Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
roadster31

Default seam sealer

3M makes a product called Brushable Seam Sealer, although it's thicker than toothpaste. I have used it on a couple of repairables over the years, it works well when replacing body pannels because it remains flexible but is very strong. I want to use it on the "new" roadster body to help make it more solid -- does anyone see drawbacks that I'm not thinking of? The only problem I can think of is it might seal the body too well and if I get cought in the rain with the top down, it could trap moisture. Thanks in advance, E LaBrash
roadster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: seam sealer

there is also another line of products that has several good seam sealers, Crest -http://www.crestauto.com/products/sealers.htm --I like their brushable sealer much more than the 3M, they also have several 2 part products that cure very fast.

You just have to be sure to have drain holes wherever water can collect, there are other products for rustproofing the hidden places like inside doors, quarter panels, it is a yellow wax like substance ,http://www.rust.co.uk/dinitrol-products.cfm --I know this is a UK site, I don't know where my friend got it in USA, it is for an example , and there are other brands.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
there is also another line of products that has several good seam sealers, Crest -http://www.crestauto.com/products/sealers.htm --I like their brushable sealer much more than the 3M, they also have several 2 part products that cure very fast.

You just have to be sure to have drain holes wherever water can collect, there are other products for rustproofing the hidden places like inside doors, quarter panels, it is a yellow wax like substance ,http://www.rust.co.uk/dinitrol-products.cfm --I know this is a UK site, I don't know where my friend got it in USA, it is for an example , and there are other brands.
My dad had his new 1963 Chevy station wagon undercoated with something like this stuff. I've never seen it since, nor do I know where my dad had the undercoating done. I always thought this was the best undercoating there was. It was like a translucient yellow color and felt like a soft wax even years after it was applied.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i use the crest products also at my shop. the seam sealer i use from them is called drip seal. its paintable and brushable. i am sure there are other products that work the same just no experience with them. i have an extra tube i can ship you if you want it. or i can give you my crest salesman's phone number and order it directly from him just a thought.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 05-21-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
skip
Banned

Tom says; "It was like a translucient yellow color and felt like a soft wax even years after it was applied."

"Displaces water from surfaces of electrical components. cosmoline"?

skip.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
roadster31

OK thanks guys, I'll do some looking into the other products also: Fordbarn is like this huge file of important facts/products, what a resource! Regards, Elmer LaBrash
roadster31 is offline   Reply With Quote