Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2021, 10:55 PM   #1
elwood

Default Columbia Differentials

Hey guys, could someone explain to me exactly what is involved in " bullet proofing " a Columbia differential ?
Thanks
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:56 PM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: Columbia Differentials

The sun gear gets a steel band around its outer diameter. Some other components get some welding as that is a frequent breaking point also.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:42 AM   #3
Ken/Alabama

Not the sun gear but the hub that houses the planetary ring gear gets banded on the end where the spider cross resides. Then there’s some re-welding of the case that holds the smaller planetary gears. Also replace the springs and pads in the synchro clutch assembly.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:21 AM   #4
Bursonaw

Check out Columbia Two Speed Parts. They have a full write up on what’s involved and can supply what you need to do the job.

http://www.columbiatwospeedparts.com...r-columbia.cfm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bursonaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:29 AM   #5
Bored&Stroked

There are different levels of work - and associated parts. I have bought completely new sun gears and the housing where the spider gear cross shaft sits - manufactured out of 8620 steel. The parts were not cheap, but they do help the situation a lot. Also, I'm putting 28 spline axles in it instead of the stock axles. In the end it will be stronger, but still not something you can put abuse too - or it will not last.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:42 AM   #6
deuce_roadster

Also follow the original Columbia oil filling instructions EXACTLY. I do it on Jackstands so I can level the car and quickly get under the car after running it in the gear they suggest for the time period they suggest and add the additional oil before it drains out of the inner part of the unit back into the banjo. Always use the Columbia fill plug not the Ford one.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:27 AM   #7
blucar

From my experience, having driven my '36 over 94k with a Columbia that is behind a well built 59AB engine, I have had very little trouble with the Columbia. In my younger years I street raced the car on a regular basis, I was always very careful how and when I shifted the car and I avoided 'burn-outs' to demonstrate a point that action in lieu of burning rubber proved.
I do intend to have the Columbia under my car checked over in the near future just to be safe.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:53 AM   #8
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Not the sun gear but the hub that houses the planetary ring gear gets banded on the end where the spider cross resides. Then there’s some re-welding of the case that holds the smaller planetary gears. Also replace the springs and pads in the synchro clutch assembly.
Thanks Ken, my feeble brain just couldn't pull up the proper nomenclature.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:20 PM   #9
Ol' Ron

A good friend of mine, Paul Garagain (rumble seat) had a Columbia in his 34 roadster. In the summer of 06 we spent 4 weeks on our way to Bonneville by driving through some of the roughest terrain in the US. Have a nice pic of us at the top on independence pass ay 12,000 ft. Car, 276 flatty and Columbia worked great and I told him so. He said if he had it to do over again he may not use the Columbia. He'd had his rebuild several times and the cost was quite high, The only problem we had was with the speedometer unit. Because he was from the mountian side of the devide he used the 4.11 low gear. The engine had plenty of power. I miss him, rat guy
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:51 PM   #10
Gene F

Gosh I always thought the Columbias were reliable if not abused. You guys are scaring me. LOL
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:23 PM   #11
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Gosh I always thought the Columbias were reliable if not abused. You guys are scaring me. LOL
They are as long as you don’t abuse them. Don’t be trying to scratch off. !!🤣
Old 05-25-2021, 09:32 PM   #12
elwood

Lotta response, thanks alot guys, I could lay my hands on a 36 fresh built, and a 40 unit in a box, supposed to be all good parts, but Im not quite sure they would hold up for me, stupid lead foot.
So after all this work to upgrade them is done, what is its weak spot, what would brake if I abused it, and is there no way to make it hold up to a nasty flat head and a lead foot ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9124.jpg (29.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9125.jpg (34.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9126.jpg (34.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9127.jpg (38.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9122.jpg (68.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 05-25-2021, 09:41 PM   #13
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post
Lotta response, thanks alot guys, I could lay my hands on a 36 fresh built, and a 40 unit in a box, supposed to be all good parts, but Im not quite sure they would hold up for me, stupid lead foot.
So after all this work to upgrade them is done, what is its weak spot, what would brake if I abused it, and is there no way to make it hold up to a nasty flat head and a lead foot ?
This
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6303ABEB-EF59-473C-823C-686BB483E9F1.jpg (66.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 05-25-2021, 09:47 PM   #14
cas3

The weak spot is mentioned earlier, where they weld a band around where the spider cross has to slide in 4 slots to engage/disengage the planetary gears. The cross is of coarse normally held in place by the heavy ford forged housing where it sits tight and happy. so, those slots do the driving, instead of the ford diff housing, and games like spinning on gravel, then on to pavement, or burnout from side stepping the clutch can break parts. I love the one in my 34 jalopy, but I am too cheap to buy parts broken foolishly. I had John Connely do the bullet proof on mine, and after I saw what he did I really could have done it at home. No complaints, he really did a nice job, I just had not seen one in person before. If I remember, you have some machine skills too? maybe look at the pictures and do your own ?

Last edited by cas3; 05-25-2021 at 09:54 PM. Reason: to add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #15
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
This

I have some of those....
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:49 AM   #16
glennpm

You guys should like this northern Virginia V8 Club newsletter, "Valve Clatter", February 2015.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shifting Into Overdrive – January Garage Tour org.pdf (1.51 MB, 30 views)
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #17
elwood

Thanks for the help all, I think I may pass on these, I always wanted to run a Columbia I just know how I drive, dont think one of these would hold up for me ..
Old 05-26-2021, 11:52 AM   #18
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post
Thanks for the help all, I think I may pass on these, I always wanted to run a Columbia I just know how I drive, dont think one of these would hold up for me ..

My '36 came with a Columbia, the early version. In 1955 I converted the Columbia to a '47-48 unit using the later model Columbia on the '36 3.78 center section and drive line, used '37 radius bars which made for a bolt together installation. The '42-48 axles and housing are 1-3/4" wider than the '36-41, the added width does not present a problem, not worth the effort to narrow the assembly.
I used the electric over vacuum '46-48 controls in lieu of the earlier mechanical controls. the electric controls are very user friendly.
As I have stated earlier, I have had very little problem with the Columbia.
I have driven the car through out the eleven western states, mountains and desert, the car was my daily transportation for many years.