Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
Dick Deegan

Default Vacuum Wipers - Frustration

A couple of weeks ago I placed a thread asking for some advice on getting vacuum wipers to work. I received a number of responses and thank those that did respond.

Merc Cruzer indicated that he used a porduct called Dow Corning 111 - a silicone based lubricant for valves etc. I rumaged through my estensive assortment of lubes, glues etc and found a product called "Jacks" which is a silicone based lubricant used by pool companies to lubricate "O" rings.

I lubed the inside of the chamber with this stuff and the paddle as well and low and behold the wiper actually works and works well. The first time in four years!!

Thought that I would share this for others who have frustration in getting their vacuum wipers to work. From my experience with others, that would include a fairly large share of Model A owners - at least the ones I know.

Dick
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Vacuum Wipers - Frustration

Dick:

Isn't strange that we spend the time to get them to work and then won't take them out in the rain....unless we get caught coming back from a show or curse. My rule as always been, that if is is on the car it has to work!!!!! Now if you could only get winter blades.....
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
RonC

As part of your maintenance use 3 and 1 oil. The original Trico oil is similar to 3 and 1 oil. Hook a rubber tube up to the wiper and maually work the wiper blade. This will cause the wiper to "suck" though the rubber tube. Put the end in some 3 and 1 oil and suck some into your wiper motor. Inside your motor is a leather rectangular "paddle" that swipes in a semi arc inside the half circle case. The oil helps to keep this paddle pliable which provides a better seal between the paddle and the case.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
AKsportcoupe

I rebuilt my wiper years ago, but it never really worked. It always got hung up and slowed down. I don't think that I ever added enough lube/grease to the paddle. Today I took it apart again and cleaned it out and then lubed the entire wiper interior portion and paddle with vaseline.

Finally, for the first time in about 20 years, my wiper now is swinging free and works great! It is actually pretty fast, although the actual area that it wipes is pretty small. I can't wait to give it a try in some sprinkles.
AKsportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
Mike Mc

Great timing. I went through my old Trico a few weeks ago, cleaning it up & re greasing it to no avail.Now I'm feeling motivated about going into it again.

Laughed about the comment about getting the wipers working & not taking the car out in the rain. I'm as guilty as the next man of that
Mike Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Great tip! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Slantwindshield

BEST SOUTION for vacume wiper, go to O'Riley's and purchase a bottle of Rain-X. Howard
Slantwindshield is offline   Reply With Quote