Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2017, 11:53 PM   #21
Bruce Adams

Default Re: Wow! $35 for a leather strap?

This post is five years old and YES, leather belts, even at MArshalls are around $25 for a 36 inch one which is much more popular than twice that in thick, untreated leather.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:55 PM   #22
5window

If you were like me and lived in Amish country, you could probably get one for less at a harness shop. But, leather's expensive.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:59 AM   #23
DougVieyra

If you rarely use your accessory trunk, then the two straps make an nice 'finishing touch' of nostalgia - a visual piece of frosting that enhances the appearance of the trunk.

If you use your trunk frequently, you will most likely find it a real pain-in-the-ass to constantly have to buckle and unbuckle to gain access to your trunk's contents.

40 years ago I removed my leather straps and stowed them in the trunk. The four clasps and two latches work just fine to secure the lid. At the same time I removed the leather straps, I also bolted my accessory trunk to my original fixed trunk rack, so I don't need the straps to secure my trunk to the trunk rack.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #24
JDupuis

I live in Menonite area. My friend John just had 2 straps made, using his original buckles. The buckles are sewn in place at a harness maker. $30. For the pair. Jeff
Old 02-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #25
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDupuis View Post
I live in Menonite area. My friend John just had 2 straps made, using his original buckles. The buckles are sewn in place at a harness maker. $30. For the pair. Jeff
Yeah, if you live in those areas, there are a lot of very interesting things at the harness and farm shops you wouldn't think were available anymore.

As an aside, my Mennonite-steel wheel tractor- neighbors now put up my hay. Instead of my wife and me struggling with 70 year old equipment and taking a chance of work vs weather, they cut it (ALWAYS on time and dry and I don't know how), bale it, take it away, buy what I don't need out of my half and pay me a good price right away. Great folks to be neighbors with. Don't ask me how my "English" neighbor screwed it up the one season I let him do it.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #26
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
If you rarely use your accessory trunk, then the two straps make an nice 'finishing touch' of nostalgia - a visual piece of frosting that enhances the appearance of the trunk.

If you use your trunk frequently, you will most likely find it a real pain-in-the-ass to constantly have to buckle and unbuckle to gain access to your trunk's contents.

40 years ago I removed my leather straps and stowed them in the trunk. The four clasps and two latches work just fine to secure the lid. At the same time I removed the leather straps, I also bolted my accessory trunk to my original fixed trunk rack, so I don't need the straps to secure my trunk to the trunk rack.
My friend has a trunk in the bed of his pickup. It's one that Snyder's sells. He does use his trunk often and it was a PITA to buckle it all the time. He fashioned the straps so that it "looks" buckled but really isn't. Just uses the latches to keep it closed. Pretty neat setup.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #27
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
https://www.tandyleather.com/en/

I had Tandy Leather in Elgin, Il duplicate one of my trunk straps. I think they had scraps from other jobs that they used so it was cheap.... I believe they have facilities all over the US.. $12.00 for 72 inch leather strap as an example.

I also heard Tom Brady could make you one out of old deflated pig skins...
Oh boy, don't you be picking on my boy Tommy after yesterdays game, yikes
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #28
DougVieyra

CarlG, post #26:
"He fashioned the straps so that it "looks" buckled but really isn't."

Yes, Carl, I have seen a couple of original (circa 1920-'30s) trunks that were factory made that way. And for forty years, I have been meaning to 'getting around to it' to do the same thing on my trunk.

Your friend did not wait 40 years - smart man.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #29
ronn

Man, you want cheap beer,too?

For you beer men in the Northeast-try Yards All out of Philadelphia-a very nice Microbrew-in the low 30's for a case-better buy 4 of those belts so you can save enough for real beer..

Yuengling, the oldest brewery in America tastes fine by me.............

on ebay- I buy leather strapping material often and use a rivet gun to install.

ronn is offline   Reply With Quote