Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2020, 06:21 PM   #1
chrs1961815

Default Switching Engine, Reusing Flywheel

So I pulled my old engine out to replace it with a newly rebuilt one. I don't have another flywheel around so I plan on using the old one along with the old pressure plate. My question is, has my flywheel been lightened? It has several holes like this in it. It appears to maybe be because of balancing?

Also, I am wondering if I should get a rebuilt pressure plate or rebuild mine while the engine is out. The forks are off and need to be adjusted to the same height at the very least. They don't have any wear on them I can see?

Last but not least, take a look at the cork oil pan gasket I installed a year ago. Look how it has swelled, presumably because of the part rubber content. No wonder I have an oil leak from the front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200217_171540.jpg (44.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 20200217_172001.jpg (61.6 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 20200217_172017.jpg (57.2 KB, 129 views)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
Sunnybrook Farm

Default Re: Switching Engine, Reusing Flywheel

They balanced them at the factory with similar holes. I guess you could weigh it and see what it comes out to be. There is a photo somewhere showing the guy working the balance machine, probably in the Ford archives.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:06 PM   #3
Conaway2

Before reassembling everything, I suggest either rebuilding your pressure plate, or finding a rebuilt one, have the flywheel re-surfaced, and install a new quality clutch disk. Have the flywheel/pressure plate combo balanced. And, I would definitely replace the pan gasket, wile it is easy to do now.
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:40 PM   #4
sofield

I agree with conaway, but don't forget replacing the pilot bearing also.
sofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:01 PM   #5
CT Jack

Conaway is correct. Buy a new clutch & pressure plate, resurface the flywheel and have them balanced as a unit. Replace the pan gasket and the front upper and lower crank seal which is included in the gasket set. Oil leaking at the front end of the pan is usually caused by a leaky front seal.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:38 PM   #6
chrs1961815

I am replacing the engine with another, but I will be sure to properly install the gaskets and not use cork.

I was just in the bell housing and trans for a clutch disk replacement and repaint. Replaced throwout bearing but I do not think I replaced the pilot bearing. I have a spare ready to install that I properly rebuilt with good gears so I will probably just swap it while it is out.

Tomorrow I am going to pop the flywheel off and see what I have. I will buy a rebuilt pressure plate probably and I would then have to have everything balanced of course. How does a pressure plate even go bad besides the usual which I don't have (worn forks and springs)?
Old 02-18-2020, 11:33 PM   #7
Brian T

Has you stated you just replaced the clutch parts recently , the middle picture shows that, if this assembly with the flywheel was working fine with no chatter why replace it, make sure there is no grease on the surfaces, I sprinkle talcum powder on the disc.

Taking a another look at your picture, have the fingers become dislodged?, another picture maybe helpful.
Regards Brian

Last edited by Brian T; 02-18-2020 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Added text
Brian T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:06 AM   #8
J Franklin

Your photos show fairly new parts. I would inspect and reuse any good parts, many times so called rebuilt and new parts cause trouble. Have the flywheel and PP balanced.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:49 PM   #9
chrs1961815

So I pulled the flywheel off (left the housing on, which is a nice ribbed one) and discovered a few interesting things. First off, wverything internal is painted with some green paint, probably glyptol. Second off, I tried to adjust the clutch fingers on my relatively new pressure plate and ran into a problem. Using the clutch adjustment tool from Brattons, I could not get close to 13/16 without the nut being almost off of the stud. Found out I was using it wrong, and all is well. Very little wear on the fingers, so I will reuse it.

The ring gear looks fine after inspection, but they dis spray some of that paint on it. It is annoying me quite a bit.

Final question: I have a place to get the flywheel snd pressure plate balanced but I was wondering about the crank. Don't they need to have the crank and engine to balance everything? Does not seem right to me but it has been a while.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:56 PM   #10
J Franklin

If the engine was balanced when it was rebuilt a balanced flywheel and plate won't throw it out.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:10 PM   #11
chrs1961815

Good, less work but the flywheel still weighs a ton. Might have them plane it and the pressure plate because it looks almost like the pressure plate got burned on half of it. When I put it back on in September it was not like that and it did not come off with laquer thinner. I will have to see what the shop itself says.