Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: whats it worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelley's restoration View Post
I didn't realise that this was the place to bash peoples cars. you are nit picking a 20 year old restoration. the fact of the matter is
it was an older restoration and the guy used some repo parts ,but over all there wasn't even a patch panel or a pit on the frame. can you say the same for your car????
its going to North Carolina now
maybe the new owner will take your unsolicited advise on great bumper vendors
It's a bit early for cabin fever

I never bashed the car. In fact I think it's a great looking car and I wished my 29 Tudor looked that good. I don't know if you restored the car, own the car, or sold the car. I was just giving advice to help someone from wasting their hard earned money on bad parts. My friend also bought some cast aluminum bumper clamps and one had the stud pull out before he even mounted it.

As far as "unsolicited", we're all here to share our experiences to help with ideas, know how, and to help buy the best parts possible.

Merry Christmas
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #22
First-A-NJ

Default Re: whats it worth? (Pics Added)

Ok so i went back and took another look and snapped some pics. It was painted black at some point and some chrome parts were painted over. The engine is original with work done to it in the 70's. The water pump has also had work done. The interior is obviously in pretty bad shape. There is no key for the ignition. There is damage/missing pieces from the wood in the headliner. I was unable to inspect the wood in all areas because it was still in a cramped garage. All of the doors opened and closed with no problems and the windows rolled up easily as well. There is some visible damage to the body and who knows what was covered up by the black paint.

I have not committed to anything and will probably make several trips back before making a decision. I would like to take a test drive and have a model a pro look at it as well.

Do the pictures indicate anything specific to you guys?
First-A-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #23
pooch

Not really much point at this time.

Until you get an asking price and post it here.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #24
A-Jay

Red face Re: whats it worth? (Pics Added)

First-A, I think what you have is puppy love for this car. Its maybe the first Model A you have come across and you think you have found a Diamond in the rough. After I got into the A thing a little, I went and looked and car much like this one. It had not ran in twenty years and had been sitting in a unheated garage very close to where I live, that seemed great. I must say it was a little more solid than your find. When I saw it I wanted to buy it to get started, but like you I had never worked on anything that old. But I didn't think I would find another one. My wife was not into it and my friend (very seasoned old car guy) tried to stay neutral and let me make my own decision. Anyway I did not buy it and really started to explore which body style I preferred and which years 28-29 or 30-31 looked best. They all looked the same at first right ? I looked at a fordor 3 window, a 31 Pick up and two 30 coupes before I made me decision. I found a Club guy who was moving up to a restored Roadster. My car had been a regular driver, needed a little work but was running and was drivable on day one. My friend is always saying pick a project get the parts do it and get her back on the road. Then think about the next job but keep her running that's the best advise I ever got. If not then its in the garage with the coolers and lawn chairs stacked on top of the hood. I would say take a step back grab a beer or two and explore the Web. MAFCA, EBAY for idea's only, and of course local Model A clubs in your area, there around just ask the guys at the Barn and get a feel for all the great Model A's out there, which one and how much!. You can buy a running, driving car for a reasonable price. And spring is not that far off (I Hope). I think when I was 27 my life was pretty full of family and running around town and that a project of that size might have gotten started but not completed. Good luck. Your friend DR. Phil
Old 12-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #25
1930artdeco

Something I just thought and maybe you have as well. When you go back bring a magnet, that will tell you were the bondo/lead/rust is.

Mike
Old 12-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #26
sturgis 39

Take an expert to look at the car. Check the dip stick for water. Try to start the car. listen for knocks. Take a compression test. Rebuit engine with you removing and installing will be around $4000.00. Four doors are not most desirable to the general public (I LIKE ALL OF THEM). There are some good buys on e-bay at this time but do not buy one without looking first. You can buy a restored one cheaper than you can restore one. I would probably offer 2 or 3 thousand for this car and hope the guy said no. It is a buyers market now. There nothing more exiting than getting your first model "A".

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #27
cradlescyth

HI
You are 27yrs old-I am 72yrs old

I am looking for my first A and all I can say is

Go For It

You will get the 50yrs of experiance tha I never will

enjoy the daylights out of it

Ed
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #28
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by First-A-NJ View Post
Ok so i went back and took another look and snapped some pics. It was painted black at some point and some chrome parts were painted over. The engine is original with work done to it in the 70's. The water pump has also had work done. The interior is obviously in pretty bad shape. There is no key for the ignition. There is damage/missing pieces from the wood in the headliner. I was unable to inspect the wood in all areas because it was still in a cramped garage. All of the doors opened and closed with no problems and the windows rolled up easily as well. There is some visible damage to the body and who knows what was covered up by the black paint.

I have not committed to anything and will probably make several trips back before making a decision. I would like to take a test drive and have a model a pro look at it as well.

Do the pictures indicate anything specific to you guys?
Yes the pics do indicate A LOT, but your statements/observations mean A LOT also!
I don't know much, but I'd reread sturgis and Dr.Phil , etal closely and over/over for guidance.
I'll state some of the obvious and add some personal experience.
First: I notice that it "appears" to be a 1930 EARLY model A. I say this because it has the 'nose' pieces that are attached to the front fenders and are a separate piece from the splash apron...I think that these were originally on early '30 models. However, pic shows what looks like a later (31)dash with round speedo! The outside door handles also appear to be 31(?) I'm sure some will let me/us know if I'm wrong in these things.
Point being...what else?
Secondly, apparently patch panels needed front lower cowl. This is indicative of probability of other bottom cancer.
Third: Since following those here who have been there/done that, I've learned that Model As with lots of wood must command lots of inspection for wood rot...as the skills/money required to correct rotten wood are high!
Finally, as a unknowing neophite/with no advice..I found "THE ONE that was going to get away" if I didn't buy it now! After all the 'old lady' stated to my face that 'it last ran when driven into the garage where it now sat'. Of course she lied and I bought it. All panels needed patched. All floor panels needed replaced. The rear end was full of putrid water and with broken teeth both ring/pinion. The engine , a replacement at some time, had the top melted out of one piston. The pan had a full four inches of broken stuff and had a consistency of molasses/dirt. A lot of the expensive/hard to find parts had disappeared/not there...what did I know
Ok, so what would I do , knowing what I know now?? I'd take the advice given by a lot of these guys...buy an old restored runner. Some hairball that I once met decades ago..said knowledge equal power. He was a scroundrel...but I should have listened closer. You have the opportunity for a cheap lesson and lots of knowledge here! Good Luck!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #29
First-A-NJ

left coast - thanks. kind of what i was thinking once i took a closer look at it. Its not a MUST BUY NOW situation though. Its not listed for sale anywhere nor was i put under any kind of pressure.

just wanted to post some pics to see what everybody thought. no way will i purchase blindly.
First-A-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #30
Barry B./ Ma.

It looks like a pretty decent car and if you can get it at a reasonable price you can drive it the way it is, enjoy it and do it up piecemeal as you go along. I bought an early 31 Murray town sedan years ago that looked about the same and fixed it as I drove it and it really came out looking pretty good. You can get indivual pieces of upholstery from such as LeBaron Bonney (headliner, door panels etc). That's the fun of it and you get a lot of satisfaction when it's done. Good luck, Barry

P.S. I would price it in the $4000 to $7000 range from what I can see.

Last edited by Barry B./ Ma.; 12-20-2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added p.s.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #31
Kevin in NJ

The cars value today is in the $5000 +- range.

It is a car that needs a full restoration.

I think it safe to assume the full drive line may have issues. It may putt putt around, it is not likely to be very reliable. It is unlikely to have the brakes anywheres near the 50% point.

The car could be lots of fun with about $3000 to $6000 worth of chassis work. Depending on what is found when taken apart and how much you can actually do yourself. You would have to tend to basic body stuff. I drove around a 30 Murry fordor with a horrible body after fixed it to have brakes and working shocks. I was cruising all over south jersey running 55 MPH in what was a stock car. That was after I replaced the cracked wishbone and made the brakes work better. Still have not figured out how some of the rear brake got put in backwards.\
Anyway, a lot of people really enjoyed seeing the car in an unrestored state. It is also nice because you do not have to worry about the paint. You just go have fun.

A full restoration would cost you at least $15,000.

Economically, the car should be in the $2000 range. As the top end value is way less then the cost of the car and the cost of the restoration. That is not reality.

It is not uncommon to find minor cowl rust and little if any rust in the rest of the body. You really need to figure out just how good the wood is. My car had wood that could be reused. If you have major rot then you have replacement issues. If the doors seem tight and the body solid then you could just drive it as is.

You can do the money stuff yourself. Just get some free Brattons and Synders catalogs. The interior cost somewheres over $3000 for a good wearing set. There are some cheaper, but the reviews indicate they do not hold up well.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #32
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I know you guys know a lot more about these cars than I do but I useOld Cars Price Guide as my gauge. It shows that it should sell in the 1800-2700 price range and I would tend to agree. It looks to be not a lot better than a restorable parts car and it looks like it needs major restoration. Yes the right advice is have a person look at it with you that knows ModelA.s But remember that a Model A is not wiorth today what it was 5 years ago before this recession / depression started !
Good luck and remeber it is easy to get in over your head on these projects.
Wayne in Michigan
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #33
1931 flamingo

As others have stated, I would pass and look for a restored "driver". Even one of those can turn into a money pit. Good luck whichever way you decide to go, keep us in the loop.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #34
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

What do you want to do?

Is your first love working on cars? We have a member of our club that likes working on cars. He spends many hours and gets great enjoyment in rebuilding them and then sells them off for a new project. The cost to rebuilt is the cost for hours of enjoyment.

Do you want to drive an old car? We have members that have cars that are not in the greatest shape but drive and stop well. They keep them in good repair and drive them often.

Both?

You have to keep in mind that it is real rare that you get back what you put into a Model A and I'm talking just the cost of parts. If you are looking for a financial investment these are not the cars for you.

As for this particular car, If the wood is good, and it drives well $5000.00. If the wood is good and you can't get it to run or drive, offer $2000.00.

If the wood is bad, walk away, fast.

Brent, I lost my hard drive, could you post a picture of the fordor wood frame?