Fair question and - as regards the Mallory YL11A, which is a single-point centrifugal advance unit - I don't know (and looking at the current Mallory product list, it may no longer be offered). I didn't find anything in Mac's, Bratton's, Snyders, Mike's or Bert's for a similar Mallory unit, although the Petronix (with which I am not familiar) appears to go for about $290.

Escalating the January 1977 $42.95 price for increase in the CPI (58.5 in 1/77; 229.5 now) gives $168.50 (lol finding a new unit for that price) but I think all this begs the question of "what are the benefits of a $500 distributor?"

And while I'll admit panning the concept, that really was the question (what are the benefits?) and one I hoped to gain some insight into. I do not find it difficult or particularly onerous either to manually adjust the distributor advance while driving or to set the timing and point gap on a conventional setup, nor do I take issue with anyone wanting to spend $500 on a Zipper distributor. As for me I don't see the benefits (at least not yet).

As to lightening my wallet, putting two children through the University of California system took care of that quite well. In fact, if $500 lightens your wallet enough to go faster, then paying for 9 years total at UCLA and UC Davis means I ought to be somewhere around warp speed. Hang on Hans Solo...!! (Now that was a political comment...)

[And, just so I don't get taken to task by any Trekkies that might be lurking on Ford Barn, yes I do realize that I've mixed Warp Speed (Star Trek) with Hyperspace Drive (Star Wars)...Good grief!]
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #25
1931 flamingo

Napa Skip: I think there are a lot of people "new" to the A's who may not understand (or want to know) how the A "works. Judging by many of the questions (not knocking ANYONE) asked here. Many have never had a car with a choke, maybe even a carb,let alone manual control of a distributor. They may just want it to start, put it in gear, give it some gas and shift to the local cruise. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #26
Fred A

Default The Sales Handoff At FSI!

I burned up a module by leaving my car unattended and it stopped. Was pleased to get Mel who knew the problem well after my explanation of what I probably needed. The woman that took my order asked if I needed the pre wired plate with module. Wanting things to be as easy as possible for a few bucks more went for the plate complete. Not pleased when delivered, the plate was for a different setup. The plate was useless and transferred the module to my old plate. The new wires were shorter than the wires on the cooked module. Desperate by this time, removed the module and pulled the new wires tighter than a good fit would dictate and put it back together. A call to FSI netted me a warning that the problem was mine, in that i didn't tell the woman exactly what I had and that was....that. Moral of the story? Seems that as a customer we have to know as much as the guy who makes it. Never bad advice. I'm still quite pleased that these guys are still out there making products for our project toys. I've had cars that were not so well served as an old Ford and know what it's like to be an orphan. The price we pay: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #27
Big John

What is the big deal to use the stock setup ? Been good enuf for 84 yrs...
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote