Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #101
jkeesey

Default Re: Mac's survey

I've never had a problem with Macs either. I'm also a dealer for them and have had them call me when backordered parts are in stock. They are still slower than dealing with Snyders or Brattons.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #102
Shadetree

I have to say overall that I like Mac's and order from them more than anyone else. I received a survey too and told them that the biggest issue is not shipping, not personnel, not the pricing, but the quality of some of their parts. For example, last summer when I installed a newly rebuilt flathead V-8 in my `51 Ford pickup, I put in a new pressure plate, new clutch and new throw out bearing, all made in China from Mac's. Within a day or so the clutch started chattering and the throw out bearing was squealing. It is a lot of work to pull the transmission to replace these items once again. I found a USA made throw out bearing and hopefully can get an original Ford pressure plate and clutch rebuilt at Fort Wayne Clutch. Still, it is a lot work for something that should have been right to start with. I know new American parts are almost impossible to come by, but I would be willing to pay more and be a lot happier with good quality American made parts. Other than that I have no beef with Mac's. Their prices are competitive with other vendors and I ordered some parts late yesterday and they shipped today, and I did not pay extra for the fast ship option...

Bud Reynolds
Cottageville, WV
Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #103
jkeesey

The other thing I noticed with shipping is to say you want it RUSH. Not sure if its just for dealer accounts or not but depending on the time it may go out the same day.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #104
Hotrodmyk

I have not received the survey and am kind of disappointed. I have (had) dealt with Mac's since the early '90's. Lately the shipping has become very slow (2 to 3 weeks to fill and order) plus shipping time and very expensive. I have heard the same thing from other members in my MAFCA chapter too. I have gone elsewhere with my last couple of orders. Sorry Mac's.
Hotrodmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #105
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
I have to say overall that I like Mac's and order from them more than anyone else. I received a survey too and told them that the biggest issue is not shipping, not personnel, not the pricing, but the quality of some of their parts. For example, last summer when I installed a newly rebuilt flathead V-8 in my `51 Ford pickup, I put in a new pressure plate, new clutch and new throw out bearing, all made in China from Mac's. Within a day or so the clutch started chattering and the throw out bearing was squealing. It is a lot of work to pull the transmission to replace these items once again. I found a USA made throw out bearing and hopefully can get an original Ford pressure plate and clutch rebuilt at Fort Wayne Clutch. Still, it is a lot work for something that should have been right to start with. I know new American parts are almost impossible to come by, but I would be willing to pay more and be a lot happier with good quality American made parts. Other than that I have no beef with Mac's. Their prices are competitive with other vendors and I ordered some parts late yesterday and they shipped today, and I did not pay extra for the fast ship option...

Bud Reynolds
Cottageville, WV
One thing I agree with, and simply can't understand why you continue to buy from them, is, if the quality is bad why buy from them? That has been my complaint about them, is they don't carry the best quality part when a few sources are available. More Chinese stuff than the other vendors. Their prices are often lower, but not always.

Last edited by Russ/40; 02-02-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #106

Unhappy Re: Mac's survey

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
In company with another restorer I placed an online order with Mac's on a Friday which was acknowledged, followed by a week before money was taken out of the account. I then received an itemised note via e-mail in which the freight cost had gone from the original quote of $179.92 to $251.41. The order was for engine parts and a length of long grain roof material, 20ft, 10 for me 10 for my friend. The parts came in a medium flat box and the material on a roll 64" wide. The freight was to Tasmania, Australia. Total time from placement to receiving was two weeks three days, which for an overseas order I would consider not a bad delivery. My rub, over fifty percent of the goods made" overseas--R.O.C"
and of course not pleased about the extra freight costs. I purchased a radiator shell from a local Australian vendor, again made in R.O.C. looked nice, but poor sharp edged finish and the metal is not as good as the originals. Why do some vendors not accept your charge card with their on line order system---makes it difficult for first time buyers, faxes and the like.
This is not a vendor bashing episode, but it has happened.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:57 AM   #107
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
It's the new owners doing the survey. Must have heard the grumbling and are trying to improve the business, which makes a great deal of sense. JMO
Paul in CT
Mac's has come here and straightened out some things and, to me, seems like the new owners are trying to fix the complaints they are reading here.

Maybe things will get better but it will need the pissed off customers to try again to see if they notice any difference.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #108
Shadetree

One thing I agree with, and simply can't understand why you continue to buy from them, is, if the quality is bad why buy from them? That has been my complaint about them, is they don't carry the best quality part when a few sources are available. More Chinese stuff than the other vendors. Their prices are often lower, but not always.

Russ/40 If you have a source for a new American made clutch and pressure plate for my `51 F1, please share it with me. I'll be happy to deal with them.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #109
1931 flamingo

Shadetree: Most of the fellows on the EV8 site swear by fort wayne clutch...................FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #110
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Shadetree: Most of the fellows on the EV8 site swear by fort wayne clutch...................FWIW
Paul in CT
Thanks Paul,
That was my next step as I mentioned in my first post. But I need originals to get rebuilt, as I don't believe Fort Wayne sells new sets. eBay is a good source but some of them are Chinese made like I have. The Chinese made are easily identified; there are no adjustments on the pressure plate. I sold the old ones along with the 6 cylinder engine that I removed from the truck knowing I had a source for new ones.

Thank you for your help.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #111
KansasV8

Well, I didn't know this thread was on the Model A part of the Ford Barn. Yesterday I put a thread on the Early V-8 site saying I was done with Mac's. I didn't know ownership changed but found out that shipping sure has changed. I was ordering two B fuel pump kits, two V-8 points sets, two condensers. You could hold all of it in the palm of one hand, merchandise under $180 yet shipping was $29.99 That's it for me with Mac's. I never had any problem with quality of parts or shipping time but this shipping is unreasonable. I know what I was ordering could fit in one medium sized flat rate box at the post office for around $10.

If Mac's goes back to a actual shipping cost charge then I will consider doing business with them but now it's Snyders and Brattons for me.

Glad to see I ain't the only one on this island of disappointment. Maybe there is enough of us that they will change the policy. Looks like several thousands of dollars of sales lost just in this thread with the above 110 post.
KansasV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #112
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasV8 View Post
. Looks like several thousands of dollars of sales lost just in this thread with the above 110 post.
More than that, there are professional restorers that won't use them either.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #113
Jazzjr

Huh! -- this is what happened to me today, with their 15 Percent Anniverisary Special...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 5:42 PM
To: customerservice
Subject: Order Number: W255478

Dear sirs, Order Number: W255478 I have requsted you ship USPS Priorty
Mail, Flat Rate Box Please. (Order is all Small Pieces is for Carburetor Rebuilding, Gaskets, Jets, and all small things weighing no more than 1/2 Lbs. $ 17.99
???? excessive shiipping) and also THIS ORDER IS BEING SHIPPED TO
FLORIDA 33955, WHY AM I BEING CHARGED NYS STATE TAX ??

Thanks Joe La Peter
Order Number: W255478

Subject: RE: Order Number: W255478
Sir,
In regards to your email, we unfortunately at this time base shipping on dollar amount so with the dollar amount of your order, your shipping is at a flat rate fee of $17.99. I apologize but we currently don't do flat rate for priority as we go by a flat rate shipping so even if we go by mail, shipping will still be $17.99. Also, the reason you are being charged state tax is because we have paired up with Eckler's so we have businesses in NY, GA, and FL so those states now get charged sales tax. I have your order holding at my desk, so please advise how you would like to handle. If there is anything else I can help you with, please advise.

Thank you,
Phyllis K.
Customer Service Supervisor
[email protected]
1-800-777-0948 Ext 384
or
Direct Line 716-204-9384
MAC's Antique Auto Parts
www.macsautoparts.com
Your One Stop Source for Quality Part and Accessories for your 1909-70's Ford&Mercury

My Responce;
Subject: RE: Order Number: W255478Thank you for the Explantion Phyllis. Please cancel the Order, as a couple of your items were higher then Snyders, or Brattons. With the 15 percent off Special you match them. Sorry but like the recent Posts on the Ford Barn, I can no longer use Mac's, Your Shipping is too High, as others will ship USPS Proiorty flat rate to save customers $ and also Your shipping is Very slow. When I have oredered from you in NY state, you are only 250 Miles from Crown Point NY it usually thakes 5 to 6 days to reach me with you using UPS.and a + for the Post Office they ship on Saturdays. Sorry but if Mac's wants bussiness, they should Pay attention to their competers Policys.
Maybe someone in the front office should read ths Thread on the Model A Ford Barn site.over 110 Posts, 90% Neg. and 6,160 Views.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95109

Thank You Joe LaPeter
My Order;
Order Detail:
Part#

Unit Price

Quantity
Line Total
A9570
Model A Ford Zenith Carburetor Adjustment Needle Driver - Cadmium Plated

$8.95
$17.90
A9548
Model A Ford Zenith Carburetor Choke Shaft Lever - Stamped Steel - Later Version

$2.75
$2.75
A1109T
Model A Ford Hub Bolt Installation Tool

$7.95
$7.95
A3440S
Model A Ford Radius Rod Ball Cap Kit - Original Type - Stamped Steel - 15 Pieces

$26.00
$26.00
A9586
Model A Ford Zenith Carburetor Venturi - Single

$4.95
$9.90
A9512D
Model A Ford Zenith Carburetor Bowl Bolt & Washer - Cadmium

$0.85
$0.85
A9577L
Model A Ford Zenith Carburetor Idle Mixture Screw & Spring - Cadmium

$2.95
$2.95
B9440
Model A Ford Exhaust Manifold Gland Ring Set - Steel - 4 Pieces

$3.25
$3.25
A9547N
Model A Ford Zenith Carburetor Choke Shaft Nut - And Washer

$0.50
$0.50
A9549/85MB
Model A Ford Zenith Carburetor Choke & Throttle Plate Screw Set - 4 Pieces

$0.80
$0.80
A9581S
Model A Ford Zenith Carburetor Idle Stop Screw - Cadmium Plated

$0.35
$0.35
A9581BU
Model A Ford Zenith Carburetor Throttle Shaft - Knurled Bushings

$1.95
$1.95
A9590A
Model A Ford Zenith & Tillotson Carburetor Lower Drain Plug - Cadmium

$1.95
$1.95
A9582A
Model A Ford Zenith Carburetor Throttle Shaft - For Brass Throttle Arm

$5.75
$5.75
A9549
Model A Ford Zenith Carburetor Choke Shutter Plate - Cadmium Plated

$1.95
$1.95
A9596S
Model A Ford Zenith Carburetor Gasket Set - 8 Pieces

$1.35
$4.05
A9558
Model A Ford Zenith Carburetor Float Pin - Cadmium

$0.40
$0.80
A9547
Model A Ford Zenith Carburetor Choke Shaft - Brass

$5.50
$5.50
A9545
Model A Ford Zenith Carburetor Secondary Well

$4.15
$4.15
Item Subtotal:
$99.30
Sales Tax:
$7.17
Shipping:
$17.99
Order Total:
$109.56
Promotional Savings:
($14.90)

Last edited by Jazzjr; 02-05-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #114
montanafordman

I had a very large order of rear end parts with them last year. My ring gear was not in stock and I waited 3 months for them to get it. I would call about every week and would get told they should have them in stock next week then nothing. I guess don't promise what you cannot deliver. I finnally gave up and spent more ordering from Snyders but they have always had VERY fast shipping, excellent communication when things were out of stock, and a well laid out website that is easy to navigate. Brattons has also been good to deal with and has had excellent service. It seems many vendors have ways to put themselves out there over the competition in different areas - either by having parts manufactured to their own specifications and being very up front about which ones are best and where they are made, or having original parts on hand, or making their own wiring sets, proximity to me, etc. Macs catalog details, ordering, and shipping cost and expediency do not impress me like the others and with them being all the way out in NY it gives me little reason to do business with them over other vendors.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #115
dick lyons

guys, are snyders and bratton only model a parts? if they also sell v8 can someone give info on how to get thier catalouges? thanks, dick from del.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #116
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick lyons View Post
guys, are snyders and bratton only model a parts? if they also sell v8 can someone give info on how to get thier catalouges? thanks, dick from del.
Little Dearborn in Minneapolis, MN sells early V8 parts. 612-331-2066
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #117
KansasV8

I just placed my order with Joe's. Exact same order as I had the problem with mac's. Mac's shipping charge was $29.99 while Joe charged less than $9.00 And we had a very pleasant conversation. Only way I will consider doing business with Mac's again is if they are the only one with something available.

Thanks guys for making me aware of Joe's.
KansasV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #118
oldironfarmer

I am a New Macs customer. I have been buying from Sac Vintage for years because I can drive there. But lately 50% of what I want is back ordered. So I decide to try Macs. What gets under my skin is they ask me to pay $3.50 to prioritize my order in their system. I am not worried about the $$, it is the principle, asking me to pay extra for what should be normal customer service. I made an order two days ago and it has still not been processed, shipped or charged to my card. Guess I should have popped for the $3.50. Every order from every customer should be treated as priority, period.
oldironfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #119
WRA

Macs has tanked. I used to be a loyal customer and spent over $3k per year in just mail order. No more. The high shipping, sales tax and botched orders has ended my relationship with them.

Eklers, Macs or who ever you are. You have fouled up a good company. Good bye!!!
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #120
Franchise_24

I thought about giving Macs a try, but when I needed a vacuum wiper rebuild kit and saw they wanted $61.00 for the exact same kit I got at Gas Light for 19.99, I said no thanks. :-(