Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
shooter54

Default Basic headlight, tail light/brake light question (wiring)

This is probably going to seem like a dumb question to some of you guys, but I'm no wiring expert, and I want to make sure I don't burn this car down...

My newly purchased 31 coupe doesn't have any of the lights hooked up. There is no wiring going to the headlights or brake lights. The guy said he "never drove it at night"

I want to run the most basic wiring setup I possibly can. Basically, I just need the headlights to work, tail light to work, and brake light to light up when I hit the brakes. I want to install a small discretely placed toggle to turn the headlights/tail light on (steering wheel headlight switch isn't in the car)

Can you guys give me an idea of what kind of components I'll need, and a basic idea of how to wire it properly? The car is still 6v, and runs/charges normally.

I have somewhat of an idea of how to do it, but I want to make sure I'm not forgetting or missing anything.

Crudely drawn pictures are always a plus..
Old 03-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
MikeK

Default Re: Basic headlight, tail light/brake light question (wiring)

Forget the toggle switch patch. Fix it correctly! A complete new wiring harness from a vendor is about $45. Way easier than jury-rigging your own. Add a bit more if you are missing the switch shell and spider mechanism at the bottom of the steering column. Big spender? Get one with turn signals already wired in. Try Snyders, Brattons, Mac's, Mikes, your local A parts guy..
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
Ed Saniewski

Mike is right, get the complete wire harness, all the colors are correct and cut to length. Plug and play, and all the wiring diagrams you will come across will match your car. I live in a very congested area of NJ so when I restored my cars, I used the harness with directionals built in and LED tail lights.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
sturgis 39

There is nothing easier than wiring a model "a" with a new store bought harness. The wire colors match all of the original color codes. I still have 85% to 90% mobility in my left arm so I do not use the turn signal wiring and I only have one tail light.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Have to agree just install what is supposed to be there.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
kenparker

The above posts are absolutely correct. Use the off the shelf wiring harness from one of the major suppliers. Even if you have to buy the light switch / horn rod for the steering wheel. You will be much happier inb the long run. I wired my speedster the hard way last year and just finished wiring a friends Model A/hotrod with homeade made up wiring. Trust me it aint easy.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
Kurt in NJ

When I was asked to run new wires instead of fixing the wiring properly I would take out my Lionel train set poles, tape them to the windshield, run them over the roof and start stringing wire ---when the boss asked what I was doing --you told me to run new wires --then I would get to fix the wiring properly.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
CarlG

I installed a new wiring harness a couple of times -- without having the wiring diagrams shown above. That was back when I was 15 years old -- a really long time ago! That was back when JC Whitney had tons of Model A parts.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote