Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #32
Ken Ehrenhofer

Default Re: The Lee Roy Hartung Collection Auction = Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
I'm curious, what are you going to do with the police alarm that was on the door?
On the way home I realized that a couple of items were still on the bus or laying inside and I did not want to loose track of them so early the next morning I went back and removed the police bell on the door and found the lighted CHICAGO sign that Lee had put on the roof. I was not sure how the door would survive with the bell on it because I do not know if the bus ever was run with the bell on it. So it was removed for the trip home. One of the auction folks who was trying to reach an upper shelf in the barn tried to stand on the roof and broke a few of the wood bows.... luckily no one was hurt but we built a 2x4 support inside and added to the 4x4's they already had put in so the trip home would not damage it further.
So it was then tarped (rain threatening) stretch wrapped and flat bedded home. When home we used car dollies under the two rear wheels as they are frozen because of ten inches of mud and water over the years.the back of the barn flooded regularly.
I have saved the police bell and actually rang it. A little WD40 and a six volt battery and it gongs real cool.
The Chicago sign really got me as I am a real Chicagoan born and raised in this great city and even have given "Tours of Chicago" to people from all over the world. The sign will hang in my shop and I got to figure out how to lit it once again.
This experience has been wonderful as I won the bid a cheering section from Model Aers went up from the back row. I was so nervous as I never bought anything at auction before..... and I always new Lee had this bus but I never thought I would ever own it.... It is really cool and really, really big. No It is REALLY BIG!
I have it stored next to a Model A Fire truck and it makes the truck look small. I am already receiving help from people in doing research and learning more about the bus. It appears it is not a school bus but rather a passenger bus with woodgrain interior and mirrors on each window. The big roof gave head room for the adults.
I can't wait to get into it but other projects have to come first. I am trying to get two vehicles done for Osh Kosh and Marquette so the bus will just have to wait.....
Thanks,
Ken
No Plans for the bell other than to hang it up in the shop. It was not a police paddy wagon as advertised and when restored it will be returned to it's bus look. Greenfield Village has the exact same bus so I am looking forward to trip there again.
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote