Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2019, 06:47 AM   #21
History

Default Re: Transmission Bearings?

I wish this guy was my neighbor. He's not your average bear.

Watch the series of him doing a rebuild on his transmission. There are four videos. I don't know if he's a member here or not but Made the best transmission video I've seen. https://youtu.be/RPzUwu3Jf5Y
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #22
ryanheacox

Those are great videos, I actually watched them last night before bed. By far the best transmission videos I've seen.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #23
ryanheacox

So, I picked up some transmission parts from a club member today. His cluster gear was much better than mine, almost perfect, so I'll be using that.

His main gear has no pitting on the teeth where mine does however his has more wear on the face of the teeth that engage 3rd gear. Wondering which factor is more important, his is also a little nicer where the pilot bearing sits and they are both the same where the roller bearing rides.

What I'm most concerned about right now is the rear ball bearing is pretty loose in the transmission case. Should I be looking for a case now or could I set it in place with green loctite?
Old 07-03-2019, 08:32 PM   #24
Joe K

IIRC, the rear bearing is "pinched" by the rear bearing retainer (front part of the universal housing.) You could check that and see how the movement is in a "dry fit."

Joe K
Old 07-03-2019, 08:58 PM   #25
ryanheacox

I did that without installing the main gear, just bolted on the bearing retainer and there was still quite a bit of play. Will have to dry fit it with the main gear as well to get a real picture. Which means I'll have to pick a main gear and press the bearing on.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #26
ryanheacox

You were right, Joe. With the main gear in and rear retainer tight there was no movement. Have everything back together now, nothing binds and everything sounds and feels good. Just need to do a final torquing and put it in the car. Does anyone have torque values for the rear bearing retainer and bell housing to transmission bolts? Currently I'm just working under the assumption of good and tight.

Also, just FYI, the u joint rebuild kit was out of stock at berts and when I called to see when it was coming back Steve said never unless a quality one hits the market. Said the current one is junk from China and lasts a few hundred miles.... a good used one from him should be here tomorrow.