Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Al/Lindley

Default Rear end has problems?

I have a 1930 pickup. While coasting slowly down my driveway (which has a slight slope)with the clutch pushed to the floor and the transmission in neutral, something in the rear end or driveline will grab after coasting a few feet and actually stop the car. I thought it was a brake so I jacked it up and checked. All wheels turned freely. Is there something else that would cause the car to behave this way? If I put it in gear and drive it handles normally. No noises or issues of any kind. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Al/Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Rear end has problems?

Just because the transmission is in neutral does not exclude it from the equasion.

The U-joint can also be a problem, or possibly a pinion bearing is coming apart causing the pinion to climb the ring gear. To check the transmission, drain it first and inspect the grease. Then pull the cover to see if any foreign objects. On the rear end, check the grease first but just loosen the drivers side housing bolts, remove the driver's side spring hanger (shackle), and remove the passenger side brake drum. The axle & diff. assy will slide out the driver's side and you can inspect.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Jim Parker Toronto

I would suspect the universal could be defective, but I would follow Brents advice first before you go to all the work involved in removing parts. Check the fluids carefully for any "parts"
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
Geo. H

I'd pull the drums and check for a loose or damaged brake lining before I did anything else.
Geo. H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:48 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al/Lindley View Post
I have a 1930 pickup. While coasting slowly down my driveway (which has a slight slope)with the clutch pushed to the floor and the transmission in neutral, something in the rear end or driveline will grab after coasting a few feet and actually stop the car. I thought it was a brake so I jacked it up and checked. All wheels turned freely. Is there something else that would cause the car to behave this way? If I put it in gear and drive it handles normally. No noises or issues of any kind. Any thoughts? Thanks!
I had the identical problem when I first started driving my 28. It was a brake lining grabbing. Check your drums and brakes including the parking brake for any signs of rubbing, bent drum, etc. If you painted your drums and have any overspray on the braking surface, they can be very grabby.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
Rowdy
BANNED

Simular problem with the chassis I purchased for the delivery. Turns out some one had welded in the wheel studs and the welds were hitting on the e-brake carrier. The carriers were ruined. Rod

Last edited by Rowdy; 05-21-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote