Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
claybob

Default 30/31 subrail dimensions

So I've got my new subrails, cross sills, body blocks, etc. and am mocking up. The new rails come undrilled. I have SOME of the old subrail so the front section is pretty obvious. The rear on the other hand, not so much. So, a couple of questions:

Where can I find a detailed subrail schematic (including holes)?

Each block appears the be bolted through the frame and passes through the cross sills with the possible exception of the rear two. The most rear must bolt through the subrail itself - Right?

The one directly north (or south depending on your orientation) looks like it could either bolt through the subrail or be captured under the subrail and bolted through the cross sill, or maybe both? Does anyone know which is correct?

Thanks in advance
claybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Terry, NJ

Default Re: 30/31 subrail dimensions

Bob, I ordered one from Bratton's. It'll take at least two months to make and ship. Is this what I've got to look forward to? The sub frame on my Town Sedan is so bad, I can't reliably position anything off it. The wood is disintergrating to powder. I can "jig" the holes off some parts, but all? The new wood is coming from North Carolina, is that the same manufacturer?
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
youngster

I replaced the wood in a '31 Chevy truck cab recently. To get some idea of where the sub frame went, I transfered the body mounts to a sheet of 3/4" plywood. This seemed to work out pretty good but I learned quickly NOT to finialize anything till all parts where paced.

Ron
youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
claybob

Terry,
Yes, i think this IS what you get to look forward to. Like youngster, I have chosen the plywood method. Agreed, not welding 'till it all fits. I've got posts on multiple forums regarding sub rail dimensions but to date, no real help. I did not get my rails from NC, but rather MACs. I've also done business with Snyders. Both are great, FWIW. Good luck to us all!
Old 03-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
claybob

OK, so obviously no detailed subrail dimensions. How about someone with a 30-31 coupe take a couple of measurements for me, please?

Subrail width (outside to outside) just directly behind the A pillar...
Subrail width directly in front of the B pillar...

Thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
bobmc

Try this site.

Its a detaile drawing of the frame for a 1928-31 ford model a Passenger car and pick-up. All mounting holes a given with the measurements.

hope this helps

www.wescottauto.com/webcatalog/framediagram1929-31
bobmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
bobmc

sorry

fat fingers

www.wescottsauto.com/webcatalog/framediagram1928-31.pdf

I have to keep jumping back and forth to get the web address hope it works this time.
bobmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
claybob

bobmc,
Thanks for the attempt. I've got these (and many more) frame dimension blueprints but was looking for the same on the body subrails - Seems to be quite the elusive data. I appreciate the help eother way,
Claybob

Last edited by claybob; 03-13-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 03-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
Terry, NJ

Thanks Bob, A Huge help!!!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmc View Post
sorry

fat fingers

www.wescottsauto.com/webcatalog/framediagram1928-31.pdf

I have to keep jumping back and forth to get the web address hope it works this time.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
Terry, NJ

While Bob's dwg is a immense help, I realise what I'm missing. Looks like we're in the same boat. The body has just too much flex to reliably take dimensions off of it. We need prints.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybob View Post
bobmc,
Thanks for the attempt. I've got these (and many more) frame dimension blueprints but was looking for the same on the body subrails - Seems to be quite the elusive data. I appreciate the help eother way,
Claybob
Old 03-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
Mitch

claybob,

I don't know what A and B pillars are, but the first 3 pictures show the cross subrail at the rear of the door pillar. The top outside is 42-1/4" and the body bolt hole is 5" from the top outside.

The 3rd and 4th pictures show the cross subrail at rear of seat and front of rumble/trunk floor pan is 42-13/16" top outside and the holes are 5-1/4" from top outside.

FYI, the inside was media blasted, metal prep sprayed on, rinsed with water, and blown dry with air hose. This was a year ago. The surface rust/tint has not changed in a year.

This is a 1930 coupe. If you need other dimensions, show me a picture or something of what you want.

Mitch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2637.jpg (61.7 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2638.jpg (66.7 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2639.jpg (63.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2641.jpg (56.8 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2642.jpg (67.2 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2643.jpg (68.1 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by Mitch; 03-13-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #12
Terry, NJ

BobMC, I have a 30 Town sedan. Is there a chance the dimensions are different for a TS than a Coupe? Almost none of the dimensions given agree with the actual dimensions. The space between the rear crossmember is given as 22 1/2". It's 28' on mine. The distance between holes on my hood latch mount is 1 5/8" and to verify this dimension, I checked the hood latches themselves, 1 5/8 ", And many other dimensions aren't the same too. I'm sorry, but this just doesn't work. It looked so good in the beginning too. Thanks for trying!
Terry
Old 03-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #13
Richard Lorenz

I agree with Terr, NJ that some of the frame dimensions given above are wrong. The only one that I measured was the rear body bolt location. I checked 2 frames and got 41 inches, not the 40 1/2 suggested by the posted diagram.
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote