Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Preacher

Default Restoration Topic Ideas Needed

Are there any fresh ideas out there? what are some that you do not mind seeing numerous times? Have you seen a particular one that stands out? Our Minneapolis / St Paul area Club is looking for ideas on seminars to present to the members. We are a 50 year old club and have 1 or 2 restoration clinics per month given by very talented and informed people. - Frankly, we are running out of ideas!

http://tcmafc.org/

Last edited by Preacher; 05-21-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Restoration Topic Ideas Needed

I put one on concerning all the diferent types of Model A Ford data that was available during 1928-1931...of coarce I just touched on the subject.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Jason in TX

Continue doing brake workshops until every one of the Model As in your club can stop correctly.

Build tools like frame spreaders or spring spreaders. Make manifold cooking boxes for the touring cars so they can cook or warm a meal on the engine on one of your next trips. Make tool boxes that mount between the front bumper supports and below the grill shell. Add turn signals to a club car.

Touring modifications, OD transmissions, F1 steering boxes, Weber Carbs, Aries Mufflers, Flathead Teds brake floaters. A/C installation

Open up an engine and have a few workshops to get people more comfortable with the engine internals and ease of repair. Head gasket replacement, checking valves, changing out a cam.
Or assemble an engine with some worn out parts to show how they all go together and then see how long it will run on no oil or water (Dallas club did that. It was AWESOME!) After the engine cooled down from cherry red, it started up again! These little motors are tough!

Rebuild some spare transmissions. Straighten a bare frame. Fix some fenders.

Replacing a fabric top insert. Putting a top on a Sport Coupe or Cabriolet Installing a roll down rear window in a coupe. Converting a trunk car to rumble seat.

Those are some of the common questions that come up on Ford Barn, and some of the ones I would love to go to.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Brubaker

Very well thought-out response Elrod. Always enjoyable to read something that makes you think "now that's a good idea".
Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Bill Goddard

How about building a complete set of replacement wood parts for a sedan. I bought all the ash and oak I needed for $400. Sure keeps the cost of restoration down if you have access to the tools.
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Jim Parker Toronto

I think Elrods first response was a good one! There's always someone who would rather buy a piece of shiny chrome, than fix their brakes!
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
Preacher

just monitoring for now...... EXCELLENT ideas so far! keep 'em coming.

http://tcmafc.org/
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrod View Post
Continue doing brake workshops until every one of the Model As in your club can stop correctly.

Build tools like frame spreaders or spring spreaders. Make manifold cooking boxes for the touring cars so they can cook or warm a meal on the engine on one of your next trips. Make tool boxes that mount between the front bumper supports and below the grill shell. Add turn signals to a club car.

Touring modifications, OD transmissions, F1 steering boxes, Weber Carbs, Aries Mufflers, Flathead Teds brake floaters. A/C installation

Open up an engine and have a few workshops to get people more comfortable with the engine internals and ease of repair. Head gasket replacement, checking valves, changing out a cam.
Or assemble an engine with some worn out parts to show how they all go together and then see how long it will run on no oil or water (Dallas club did that. It was AWESOME!) After the engine cooled down from cherry red, it started up again! These little motors are tough!

Rebuild some spare transmissions. Straighten a bare frame. Fix some fenders.

Replacing a fabric top insert. Putting a top on a Sport Coupe or Cabriolet Installing a roll down rear window in a coupe. Converting a trunk car to rumble seat.

Those are some of the common questions that come up on Ford Barn, and some of the ones I would love to go to.
all great ideas except that last one.
should say: convert a rumble seat car to a trunk.

one more idea: how to color whitewall tires so they will stay black....

ever the troublemaker,
-C in J
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
Jason in TX

Actually, I hear ya Chris in Jax. I love the trunk on my coupe. Glad I didn't convert it to a rumble. On my cabriolet half the time I wind up taking the cushions out of it to put stuff in the back, too. Trunk A's are under rated.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote