Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2017, 07:42 AM   #21
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: ~ Who owns the highest VIN number 1932 built Model A Ford?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
Thanks for the information Pluck!

There was some guy on eBay last year offering a "barn find" wreck of a Model A Ford pickup truck that he advertised as being built in 1932. No VIN number was provided. Aside from that. I've not seen any other references to very late assembled A Model Fords.

So . . . is the number for total Model A Ford production of 4,858,644 historically valid?

The engine number in our 31' Tudor A48209xx, was figured to have been produced sometime around October of 1931. During that great transitional period, what might the lead time for a completed engine be to catch up with vehicle production? To my understanding, in normal times, that period was a month or more, give or take. Most likely, by late 1931, the engine/VIN numbers were in very random mode.
It "could" be, but still unknown AND you just can not say the "Model A" (cars and commercial vehicles) without including all of the "Model AA" Trucks also...I know for a FACT that Ford made them up to the end of 1932 and more than likely up to 1936 BUT I still need to see the 1933-1936 Monthly Assembly Record Tyoe documets to say for sure. For cars, it perty much ended in November 1932, Santaoga assembling 8 Phaetons but the commercial and trucks continued beyond 1932...we will see in a few weeks.

I have 1932 down perty good...interesting to say the least.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #22
john charlton

As I guess you mean USA production not overseas plants so this serial will not count . Fords Dagenham England plant built AA trucks into 1936 .I had a 1935 truck serial number AA 4981139 but since sold .Some later trucks had higher numbers than this but I think stopped just short of 5000000.

John in cool evening Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:19 AM   #23
Bick in New Zealand

John was that a A block or a B block stamped with A numbers?

Cheers

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:52 AM   #24
RonC

How long did Russia produce Model A's
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:52 AM   #25
Chippy Minton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
It is known that starting sometime in January 1932 "assembly" of Model A Ford vehicles started up again. Figured is that those cars were put together from left-over 1931 Model A components. I believe you are correct on that thought. This may be the wrong answer...the one who really thinks he knows won't elaborate on the subject except that those who think this was the case: "Also, Ford did not produce vehicles from any ‘leftover’ parts.
That is a complete lack of understanding how the Ford production system was organized and was operated, and it is one of the wives tales often printed that makes me cringe. Statements like that have no credibility".

Pluck/fPluck/???????
Perhaps you are being a bit pedantic re the definition of leftover. If the was was replaced by unused or unassembled would you find that acceptable? The question is, did the production line stop because there were no more engines, chassis and bodywork available or for another reason?
Chippy Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:01 AM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I am going to add a couple of comments to this...

First, there is often a misconception that Ford "used up" remaining parts. The issue with that mindset is that every component which was ever manufactured was planned for. For example, if Mr. Langley was over the foundry, and Mr. Plucker was over the Machine Shop, Jim didn't just come in one morning and randomly say "Boys lets make 2,000 spindles today." A work order was given to him on exactly what he was to manufacture, how many, and down to the seconds on the length of time. Old Steve in the Machine Shop was scheduled too, and he didn't just choose the items he wanted to work on that day. Info also shows that Ford force-fed his Agencies with product, and therefore management knew exactly what they were going to build and what was to be service replacement items and what was to be vehicles.

The reason for the assembly line halt was due to production target dates had to be met, and the lines needed to be tooled and changed-out. The Model B & 18 was much more complex of a vehicle than the A. While the Judging Standards are extensive, a book showing the 'inside complexities' of how Ford scheduled and fulfilled the peripheral support to actually manufacture the A would be beyond mind-boggling. And to think it was all performed without computers!

I agree with the calling-out on opinions vs. facts. 'Purists' often get dissed for wasting their time worrying over items that seem trivial to others however the Corvette and the Model-A are the two most documented vehicles on the planet. This did not happen solely based on speculation or opinion. I have been around this hobby for over 50 years now, and one of the biggest issues that likely plagues this hobby is the hobbyists that use hearsay and their speculation to educate others.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #27
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
In November Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dearborn, Denver, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Omaha, Portland, Richmond, Somerville, and Twin City stopped production.

In December Atlanta, Charlotte, Chester, Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Houston, Long Beach, Louisville, Memphis, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Norfolk, and Oklahoma City stopped production.

January 1932 St. Louis stopped production.

In April 1932 the Edgewater plant stopped production. That was the last of the domestic (USA) assembling of the Model A Ford.
Not to stray too far off topic, but is there any way to identify which plant a particular car was built at?
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #28
RawhideKid
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automotive Stud View Post
Not to stray too far off topic, but is there any way to identify which plant a particular car was built at?
Only from the stamping on the cross member at the front of your front seat.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #29
BILL WILLIAMSON

"HISTORY" is not always accurate/valid, some writers may have written/speld/punctuated, like ME!
My Family Tree shows my Dad, married to my Mothers' YOUNGEST Sister, who was young enough to be my Fathers' Daughter.--LOL--It also lists me, as havin' a "NO NAME" Brother!---"Maybe" they confused him with my DOG, Bulger???
Bill Anonymous
Old 06-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #30
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawhideKid View Post
Only from the stamping on the cross member at the front of your front seat.
Too Bad, it's so pitted on my car I'd never be able to make out any markings like that.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #31
john charlton

Hi Bick in New Zealand . It had a factory stamped B block . From 1932 AA trucks came from Dagenham with B engines . They had the B oil pan without the shroud attached at the rear . If you check out the "model A house" site there is information on these trucks .

John in lovely dry weather Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:14 PM   #32
Bick in New Zealand

Thanks John, I have come across a couple here in New Zealand, one with a known history since new. They both had B blocks.

Cheers

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote