Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 12:04 AM   #41
TerryH

Default Re: Woven brake linings and Cast Iron drums

I have bonded linings and shoes that were bought from Randy's dad, Mel, several years ago, along with cast iron drums. I seem to also remember an article in the Model A Times that specifically recommended bonded linings with cast iron drums; perhaps John Lavoy can chime in with his findings and comments, as well as Randy.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:22 AM   #42
H. L. Chauvin

Just in case any Model A owner is looking for a recommendation on which types of mechanical brakes to install on a Model A Ford for "Life Safety", per reply #41, and that of so many other former Forum replies, several years ago, Mr. Mel Gross sent me his "highly" recommended bonded linings with his cast iron drums that I installed on my Town Sedan.

No problems because these guys are professional, well experienced Model A brake people who know what they are doing .... and they not only do this every day ..... they also back up and warrant their professional services.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:50 AM   #43
Y-Blockhead

You would think that the vendors would sell matched drums and shoes. For example 'most' vendors sell cast iron drums and woven shoes. In fact the only Vendor that sells both woven and molded shoes (that I have seen) is MAC's, with the molded shoes being cheaper.

The only thing I have heard about drums and shoes is you shouldn't use molded shoes with steel drums.

I too look forward to Randy's comments.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #44
redmodelt

I am adding this because I too want to learn. What are the drums cast from iron or steel? As in cast iron vs cast steel.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #45
robgross1930
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Just in case any Model A owner is looking for a recommendation on which types of mechanical brakes to install on a Model A Ford for "Life Safety", per reply #41, and that of so many other former Forum replies, several years ago, Mr. Mel Gross sent me his "highly" recommended bonded linings with his cast iron drums that I installed on my Town Sedan.

No problems because these guys are professional, well experienced Model A brake people who know what they are doing .... and they not only do this every day ..... they also back up and warrant their professional services.
Why do your comments always seem to imply that others who have posted in this thread do not know what they're doing nor have any professional experience as compared to a fellow who came on the scene a few years back trying to make a dollar off cheaper, Chinese made, gray iron drums which are not as strong nor as safe as the drums made of ductile iron sold by the main catalog vendors?

Last edited by robgross1930; 01-01-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #46
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Rob,

FWIW:

With kindest regards, if you would like to obtain an experience that you will never forget, many on this Forum would agree that you could have this experience by going to the Model A Club where the most honorable, (now deceased), Mr. Mel Gross once resided, and try giving your arm chair lecture to his former Model A Club,(and to his son Randy), on Mr. Mel Gross's attempt to come on the scene just a few years back, while trying to make dollars off of his cheap gray cast iron drums.

Your most compassionate responses might or might not be educational.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #47
quickchange

Hey lets keep this site nice & friendly in 2017 , no bagging folk that want to help , opinions are fine , If there are some dodgy drums out there how about telling us all in the interest of safety. I wonder how many knowledgeable folk no longer offer advise here cause someone always jumps on them , I know of several & that's a loss too us all. Derek in a hot NZ,
Old 01-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #48
Mel Gross

I was just getting ready to copy and paste detailed information in regards to our (my dad's and mine) research into which brake lining that should be used with both stamped steel and cast iron brake drums, but after reading some of the above threads, I have decided it is best to not reply and to get off of the Ford Barn forum altogether.

Thanks a lot to those that did value my dad's and now my advice based on research and especially thanks to those individuals and companies who have supported and continue to us by buying the high quality products that we offer and professional services that we provide.

Randy Gross
Old 01-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #49
Synchro909

Another valuable and respected member of the forum lost.
This is an appropriate time to remind everybody to keep it polite.
I think too many hide behind the anonymity of the web to vent and criticise others unnecessarily or to narcissistically feed their ego . The Model A community is not a very big one so anonymity is only imaginary.
I for one am very disappointed that Randy and the others have left . We are all poorer for that.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #50
tbirdtbird
BANNED

very much so
maybe the mods will catch on
Old 01-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #51
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Smart move Randy i wouldnt have commented either. I do hate to see you go as your input and knowledge on other threads was digested well and what i thought was very helpful. As with anything things change as does the personnel that participates on the forum. Try and hang around as the contentious members are usually dealt with appropriately by Ryan.

Happy New Year Randy

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-01-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:27 PM   #52
Ryan
Administrator

I'm on the road. Someone pm me with the details please. I'll take care of it.

So sick Of the shit talkers.
Closed Thread