Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
mrraford

Default The Model A Members Album

I just got off the phone with what purported to be MARC. They had sent me a solicitation to update my information in their records prior to publication of a Members Album. The man on the phone courteously took my information updates. He obviously did not know anything about Model A body styles. He then proceeded to try to sell me a "collectors edition" of the forthcoming tome for about $50. When I lacked interest, he offered the publication on a CD, then a toned down paperback version of the book for $30 and then a copy of my page for about $25.
This sounds a bit like the old "Who's Who in American High School" where for a fee they would publish your name along with everyone else that paid the fee. Anyone else know anything about this project?
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: The Model A Members Album

I got "another" card in the mail last night asking me to call and verify my information. I have received several prior to this one, including a "Final Notice". None of which I have responded to.

I would think that rather than spend all that money on repeated notices, that they should just send me the book free.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
John Stone

Yep, just talked to the guy. Seemed official at first but when it came time to send money I opted out.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

AACA did the same thing recently regarding a members book... they tried contacting me about a dozen times... im good thanks... dont give your info out
a private firm was collecting the info . i wonder where else it was going.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 10-27-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #5
Brianfrench65

In my opinion, it's a publishing company trying to get money out of the orginazitations members, with a very small commission back to the club.

I will not participate. If it was the club or to financially benefit the club, I would have much more interest.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
TDO

Thanks for reporting this, I won't have to make the call.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
mshmodela

It's very hard today to keep one's privacy... Dozens of things are public information from the value of you property to what kind of things you do on line (google, Facebook, others track lots of information on all online users...)

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #8
WTSHNN

I got this email from MARC this morning...

The NEW MARC Coffee Table Directory!!!

It is with great pleasure and excitement that your MARC Board of Directors announces the offering of a beautiful full color “coffee table book” to share with your family and friends. This book will contain high quality photos of your Model “A” along with other information supplied only by you (your privacy is both respected and assured!). This special edition is being published exclusively for the Model “A” Restorers Club by Harris-Connect and will feature an introduction, list of regions, photos, member profiles and much more! This is a great opportunity to stay or get connected with other Model “A” owners around the globe in a “picturesque” way and to enjoy the beautifully arranged photographs and text.

As a MARC member, you will be contacted by telephone by a representative from Harris-Connect who will courteously request your profile information and a photo of your Model “A”. Remember: YOU will be in charge of how much or how little personal information is shared in this book. Please take a moment to consider the purchase of this beautifully bound volume as a way to show your pride in this great hobby.

Should you have any questions regarding the book, its purchase, or Harris-Connect, please feel free to contact the MARC office at: 734.427.9050 or [email protected].
Old 10-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
CarlG

As for "Coffee Table Books", my wife makes all of ours. On-line at Costco. We have one for the Model A, our son's wedding, her quilts, her mom, her sisters, and on and on. All of which have a much greater interest to us and our guests than a book filled with ~5,000 people I've never met. JMHO
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #10
sphanna

I was very disappointed in MARC for this. Has weakened my support and respect for MARC. I am not ready to dump my membership though.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #11
Gary Karr

This Harris Connect company has been offering this service for some time now to both MARC and AACA memberships. They are an independent company with some pretty healthy fees. A simple solution, if you are not interested, is to simply not respond to their solicitations.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #12
HoarseWhisperer

I am curious if this is actually sponsored by MARC and if the President knows that his name is being used?

IMPORTANT REQUEST
Model "A" Restorers Club

Dear xxxxxxxx,
(Your ID#: xxxxxxx

We are currently in the final stages of preparing Model "A" Restorers Club Member Album, a publication featuring listings along with photos and essays submitted by members. We need your help! A brief telephone call will ensure your listing is completely accurate and up-to-date.

Please, give us a call at your convenience this week so that we may verify your information with you.

CALL TODAY - TOLL FREE 1-866-770-3081
(Eastern Time)

Mon. - Fri. 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

International Residents: You may also call at:
USA Country Code (1) 757.965.8092
Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. UTC/GMT-5
Thank you in advance for your cooperation in making this publication a success. If you have already called, thank you for your quick response and your help. Please do not send updates in response to this message.

Terry Deters
Terry Deters
President
Model "A" Restorers Club

P.S. Harris Connect, a trusted partner of Model "A" Restorers Club, has been chosen to produce our publication. Harris Connect's commitment to protecting the privacy and ensuring the integrity of the information collected for the project is reflected in their privacy policy online at www.harrisconnect.com/privacy-policy

Your ID#: 008-162-221
If you do not wish to receive future e-mail from the Publication Office as it pertains to this project, please click here and you will be removed from our list.

Model "A" Restorers Club Member Album
at
Harris Connect
1400 Crossways Blvd., Suite 101
Chesapeake, VA 23320

MXG

The information contained in this message (including any links to other information) is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entities originally named as addressees. If this message reached you in error, please contact the sender at [email protected] or 800.877.6554 to report the delivery error and then destroy this message. Thank you.

©2015 Harris Connect, LLC

Last edited by HoarseWhisperer; 10-27-2015 at 11:55 AM.
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #13
Cape Codder

Sorry to read this post because as of yesterday I responded to the card I received in the mail. I was under the impression that I was talking to MARC and not Harris Connect CO. I'm sure disappointed in myself for dealing with them.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

If my GUT tells me something is SUSPICIOUS, I consider it a SCAM!!
Bill W.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #15
Goldhardt

I just got off the phone with them. As a new MARCS member, I really didn't know what it was. They were going to send me an email so I can send them a story and some pictures. Since I said no thanks on the book, I guess I won't hold my breath waiting for their email.
Goldhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #16
Al 29Tudor

I was surprised to find that this Harris Connect outfit had my name and email address but not my member number. I did give my permission to MARC to include my name in the club roster but that's all. Harris must have purchased a copy and now have everyone's info.
I wouldn't think much of MARC if they gave or sold our info to bring in a few bucks.
Al Leach
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #17
Brian SATX

I hope that MARC is nto providing them MY information. I have not given them permission to give it to a third party to publish.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #18
barnstuf

I got a second postal yesterday. I saw no mention of this book in the MARC News magazine. Last evening I sent an eMail to the club President Deters inquiring about it as the Club office was closed. He did not reply. I am a 61 year MARC member and think this project was done without informing members at large, and is not appropriate for privacy reasons. I will NOT participate.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:32 PM   #19
160B

I just called in and had a discussion and chose to op out.

If you do not call and opt out your basic information will be included in the book.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #20
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley;1179344

There is a note on the inside first page that states:

"This directory is for official Model A Restorers Club use, and also for individual communication of a personal nature between members listed herein. Use of this directory for any other purpose, including, but not limited to, reproducing and storing in a retrieval system by any means, electronic or mechanical, photocopying or using the addresses (electronic or otherwise) or other information contained in this directory for any private, commercial or political mailing is strictly prohibited "

[EMAIL="[email protected]"
Geez like THAT is going to frighten away the scammers. Kinda like the FBI Warning and the Interpol Warning at the beginning of your DVD's, warning you not to copy the movie or show it commercially or face a $250K fine and 10 years in jail

I gave them my SSN is that going to be a problem (Just kidding folks)

You get this same garbage from the 'National Eagle Scout' book somebody is publishing, or a listing of all the 'members past and present of the 4th Marine Division' and on and on. It all hits the garbage as soon as it arrives. And I do agree, if MARC sold out for a few bucks by letting these individuals do this they should be ashamed.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote