Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #21
pooch

Default Re: 28-29 Roadster Windshield Posts

These are 30 deluxe uppers on custom made lowers.

I made these to get as low as I could.

I had mint original 28 posts but did not have the heart to chop them just for the lower sections.

pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #22
Chris Haynes

Btt
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #23
fordcragar

There is a guy on the HAMB that is repopping chopped windshield posts, you might check with him.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...hlight=folding
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #24
Chris Haynes

I am looking for brass, not aluminum.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #25
Chris Haynes

I have the bottom mounts. I sure would love to find the rest.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #26
fordcragar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Chris, your bottom posts look like they are 30/31.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #27
frank55a

I bought a 28 roadster in northern Idaho in 63, that I bought from a farmer and as best as I can recall he had bought it new. The A had been sitting for years and years behind a barn. It had folding posts that were solid brass with nickle plating. If you can see the nuts that hold the post solid they are more of a wing nut rather that the round nut that appears on the repros. A few years ago I was sent a copy of an original Canadian ad for a roadster that did have the same posts. It was and still is my understanding the post were original to the car, but in may not have been a US made Model A. When I got the car it was less than 200 miles from Canada it could have been one of those Canadian As. I did not know enough about the As at the time to know exactly what I had but I did know that it was unique.

I would post a few pictures of the posts, if someone could tell me how to get it on this site.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #28
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Yep, they will not fit your 28.

And the uppers to suit these are stainless.

28 has the lower cone facing in.

Last edited by pooch; 06-06-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #29
MN Stumpjumper

In the March 2012 Rod and Custom,in a letter to the editor,John Ehrlich writes: His company is making a lower stantion to fit 28-29 that will accept 30-31 and 32 upper posts. Quad4 Rods
303-287-9093
MN Stumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #30
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Stumpjumper View Post
In the March 2012 Rod and Custom,in a letter to the editor,John Ehrlich writes: His company is making a lower stantion to fit 28-29 that will accept 30-31 and 32 upper posts. Quad4 Rods
303-287-9093
One would have to change the windshield also, correct?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #31
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordcragar View Post
Chris, your bottom posts look like they are 30/31.

They may be. I haven't tried to fit them.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #32
MN Stumpjumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
One would have to change the windshield also, correct?
That, I'm not sure about. Depends if you want stock height etc.
MN Stumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #33
pooch

As there are no 30-31 A/s around here, I can't check, but I suspect the upper dash rail(if they have one} is flattish under the screen to allow screen to pivot back thru opening as it folds forward.

When I made my 28 lowers, I went as low as possible with the lower cone, I did not find out that the screen will not fold forward, as the rubber and maybe a bit of frame gets bound on the inner riser part of the outer upper dash rail.

Did not realise this until after the screen was fitted.

I am not even sure if the chrome ones I showed in pic would not bind too.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #34
31 Roadster

There seems to be some confusion with regards to the special Canadian built Sport Roadster. The Sport Roadster was in fact first offered in Canada as a special “left hand” model, between August and December 1929. Documented evidence of this includes Ford of Canada 1929 Dealer Sales Manual, which list and offers a “left hand drive” Sport Roadster and includes photos. Ford of Canada did offer the Sport Roadster to Australia during this same period. For the record, neither Canadian nor Australian parts or body books mention the Sport Roadster. A copy of Ford of Canada’s “Overseas Circular Letter No. 617” confirms this special model and lists its standard equipment for export including, Folding Windshield with Nickel Plated brass Brackets, Dust Hood, Spare Wheel and Tire carried forward in right front fender well, Trunk Rack, Full Bar Bumper on rear, Rumple Seat. Special colours included Mount Vernon Green, Nankeen Brown and Henna Red. Mouldings and Rear Deck were finished in black, with double striping of Cameo Cream.

FYI, the special folding stanchions were produced by two known suppliers during the Model A era. They were cast brass with Nickel plating. We believe Ford of Canada purchased these folding stanchions from one of the two companies producing them at that time. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact the Canadian Model A Ford Foundation.

http://www.cmaff.com
31 Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #35
Mike/Nebraska

My folding posts on my 29 roadster fold back so you can tilt it back like a raked windshield when the top is down
Mike/Nebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #36
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Roadster View Post
There seems to be some confusion with regards to the special Canadian built Sport Roadster. The Sport Roadster was in fact first offered in Canada as a special “left hand” model, between August and December 1929. Documented evidence of this includes Ford of Canada 1929 Dealer Sales Manual, which list and offers a “left hand drive” Sport Roadster and includes photos. Ford of Canada did offer the Sport Roadster to Australia during this same period. For the record, neither Canadian nor Australian parts or body books mention the Sport Roadster. A copy of Ford of Canada’s “Overseas Circular Letter No. 617” confirms this special model and lists its standard equipment for export including, Folding Windshield with Nickel Plated brass Brackets, Dust Hood, Spare Wheel and Tire carried forward in right front fender well, Trunk Rack, Full Bar Bumper on rear, Rumple Seat. Special colours included Mount Vernon Green, Nankeen Brown and Henna Red. Mouldings and Rear Deck were finished in black, with double striping of Cameo Cream.

FYI, the special folding stanchions were produced by two known suppliers during the Model A era. They were cast brass with Nickel plating. We believe Ford of Canada purchased these folding stanchions from one of the two companies producing them at that time. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact the Canadian Model A Ford Foundation.

All my information on the AUSTRALIAN 'Sport Roadster & Phaeton'' leads me to believe they were not of Canadian origin, but produced within Australia as most of the open models were.They did not have all the extras that the Canadian model had. Canada did export complete Sport roadsters in 1929 to various markets [ India, Malaya, East Africa] but unfortunately none to this country, New Zealand. Australia was not just an assembly facility, but a manufacturing concern & tailored the cars to their market.
Other than a factory photo from Ontario, the first restored Canadian Sport Roadster[Henna Red] Ive heard of was just at Oshkosh.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #37
Bick in New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Roadster View Post

Further to this great information, export sheets from Ford Canada indicate that 106 Sports roadsters were exported during 1929, none to Australia or New Zealand. Most went to the African continent, with 45 going to South Africa, and 25 to East Africa.
Ford Australia offered both a sports roadster, and sports phaeton their stanchions were nickled but were non folding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aussie Sport Roadster.jpg (56.1 KB, 30 views)

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #38
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bick in New Zealand View Post
Further to this great information, export sheets from Ford Canada indicate that 106 Sports roadsters were exported during 1929, none to Australia or New Zealand. Most went to the African continent, with 45 going to South Africa, and 25 to East Africa.
Ford Australia offered both a sports roadster, and sports phaeton their stanchions were nickled but were non folding.

Thanks Justin (and Tom also), that fits what I was thinking based on what the two of you have said in the past and the general info on the areas that East Windsor supplied. The "dealer sales manual" mentioned is from East Windsor which of course it the origin of the model in question. It only shows photos of LHD models but makes no mention of availability.

I'm very interested in what those East Windsor export docs have to say across the board. In the meantime I'm also going to see if I can get any info on literature from the African continent which is likely a long shot but you never know!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #39
Bick in New Zealand

I was interested to see the 1929 assembly plant production figures on Bob Johnson's site, they do not show any sport roadster production, yet in the 1930, list the Deluxe Tudor for both Walkerville (71) and Dearborn (364) Interesting as I knew Canada produced them in 1930, but didn't think they arrived in the U.S. till 1931.

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is online now   Reply With Quote