Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #1
john charlton

Default Rear axle change on 1929 AA truck .

My recently bought AA truck has wire wheels but has been retro fitted with the later bevel gear rear axle . This is not a compatible mix as the wheel hub is unsupported when fitted to the axle . I knew I would have to make up something to resolve the problem . Also found the lugnuts backed off after a few miles ,not safe !!! I did post this problem a few months ago and some kind poster suggested using the adapter plate as on page 257 in the yellow "Service Bulletins " This plate is to reinforce the Budd wheel on the early bevel scalloped hub . I have never seen an axle like this on an English AA truck . I did dismiss this as it was way to wide to fit and had a curved flange . Later got to thinking I will never ever use the pair I found in my "stores" so I would modify them . I got my local machine shop to cut them down to 9" dia. so are a drop in fit into the wire wheel hub . The same tooling that makes the Budd wheel must have been used as the lugnut holes have a female chamfer edge which is not required for use as it would be sandwiched between the hub and wheel . Luckily this chamfer matches the lugnut "cones" in the wheel hub so a solid connection now . Thank you previous poster for planting the seed in my elderly noddle !!! Speaking of elderly just got USA Pfizer Deotech vaccine this morning at the local hospital free for nuddinks and free car park with a booster in 21 days time never felt a thing and no side effects (yet ! )

John in it was a nice sunny cold day in Suffolk County England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:56 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Rear axle change on 1929 AA truck .

Hey John, congrats on the vaccine.

Is there a reason why you would not want to convert your AA back to a worm gear rear axle?

3rd, did you receive my last email regarding the transmission forks? You did not respond, which is why I am asking.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
john charlton

Hi Brent I would convert back if a suitable cheap high speed worm drive were to be found .The worm axles here are generally beyond salvation torque tubes rotted through and seized solid but I do keep a look out . The fitted bevel axle I have is the 6.6 to one but 700x20 tyres on the back does improve the speed a little bit . Sadly I did not get your email regarding shifter forks hence my no reply maybe you have and old address . I will pm you . Had the jab 10 hours ago no side effects yet (dont talk it up!!!)

John in same place same weather .
Old 12-17-2020, 02:21 AM   #4
Richard in Anaheim CA

Talking Re: Rear axle change on 1929 AA truck .

:John,

I don't have any info on your AA rear end but just have to say it's good to see you post here on the barn. Us geezers just never know if each other is still able to do so. Will you be back in US again this winter? I assume that poke was the early Covix shot. I'll wait to see if you post again before I get mine.

Richard in clear and sunny Anaheim California USA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:40 AM   #5
john charlton

Hi Richard . I got the Pfizer vaccine 2 days ago ,painless with no side effects at all .A very mild sore upper arm like a flu jab .I get a booster one in 21 days the leaflet says side effects could be slightly more pronounced and a week after that you should be fully protected . So go for it nothing to fear !!! . Most likely back out to my snow bird home in sunny Chandler AZ in the fall of 2021 .I am halfway through a "back from the dead" restoration of a 30 CCPU so need to finish that .

John in sunny morning Suffolk County England .
Old 12-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #6
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...We can't wait to have John back in Chandler, Arizona...Hanging out at Arizona Model A! He has forgotten more than most of us know! Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote