Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
30ccpickup

Default Wrap Tools – No Scratch

Two questions, with the first being the most important to me:

1. What are some of the modifications made to your tools to prevent them from scratching your car?

2. Are their certain areas of the vehicle being worked on where you feel that a modification of a tool is required else you are almost guaranteed to scratch it?

Thanks,
Paul

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Wrap Tools – No Scratch

Personally, we do not use anything more than quality tools, ....most of which are hand tools used to assemble the cars we work on. In most circumstances, I can guarantee you that we DO scratch each and every vehicle we restore during the assembly process. In all scenarios, we are able to easily touch-up any scratch or chip where it is undetectable. I think you are over-worrying about this.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
FL&WVMIKE

I was at a National V8 Meet, several years ago, and a fellow had to take off a water pump, but had no tools. My buddy took over some tools and the guy looked at them and DEMANDED 6 point wrenches. My friend, just quitely, gathered up his tools and took them back to his car.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
I was at a National V8 Meet, several years ago, and a fellow had to take off a water pump, but had no tools. My buddy took over some tools and the guy looked at them and DEMANDED 6 point wrenches. My friend, just quitely, gathered up his tools and took them back to his car.
MIKE (mikeburch)
Smart move.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #5
Cape Codder

In answer to 30ccpickup question:
I have just had my wheels powder coated and did not want to scratch them in any way so.... my 1/2" drive extension and the socket I use both have plastic tubing covering each.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #6
w.michael

On the four-way lug wrench I use for my Model A wheels, I put spacers inside the wrench to keep the wrench from going too far onto the lug nut. I want the wrench to go well onto the nut, but not far enough to bottom out against the wheel paint. (I used cork gasket material, which I hammered against the end of the wrench to "cut" it to the proper size and shape.) I also wrap the shaft of that socket to keep it from scuffing the spokes. (I have used fabric for this, taped into place; I have also used just tape wrapped around the shaft.)

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

when installing pre- painted screws put masking tape on the screw driver blade to prevent it from chipping
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
DougVieyra

A Car WITHOUT a scratch is not authentic ! The FORD FACTORY produced them that way, and so should you. For REAL authenticity, make sure your restoration has a scratch (or two, or three).
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:45 AM   #9
30ccpickup

No car deserves a scratch when caution can be taken. Especial yours when I am helping out with it. Members are asking for help with their cars, and I don't, want to put on the 1st scratch since new paint. I can't touch it up and hide it like the factory could. I would not buy a new car with a scratch. I would point it out and make them fix it! I am just a friend, they would be stuck with it.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:10 AM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
A Car WITHOUT a scratch is not authentic ! The FORD FACTORY produced them that way, and so should you. For REAL authenticity, make sure your restoration has a scratch (or two, or three).
tell that to the judges,,, see how far it gets ya
Old 01-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #11
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30ccpickup View Post
No car deserves a scratch when caution can be taken. Especial yours when I am helping out with it. Members are asking for help with their cars, and I don't, want to put on the 1st scratch since new paint. I can't touch it up and hide it like the factory could. I would not buy a new car with a scratch. I would point it out and make them fix it! I am just a friend, they would be stuck with it.
my advice is if your afraid to scratch a friends car when helping him take all precautions to cover it well with a clean soft towel and also use paint masking tape if need be to protect areas. otherwise just stay away form it and let them scratch it...
a nick or scratch can be successfully repaired if you have the proper touch up paint, then building up the area little by little with paint till its level with the outside edges. this takes time to let each coat dry::::: then polish the area
ask me how i know...
as brent mentioned assembling a car its impossible to not have issues.
of course your eye may always see something because you know what happen but no one else will notice anything
Old 01-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #12
larrys40

As Brent and Mitch said , it is just part of the process, be carefully, wise, And prudent when assembling are the best guides
I have used electrical tape at times for a cushion on some fasteners if space permits. Always make sure you get them tight. There are pliers out there with soft protective jaws
I always do a couple if rounds of touch up . When doing heavy engine work I use multiple furniture blankets over fenders and take every precaucious measure I can
If something happens and it will at some point you just fix it
As Mitch said you do a good touch up job and no one will know

Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:09 PM   #13
Wingnutz

I was helping an old gent reassemble a 1931 Victoria and before he was ready to drop the body on his glistening chassis he grabbed a ball pean hammer and gave that frame a whack. I asked him why he did that and he told me that there were two reasons... 1st was to get it out of the way by deliberately damaging the finish in an inconspicuous spot so that you'll not accidentally scratch it in an obvious spot.

2nd reason was that nothing must be construed as "perfect" because only God is perfect!
Wingnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:08 AM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnutz View Post
I was helping an old gent reassemble a 1931 Victoria and before he was ready to drop the body on his glistening chassis he grabbed a ball pean hammer and gave that frame a whack. I asked him why he did that and he told me that there were two reasons... 1st was to get it out of the way by deliberately damaging the finish in an inconspicuous spot so that you'll not accidentally scratch it in an obvious spot.

2nd reason was that nothing must be construed as "perfect" because only God is perfect!
My Grandfather would say is they are looking for a mistake wy disappoint them.

Only my lug wrenches have tape on them.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:14 AM   #15
colin1928

A few years back I help with the restoration of a Mustang a 100% bare metal resto
when I saw it painted I spotted a paint run in the engine bay pointed it out to the painter
Who told me that took 3 goes to get right and was meant to be there I said what the F--- he then showed me the judging guide book and yes it is meant to have the run
Needless to say while correct it is over the top IMO
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:39 AM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1928 View Post
A few years back I help with the restoration of a Mustang a 100% bare metal resto
when I saw it painted I spotted a paint run in the engine bay pointed it out to the painter
Who told me that took 3 goes to get right and was meant to be there I said what the F--- he then showed me the judging guide book and yes it is meant to have the run
Needless to say while correct it is over the top IMO
I think some miss the fun in this, ...and thus why they do not understand. For many people, just assembling a component no longer presents a challenge. In this scenario, the Painter would have been bored just painting the engine bay, -however add the challenge of replicating EXACTLY how something was originally, and to them a new challenge is presented. I think it is much akin to a youngster learning to ride a bicycle. To some, it is a big deal to be able to graduate from piloting a tricycle to riding a bike with training wheels. Not a thing wrong with training wheels either, -but after awhile the rider needs a higher challenge, so the training wheels come off. After awhile, just riding on two wheels become mundane where stunts (wheelies, jumps, etc.) are added while riding to increase the challenge. Restoring Model-As is much like that where sometimes the 'rider' needs a little more challenge in his journey. Thus, restoring a car to a Fine-point level of authenticity is the challenge for some.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #17
Chris Haynes

After the rolling chassis was assembeled at Ford the scratches were touched up.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #18
Mitch//pa
BANNED

look they have a loaded rear spring not installed in the body..
dont they know thats a no no....
i hope OSHA does not walk in

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-20-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #19
Patrick L.

I'd like to know how the rear spring was attached, in that, to the crossmember or the axle first.
I think I know, but,,,,,,
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote