Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2021, 06:31 PM   #1
52Allard

Default Rebuilding an Ardun OHV 1954 - 1956

I own a 1952 Allard which was the only car to be produced from the factory with an Ardun conversion Ford flathead. In the early '50s Zora Arkus-Duntov (later considered the father of the Corvette) worked for Sidney Allard at the Allard moror car company as a driver and engineer when Allard realized he needed more horsepower to keep his vehicles competitive. So for a short period of time in the early '50s between the time the Allards equipped with Ford 85 to 100 hp flatheads lost their appeal and before bigger American overhead-valve V8s (Cadillac 331), Allard used the Ardun Ford conversion for some of their vehicles. Although the Ardun engine in my car is long gone, I do have some of the correspondence between the original owner of my car (James Sisler) and all sorts of big-name hot rod guys on the west coast in the quest to rebuild his Ardun after it had troubles early in his ownership. This first post is the letter from James Sisler to Zora Duntov after Duntov started working at Chevrolet. Duntov was kind enough to answer Sisler.

(I retyped the original letters for easy reading because they didn't scan well and were hard to read since one letter was a bunch of questions and the other was a bunch of answers)

I have more letters - let me know if they are interesting and I will post more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg [email protected] (109.0 KB, 487 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sisler-Duntov Doc.pdf (173.8 KB, 241 views)

Last edited by 52Allard; 03-25-2021 at 05:29 PM.
52Allard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:23 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Rebuilding an Ardun OHV 1954 - 1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Allard View Post
(I retyped the original letters for easy reading because they didn't scan well and were hard to read since one letter was a bunch of questions and the other was a bunch of answers)

I have more letters - let me know if they are interesting and I will post more.
That is some amazing stuff, and straight from the desk of Zora, no less! I had the opportunity to meet Zora and his wife Elfie on two occasions, well onto 30 years ago, now. I'm up for seeing more of Zora's writings, if possible. And the time you must have spent re-typing is MUCHO appreciated! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:33 PM   #3
19Fordy

Amazing. Please keep sharing your written history.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:22 PM   #4
Ronnieroadster

I always enjoy reading information about the Ardun conversion from the very early years of their existence. Some of Zoras suggestions were part of the reason most Arduns performed poorly in their day.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:59 PM   #5
52Allard

Thanks for the replys - unfortunately I don't have any more letters from Zora Duntov as he was working at GM - Chevrolet at the time he answered the request for Ardun info. I imagine his head was awash with his new job and trying to distance himself from what he probably considered a failure at the time. Anyway - a good testament to his character that he did respond even though he really didn't need to do that.

Here's an exploded view of the Ardun that isn't commonly seen. I'll send more stuff when I get it scanned in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ardun Exploded 3114 med 2.jpg (53.1 KB, 1109 views)
Old 03-25-2021, 06:34 PM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Why not build an original Ardun and put one back in it? Cost issues aside, it would surely help the originality and value of your car. Heck, I might even know of a couple of us who have original heads.
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:37 PM   #7
VeryTangled

Nice!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:19 PM   #8
52Allard

It’s totally my dream to put the car back to original. That’s why I bought the car. I know Don Ferguson has some spectacular repos which makes a great plan B but if possible I’d like to try and keep it original when done.
Heck I’m a tinkerer so I’m not all that worried about perfectly reliable. So if you have any leads on parts - please let me know.
So the car also had a Canadian Mercury 99A block if anyone has an idea where one of those is sitting around. It looks like 10k or more were made. Must be at least one around.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:11 PM   #9
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
I always enjoy reading information about the Ardun conversion from the very early years of their existence. Some of Zoras suggestions were part of the reason most Arduns performed poorly in their day.
Ronnieroadster

Interesting comment! Would you care to elaborate? Please??
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:06 AM   #10
Bored&Stroked

Do you have any pictures of the Ardun that would have been in it? I'm wondering if it had the early or later production heads (they are different). I would imagine that it came with the later heads and center water outlets (not on the front). Also, what intake manifold and carb setup did it have?

Don's repop heads are excellent - better than the originals (especially the rocker arm system). But - they are not originals. A Mercury 99A block is not easy to find - and I'm not sure if that block was actually produced in Canada or the USA. I have a 99A type block in my 32 Cabriolet. Back in the day, this block was considered one of the best to build for performance usage - though I personally don't see it as any better than a good 59x 239 block.

Given the cost of finding original parts and then building an Ardun - is that on your table, or is it in the "someday dream" category? Your car should have a real Ardun in it.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:11 AM   #11
Bored&Stroked

Here is a part of the original brochure - showing the early front-mounted water outlets:

Brochure-Cropped.jpg

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 03-26-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #12
glennpm

A few magazine articles that I collected over the years on the Ardun.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf awp1.PDF (1.65 MB, 84 views)
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #13
glennpm

Number 2
Attached Files
File Type: pdf awp2 .pdf (1.35 MB, 42 views)
Old 03-26-2021, 12:07 PM   #14
glennpm

Number 3
Attached Files
File Type: pdf awp3 .pdf (1.75 MB, 49 views)
Old 03-26-2021, 02:39 PM   #15
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Interesting comment! Would you care to elaborate? Please??

Sure let me elaborate.
Simply put the Ardun conversion was a short lived project at the Ardun Engine Co. the original designer of the Ardun head for Zora was Mr. George Kudash I as well as couple of others spent many hours learning from George the complete and true story on what took place during the brief development period. Two areas of concern which are extremely important was the oiling and ignition. Those of us who have spent years working on the Ardun have by way of back yard engineering solved these vital areas of the conversion. As one of the very few who have actually put many thousands of miles on an Ardun head converted flathead block driving twice across America and back I think my experience with all of the above speaks for itself. Actually in the good weather my supercharged Ardun is driven daily its not the best on economy but heck I don't care about no stinking economy.
If the original poster is interested I do have an original set of heads available.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 03-26-2021 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #16
40 Deluxe

Thanks for the info! Another question: I read a magazine article years ago that stated the ARDUN head was originally designed for New York city garbage trucks that were under powered and overheating. Is that correct? I assume that no heads actually ended up on these trucks.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:44 PM   #17
52Allard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Do you have any pictures of the Ardun that would have been in it? I'm wondering if it had the early or later production heads (they are different). I would imagine that it came with the later heads and center water outlets (not on the front). Also, what intake manifold and carb setup did it have?

Don's repop heads are excellent - better than the originals (especially the rocker arm system). But - they are not originals. A Mercury 99A block is not easy to find - and I'm not sure if that block was actually produced in Canada or the USA. I have a 99A type block in my 32 Cabriolet. Back in the day, this block was considered one of the best to build for performance usage - though I personally don't see it as any better than a good 59x 239 block.

Given the cost of finding original parts and then building an Ardun - is that on your table, or is it in the "someday dream" category? Your car should have a real Ardun in it.
Please see a few photos of original Ardun Allards attached. It looks like both new and old style heads could be in the Allards but my car had the newer style heads with the water outlets in the center of the heads. (original owner mentioned that in one of his letters). The best photo of a clean unmolested correct engine is the one on the engine stand out of the car. This was from an auction in England. Looks very original without modifications.

As far as intake manifolds go, you can see the two individual intake manifolds which were nice on paper (one intake manifold design for each head - didn't need a left or right) and it used 2 Solex carburetors. The original owner of my car realized that the original intakes weren't very good for performance so upgraded to a Hilborn fuel injection. I'll scan that note in too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg allard-j2x-ardun-ford-v8-1953-6.jpg (78.4 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Allard_J2-1515_10.jpg (72.7 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 49-Allard-J2-Prototype-DV_10-AACA_e07-800.jpg (146.1 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Allard_J2-1515_20.jpg (69.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Ardun.jpg (91.8 KB, 149 views)
Old 03-26-2021, 06:58 PM   #18
52Allard

Quote:
A Mercury 99A block is not easy to find - and I'm not sure if that block was actually produced in Canada or the USA. I have a 99A type block in my 32 Cabriolet. Back in the day, this block was considered one of the best to build for performance usage - though I personally don't see it as any better than a good 59x 239 block.

As far as the engine block goes - I think the block did come out of Canada and the big reason is that import duty to England was very high after WWII but not so bad from the British Commonwealth. I know that Allard used lots of reconditioned WWII surplus so that could also be possible and it was just a leftover but the 99A was supposed to be a '48 block so not new in the '50s but not a leftover from the war. It may not be possible to find the right block but that's what i'd like to try. I know where there is an old Z block which wouldn't be the worst substitute since Allard did use old war surplus engines.

And, yes I'm definitely going to go for the Ardun engine in the car. It has a 390 Cadillac now which runs and is pretty cool but not as cool as the Ardun.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:02 PM   #19
52Allard

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpm View Post
Number 3
Thanks for sharing that article. I had the first two but haven't been able to find this one yet. This is the one with all the really good stuff in it!
Old 03-26-2021, 08:22 PM   #20
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Thanks for the info! Another question: I read a magazine article years ago that stated the ARDUN head was originally designed for New York city garbage trucks that were under powered and overheating. Is that correct? I assume that no heads actually ended up on these trucks.

There was never any truth to that story about the garbage trucks. The only press release published about the ARDUN engine company did state a new truck engine conversion using revolutionary aircraft techniques this was printed in the New York Times in I believe in 1950 or 1951.
The conversion was marketed to help gain horse power and torque for a truck conversion. It may be possible a few sets of head's were used in some type of commercial application but I and others have never seen any picture's from that era showing an ARDUN in a truck. Shortly after that New York Times article the company went out of business. The remaining heads were then sold to two company's. C&T in California and the the Granetelli brothers speed shop also know as Grancor. From that point on the heads were now being purchased by racers and Hot Rodders ending up at Bonneville and Lakes speed trials races and latter on drag strips and at Indy plus other forms of roundy round races.

Ronnieroadster

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 03-26-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:36 AM   #21
52Allard

Quote:
Found a couple of better photos of how the intake and carbs should have been on the Allard as it was originally built. Hard to find photos like this because, for most performance oriented people, carbs and manifolds were the first to go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ardun engine4.jpg (57.4 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Ardun-1947-2.jpg (59.7 KB, 91 views)
Old 03-27-2021, 06:47 AM   #22
52Allard

Here's a good summary from the original owner of my car why he needed to rebuild the Ardun. From the early letter, Mr. Sisler sounded confident that he was far along in the rebuild and just needed a little help. Turns out he was only starting on his journey.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 7-19-54 sisler - hjDavis001.pdf (1.67 MB, 83 views)
Old 03-27-2021, 12:04 PM   #23
frnkeore

WOW, that's quite a letter. Was there a response?

I think he should have considered the re-paint, in lemon yellow
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:46 PM   #24
Ronnieroadster

Well as I wrote above ignition and oiling was a big problem due to the lack of complete development when first designed. That parts wish list even in 1954 would have been very difficult to fill. Today it would be no problem to get the parts requested as it pertains to the engine side of the issues he was having.
Ronnieroadster
Old 03-27-2021, 04:52 PM   #25
Bored&Stroked

Interesting that in at least a couple of the pictures you show, they are of later 49-53 flathead blocks - not the earlier ones. Did Allard put any of those engines in these cars?

A '99A' block is pre-war (first came out in the 39 Mercury) . . . the designation was used for the original 239 cubic inch blocks. I'm not aware of any 99A blocks being produced after 1942.

In the letter where Zora talks about the 99A block, this was probably just following the numerous wives-tales that the 99A block was the best and thickest of the flathead blocks -- I've not found that to be true . . . but it was passed on through the gossip channels for many years. I've sonic tested a lot of blocks and the various claims that "this XXX block was the thickest" . . . or "this was a high nickel casting" claims are just that - stories to pass on.

I have a NOS 99A type block in my 32 Cabriolet - and the only reason is that I wanted to rebuild the car as the pre-war HotRod that is was - so I needed a large displacement pre-war block . . . hence the Mercury or WWII production blocks.

Are you racing it on any of the vintage meets? Is that a goal of yours? If so, I'm sure it would run a lot better with a Hilborn fuel injection setup - but they are really hard to find and very expensive. This is what I'd run with the car - as long as the goal wasn't to make it a street driver.

My suggestion is that if you really desire to put an Ardun back in this car, that you talk to RonnieRoadster or myself at some point - and get an idea as to what the build specs could be, the approximate budgetary costs, etc.. I would definitely try to put an original Ardun in it - as that will be the best as far as value and authenticity is concerned. As many find out, they can "invest" a lot in an Ardun - but few are sorry that they did. (As long as the cost doesn't cause a divorce!). LOL
Old 03-27-2021, 06:53 PM   #26
motordr

I enjoyed reading the letters! Wishing you success with your project!
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:51 PM   #27
52Allard

Quote:
Interesting that in at least a couple of the pictures you show, they are of later 49-53 flathead blocks - not the earlier ones. Did Allard put any of those engines in these cars?

A '99A' block is pre-war (first came out in the 39 Mercury) . . . the designation was used for the original 239 cubic inch blocks. I'm not aware of any 99A blocks being produced after 1942.
I'm not sure of all the different Ford configurations wound up in the Allards originally. Still new to the group and most of the guys I have talked to so far either had Cadillac engines from new or Cadillac transplants at some point although. Many of the cars were shipped to the US without an engine and the person who bought the car had their favorite engine installed. Cadillac was popular and a few had Chrysler Hemi's or Oldsmobile engines. In reading the Allard book from Tom Lush who worked there back in the day, it sounded like whatever was available went into the cars shipped with engines. Also, the cars have been reworked lots and people race the J2's and J2X's without too much regard for originality as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the info on the Ford 99A block. I haven't found a lot of info on that one so still learning. James Sisler called it a Canadian engine in lots of his letters so maybe it was a C99A? Not sure if that matters.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:02 PM   #28
52Allard

Quote:

Are you racing it on any of the vintage meets? Is that a goal of yours? If so, I'm sure it would run a lot better with a Hilborn fuel injection setup - but they are really hard to find and very expensive. This is what I'd run with the car - as long as the goal wasn't to make it a street driver.
I'm a mechanic at heart and not a race car driver so my goal is to try a non-competitive rally or tour, take it to meets, take the kids and wife out for drives on nice days. If I had a chance to take a lap or two around Watkins Glenn, sure wouldn't turn that down (won't get there any other way than driving an oldie). I'd hate for the thing to be locked away in a garage gathering dust. I'll probably wind up with a carburetor setup. Either dual or triple 94's or 97's look really great.

Last edited by 52Allard; 03-29-2021 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:25 PM   #29
tubman

This may be of peripheral interest to the O/P. It has a 21 stud Pilot engine.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ghlight=allard.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:27 PM   #30
52Allard

Allard Motors weren't too much help to Sisler from his previous letter as Allard was having trouble selling cars in '54 and lost Duntov who went to Chevy so they had other problems to worry about (although Allard did manage to come through with lots of other stock parts later but not upgraded parts as Sisler was hoping for).
I'll save you all the many letter drama of the Ardun engine rebuild when the original owner sent the heads to a shop where the shop ordered new valve guides from C-T Automotive. The repair shop never actually measured the dimension required for the new valve guides and C-T custom-made a new set of cast iron vale guides that were loose like the set that needed to be replaced.
These letters are to and from Clem TeBow when James Sisler still has a pile of parts and trying to figure out how to get his engine back together
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 10854 sisler - tebow003.pdf (1.14 MB, 41 views)
File Type: pdf 101254 tebow-sisler004.pdf (749.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 03-28-2021, 09:33 PM   #31
tubman

I am kind of surprised that they put an Ardun in an "L"; I thought they all went into J2's.

Live and learn.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:04 AM   #32
Bored&Stroked

I can tell from the letters that Sisler knew enough to be dangerous and Clem pretty much told him to "let us do it" and we'll do it right. Some of the dialog about chrome lifters and steel cams - pretty much tells you there can be some issues with the setup if that is what Sisler believes he needs to run. Also, given all the requirements that Sisler has (which I can understand), he really needed somebody like CT to build him a complete engine, dyno test it and deliver the entire package - but that would have been some serious money (then or now!).

My guess is that Sisler never sent the heads to Clem and maybe didn't know enough to get all of it done with his own methods . . . and the engine probably never came back together (or continued to have issues). Clem was correct in not trying to just "send parts" (for the heads) - as the result is usually not good (especially with an Ardun and all the little tricks it takes to get them correctly running).

Did you ever find out where the engine actually went? Do you know the serial numbers for the heads?
Old 03-29-2021, 07:56 AM   #33
motordr

Yes, an excellent response from Clem. If only folks would listen to their engine builder.
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:06 PM   #34
52Allard

Quote:
I can tell from the letters that Sisler knew enough to be dangerous and Clem pretty much told him to "let us do it" and we'll do it right. Some of the dialog about chrome lifters and steel cams - pretty much tells you there can be some issues with the setup if that is what Sisler believes he needs to run. Also, given all the requirements that Sisler has (which I can understand), he really needed somebody like CT to build him a complete engine, dyno test it and deliver the entire package - but that would have been some serious money (then or now!).

My guess is that Sisler never sent the heads to Clem and maybe didn't know enough to get all of it done with his own methods . . . and the engine probably never came back together (or continued to have issues). Clem was correct in not trying to just "send parts" (for the heads) - as the result is usually not good (especially with an Ardun and all the little tricks it takes to get them correctly running).

Did you ever find out where the engine actually went? Do you know the serial numbers for the heads?
I think you are exactly correct about Sisler. He knew a little bit, was trying to gain as much advice from everyone who he talked to (and as you know everyone has a different opinion), and he was trying to do it all on a budget.

Find the letter exchange that happened next with C&T(next post). I don't know if Sisler actually sent the heads and engine but I suspect he didn't. He did mention having a fire in early '55 and needing new carburetors, linkage and fuel supply next spring so either got it running and had an issue or wanted to upgrade to the fuel injection system and claim the old induction system on insurance. Somewhere between '54 and '56 he did get the engine bored to .020" over but didn't go for the 4" Mercury crank.

The Ardun engine number on my car was supposed to be 2036-Z. Not sure if that was stamped on the heads or engine or just a record keeping number.

Last edited by 52Allard; 03-29-2021 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:11 PM   #35
52Allard

Next correspondence between Sisler and TeBow
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 102654 Sisler-TeBow 008.pdf (807.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: pdf 11354 TeBow - Sisler010.pdf (237.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-30-2021, 01:21 AM   #36
frnkeore

I did a quick inflation check. The $400 would be $3910 today.

Not bad, at all for the work requested.

I love reading this communication for that period!
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 03-30-2021, 05:24 AM   #37
Bored&Stroked

For $400 . . . he should have taken him up on that deal! If so, maybe you'd still have an Ardun in the car.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #38
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
I did a quick inflation check. The $400 would be $3910 today.

Not bad, at all for the work requested.

I love reading this communication for that period!

Since today the actual work required would now fall under the title of specialty work. Taking that into consideration you should add an additional multiplier of 3 to the adjusted for inflation price. The now adjusted figure of $11,730 is more in line with the reality of today.
Ronnieroadster
Old 03-30-2021, 05:28 PM   #39
52Allard

The next letters are to and from the Crankshaft Company. I don't think Sisler used them or at least didn't stroke his engine as he later mentioned having a 3-3/4" stroke.
Thought it was interesting enough to waste a few electrons on. You can see what was available and how much it cost nearly 70 years ago.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 101254 Sisler-Crankshaft Co012.pdf (874.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-31-2021, 05:50 PM   #40
52Allard

So the next big challenge is to find a good cam (66 years ago today). Scans have some other good info about valves, springs for the Ardun and other services from Iskenderian.
I know other grinds came out later that were probably better, but this is where things were at in '55.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 33155 Sisler-Isky001.pdf (696.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf 4555 Isky-sisler002.pdf (687.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: pdf 4555 Isky hard face overlay003.pdf (1.41 MB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf 4555 Isky Top Tuner Tips005.pdf (1.30 MB, 36 views)
Old 04-01-2021, 05:27 PM   #41
52Allard

So Sisler did pony up and pay for the new Isky 102-A cam and '52 Olds valve springs...

I was told that Iskenderian early cams were all regrinds and that he preferred '32 Ford cams since he felt Ford used superior forged cam blanks instead of cast blanks after '32. That's why the bearings were .010" undersized. You guys would probably know better though.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 42055 Sisler-isky006.pdf (1.76 MB, 27 views)
Old 04-01-2021, 08:15 PM   #42
mercman from oz

That is one neat 1952 Allard Roadster.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:19 PM   #43
mercman from oz

Similar model Allard Roadster
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:50 PM   #44
52Allard

Forgot about this series of correspondence so the scans are a little out of order. This is to Stevens Motors Inc. in '54 and early '55.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6354 Sisler-Stevens007.pdf (611.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf 71954 Stevens-Sisler008.pdf (779.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: pdf 8954 Sisler-Stevens009.pdf (789.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: pdf 22355 Stevens-Sisler010.pdf (364.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf 6555 Sisler-Stevens011.pdf (432.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-03-2021, 06:19 AM   #45
glennpm

Rotated some pages for you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4555 Isky hard face overlay003.pdf (1.41 MB, 13 views)
File Type: pdf 4555 Isky Top Tuner Tips005.pdf (1.30 MB, 8 views)
Old 04-03-2021, 07:24 AM   #46
52Allard

Thanks much!
Old 04-03-2021, 08:33 AM   #47
glennpm

No problem PM me on any others you want edited.

Glenn
Old 04-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #48
Ol' Ron

One question: Does this car still have the "split" front axle, If so. Does it have Camber limiters installed. Might be a good safty thing??
Gramps
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:08 PM   #49
52Allard

Great question Ol'Ron. Yes - all the production Allards that I'm aware of up to the K3 and I think the JR model had the split axel front suspension. I know that seems really weird but Sidney Allards roots went back to hill climbs and rough roads of England. If you wanted a lot of suspension travel and didn't have lots of dollars to spend, that's the way to accomplish the task. For a more modern equivalent to this style of suspension think Ford truck twin I beam suspension. Basically the same thing but a little better execution with the Ford.
My car does have arrester straps although they need to be replaced. Believe it or not, I do have the document where Sisler requests them from Allard in England - attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 73156Sisler-Allards014.pdf (613.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-03-2021, 08:55 PM   #50
52Allard

Back to the Ardun engine story...
Sisler had all of the parts to get running in early '55, not sure exactly what he did about the valve guides (maybe C&T but he didn't save a receipt), he got the cam and valve springs from Isky, got his new oil spray bar from Stephens, and a few missing odds and ends directly from Allard.
Then apparently there was an incident. Sisler talks about a fire ruining the carburetors and manifolds in this note so needed new carburetors, fuel supply, linkages, etc. for the upcoming race season. Sisler also mentioned wanting a quote for the parts from Stephens in the last batch of letters so assuming this was also related to the fire and racing season drawing near. He did have an MG TC but the Allard was a big upgrade in performance with over 3X the power and not that much more weight so I'm sure he missed it and was eager to get back on the track.

(Looking at the car now, it has a little bubbling of paint on the bottom side of the hood but no other real damage related to fire so any damage from the fire must have been very contained.)

After Sisler ordered replacement parts from England, the correspondence goes quiet for the summer of '55 so assuming he did finally get it running at least satisfactorily enough.

Note: I have to take a break in posts for next week because of a business trip and won't be able to scan anything but some good upgrades to the Ardun coming in late '55 and '56 so stay tuned if interested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 32655 Sisler-Allards012.pdf (652.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf 41255 Allards -Sisler 013.pdf (373.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-03-2021, 10:14 PM   #51
Ol' Ron

I'm using this suspension system in a 27 T track roadster. I know it was very popular in Europe back in the 30s/40s. However had a tendency to flip the car if the wheel tucked under. I knew of one of these Allards back in Connecticut, It had an olds engine at the time, not sure if it was original. I questioned the the use of this type of suspension as I'd never seen one before. Since I found out they worked very back in the day. I like to try thing that are different, might work. Thanks.
Ol' Ron
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:08 PM   #52
52Allard

Hi Ron,
I wish you the best of luck with your independent front suspension modification. Here's a little help from Allard... One thing that you may have already noticed is that you will want to split your center link too as the distance between the steering arms will change as the suspension flexes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Suspension016.jpg (82.5 KB, 74 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Front Suspension sketch017.pdf (274.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-12-2021, 06:24 PM   #53
52Allard

I haven't ever had my car driving at any sort of speed so not sure how it handles but if you look through old racing records, the Allard J2 and some of the other Allard variations which all have the same or very close chassis and front suspension as the K2 was highly rated in competitions, oftentimes at the head of the pack with Jaguar and Italian sports cars and others. Somehow those guys were able to make the suspension work.
One thing that the J2's had was an independent rear suspension which was ahead of its time so that probably helped.

When I bought my car, I was a bit nervous about the front suspension knowing about the problems that the Corvair and Porsche 356's had. Here's an example of a rear suspension without something to limit wheel travel.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-pr...r-1-tatra-t87/

Here's the video:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...atch_permalink
Old 04-12-2021, 06:32 PM   #54
52Allard

Back to the Ardun rebuild story. Sisler (original owner of my car) was pretty quiet through the summer of '55 although did still have some troubles. Here are a couple of notes to C-T. When Clem TeBow is saying how they made the Ardun work by using Ford water pump bushings for the rocker arms, you can really see why those guys were the ones to make the Ardun show it's stuff.
And, Sisler is trying to work C-T for every little scrap of information he can in the next letter.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 7855 CT to Sisler018.pdf (271.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf 103155 Sisler to CT019.pdf (585.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-13-2021, 02:29 AM   #55
frnkeore

Welcome back,

Regarding the swing axle rolling under, the Porsche RKS used a low pivot, rear axle, to stop most of it. They did very well with that arrangement, it in the 50's and 60's.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 04-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #56
52Allard

Sisler must have had the engine running in '55 but after racing season is over, the wheels are turning in his mind. Here he's trying to upgrade induction and fuel systems...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 11455 moon-sisler020.pdf (488.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 04-14-2021, 02:55 AM   #57
frnkeore

I'm very surprised that Dean Moon would recommend something like that.

To begin with the Hilborn system, requires, at least 3 lines, from the tank. Feed, Pill and bypass. You'd have to plumb the injector side, back into the bypass while running the carb. The switch would take a lot of time, you also have to prime the injectors to start (hard to do with the hood on) and they don't run well at low speed (as he says) if, jetted for high speed. Not to mention the price, it would be close to $3k, in today's dollars. I do think it would well worth it, for a towed, full time race car.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 04-14-2021, 05:21 PM   #58
52Allard

frnkeore - you are right. It would have been a pain in the butt to switch between the two systems.
Not sure if Sisler did swap back and forth but he definitely went for the Hilborn Fuel Injection system. Of course that wasn't as simple as I'm sure it was described to him in letters and over the phone. You can see on the last page, Sisler is mentioning that the fuel injection pump pulley isn't lining up with the water pump pulleys so trying to work through that issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1356 sisler FIE021.pdf (1.96 MB, 25 views)
Old 04-14-2021, 09:41 PM   #59
MortyNTenon

Thanks for sharing. Can't imagine relying on ordering parts from a foreign country by mail for a limited build motor. Especially with apparently just enough knowledge to be dangerous.
MortyNTenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:50 PM   #60
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortyNTenon View Post
Thanks for sharing. Can't imagine relying on ordering parts from a foreign country by mail for a limited build motor. Especially with apparently just enough knowledge to be dangerous.
Uhh. What?
Old 04-15-2021, 08:26 AM   #61
Bored&Stroked

One thing is for sure . . . while Sisler may have had good intentions, he knew just about enough to be dangerous when it comes to many of his plans. He somehow believes he will put a mechanical Hilborn injection on the car (with obviously no injection experience) and will drive it on the street . . . AND he plans to get better gas mileage in the process. My guess is that unless he enlisted some talented folks to help him - he probably never managed to get the injectors installed and correctly tuned (even for racing).

If I was Stu Hilborn, I probably would NOT have sold them to him . . . as he probably had one continual headache as a result! LOL

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 04-15-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #62
Bored&Stroked

Hey 52 Allard - if you happen to find any documentation on the serial number of the Hilborn injectors - please post it. Would love to know what it was.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:20 PM   #63
frnkeore

He could have installed it and got it running, pretty easy. They are a simple system but, it wouldn't have been streetable.

They have a very good fuel curve for the mid and top end power range. What kills them for idling, is they have to leak vacuum, around the injector, to keep the nozzle from pulling gas straight threw it at idle and it's not adjustable.

They also, circulate a lot of fuel and in my road racing application, the pick up would cavitate on the last 1/3 of the tank and he may have had that problem, as well.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 04-15-2021, 05:58 PM   #64
52Allard

So as frnkeore mentioned the other day, fuel injection system is one thing but just getting the fuel out of the tank and to the injection system and back to the fuel tank is another thing.

Here's how that went...
I was surprised at the pressure system recommended by Dean Moon - definitely simple but a real throwback to 30's style race cars.

And in the next notes, Sisler went for the pressure system...
Not sure how driveable the car would have been because the final schematic doesn't show a way to really use a carburettor (unless he just kept pumping up the tank). Maybe he towed the car? Not sure - it doesn't have any evidence of a tow bar now.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 52256 sisler-moon022.pdf (1.65 MB, 30 views)
File Type: pdf 7356 sisler-moon023.pdf (1.62 MB, 15 views)
Old 04-15-2021, 06:01 PM   #65
52Allard

Quote:
Hey 52 Allard - if you happen to find any documentation on the serial number of the Hilborn injectors - please post it. Would love to know what it was.
Unfortunately I don't have any of that info. Someone asked me about the serial numbers on the Ardun heads and I don't know that either. The engine was supposed to have a serial number 2036-Z if that means anything to anyone.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #66
52Allard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortyNTenon View Post
Sisler did have lots of correspondence with Allard in England but Allard wasn't doing too well in the mid '50s and definitely not spending any time or money developing the Ardun engine. There are a bunch of his letters that had to do with checks taking 12 or more weeks to clear, credit amounts, parts not available but spared you all of that bother.

All the fun Ardun development was going on in California and Sisler either read too many magazine articles of successful other people's projects or, too cheap or stubborn just to pay someone to get his car working the way he wanted it to. Definitely should have been terrified though.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:49 AM   #67
frnkeore

Regarding the FI system, I bought mine, in late '73 or early '74. At that time, they didn't recommend any fuel pump, other than the injection pump and you had to run separate lines, for the pill and a bypass line. The bypass line, was for closed throttle conditions, while at higher rpm, to keep from building to much pressure. They also recommended a shut off valve, on the pressure side of the pump.

My unit also came with the pump drive, that fit a Flathead generator mount and a V-groove pulley, that I had to change to a timing belt.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 04-16-2021, 06:18 PM   #68
52Allard

Quote:
Regarding the FI system, I bought mine, in late '73 or early '74. At that time, they didn't recommend any fuel pump, other than the injection pump and you had to run separate lines, for the pill and a bypass line. The bypass line, was for closed throttle conditions, while at higher rpm, to keep from building to much pressure. They also recommended a shut off valve, on the pressure side of the pump.

My unit also came with the pump drive, that fit a Flathead generator mount and a V-groove pulley, that I had to change to a timing belt.
Did the bypass line have a pressure regulator up by the pump or something?
Thanks for the info - good stuff - interesting.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:24 PM   #69
52Allard

As I'm sure you guys figured out that when Sisler wanted to burn more air and fuel - he needed more ignition. Here's what he did...

There is also a good description of the final configuration of the engine and car.

Although Sisler didn't buy the magneto from Joe Hunt, I put that note in too because it's from Joe Hunt and Hunt sent a Vertex magneto setup sheet so thought that was worth sharing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 81056 bell-sisler024.pdf (820.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf 7656 sisler-joehunt025.pdf (1.10 MB, 19 views)
Old 04-16-2021, 06:36 PM   #70
52Allard

And that's about all I know. THought it was worth sharing because of the notes from all the different people that were at the top of their game including Zora Duntov, Clem TeBow and others. Hope it was interesting. It goes to show that it took a village and a lot of persistence to make the thing run.

The speedometer in the car currently has a little over 40K miles on it but now the car has a completely stock '62 Cadillac 390 in it and the speedometer isn't hooked up so I'm assuming the Ardun lasted the 40K miles and Sisler didn't want to go through another Ardun rebuild so swapped it out for the Cadillac. I think the Cadillac was purchased new since it doesn't have a serial number (I hear Cadillac stamped the serial number after it was mated with a car). Unfortunately, the Cadillac has the stock Jetaway 315 automatic transmission so can't really use the engine up to its full potential. After the Cadillac engine, I'm guessing Sisler kept driving the car until '73 or that's what the front license plate says and sold it in the early '80s. It's been a non runner ever since.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:03 PM   #71
Bored&Stroked

Looks like Sisler purchased a lot of high quality and proven race components - I wonder if he ever got the engine completed and on the road? Joe Hunt was a personal HotRod friend on mine - in the 70's, he had his shop on Crenshaw Blvd in Torrance - which was on my way to school. Joe Reath introduced me to Joe Hunt (I was 16 years old) and Joe became my ignition mentor. He setup my first Harman Collins dual-point, then my Harman Collins mag for my blown flathead afterwards. I used to help him in his shop and with some of his various vintage Offy projects. He was a wonderful man and always had time to answer my questions and help me with my projects. In recent years, I replicated his magneto testing machine here in Ohio - as the way he explained it to me made sense, so I had to make my own in later years. It is my 'Frankenstein' ignition tester! LOL
Old 04-17-2021, 01:14 AM   #72
Ardun

Great to hear you are going to put an ARDUN back in. My heads have are the early ones with the front winter outlets. Would have preferred center outlets but finding any ARDUN heads was difficult, so these do fine. I did use Ronnieroadster‘s spark plug tube seals in the build and they work great. Love the ARDUN and wish you the best.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 83E4D589-AC79-4EF8-97D5-798E2554C4DF.jpg (82.2 KB, 64 views)
Ardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:26 AM   #73
frnkeore

Quote:
Did the bypass line have a pressure regulator up by the pump or something?
Thanks for the info - good stuff - interesting.
Thank you for this wonderful thread on your car and the Ardun engine.

The pressure relief valve was in the pump, at the return port. Both pressure and return were -8 AN fittings.

I'm really amazed at the price of the Vertex mag! That would be close to $1600 in today's money.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
Old 04-17-2021, 07:38 AM   #74
Bored&Stroked

RE: Injectors:

The original pump for the Hilborn Ardun injector was a vane type that Stu stopped making or servicing many years ago. It is extremely hard to find one in good working condition, so most folks who happen to have one of these injectors will use a modern pump. Here is what the original pump looked like - you can see the pressure relief valve with the tie wire on it. Modern pumps don't have pressure relief valves in the pump - they are part of the line/plumbing instead (and there are many ways they are implemented) - depending on the injector style, usage, fuel type, etc..

Here is one of the early Ardun injector pumps I have:

IMG_9092.jpg

IMG_9093.jpg

OriginalCatalogPics-1963.jpg
Old 04-17-2021, 07:42 AM   #75
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
I'm really amazed at the price of the Vertex mag! That would be close to $1600 in today's money.
Part of the reason for that price was due to Sisler's engine being a 1948 style block - which meant he had the front mount distributor setup. So, in addition to the mag itself, they would also have to supply an 90 degree angle drive - which was a fairly big addition to the standard mag cost. In today's world, to try to find an angle drive, then have the proper magneto base setup and then buy the mag, would be well over $2000 - if you can find the angle drive.

The Vertex would have been a much better setup for road-racing and the street in general as it has a mechanical advance system, while the Harman Collins magneto is locked down (with no advance in the mag).

I run a Vertex with an angle drive in my 32 Cabriolet - love the way a mag runs with a flathead.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:46 AM   #76
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardun View Post
Great to hear you are going to put an ARDUN back in. My heads have are the early ones with the front winter outlets. Would have preferred center outlets but finding any ARDUN heads was difficult, so these do fine. I did use Ronnieroadster‘s spark plug tube seals in the build and they work great. Love the ARDUN and wish you the best.

Tom
That is a heck of a nice looking engine compartment. I bet very few "modern" folks have any idea as to what type of engine that is. Did Ronnie build the engine for you? He's a good friend . . . we chat about all things Ardun and flathead related quite frequently.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:52 AM   #77
Ardun

Quote:
That is a heck of a nice looking engine compartment. I bet very few "modern" folks have any idea as to what type of engine that is. Did Ronnie build the engine for you? He's a good friend . . . we chat about all things Ardun and flathead related quite frequently.
Thank you. My friends and I built the engine as we are in Reno, NV. Another is in process. Yes, people just don’t understand. Always a pleasure to open the hood and observe the people.

For fuel I use an Austin Intake and Quick Fuel Carb. Bought the last manifold Ken made before he sold to H&H. Although a great runner and no issues, wish I would have used Don’s rocker arms which we are using on the new build.

Ronnie has been a great soundboard and love his tube seals. Block is an 8ba wiht a Merc crank. Had a lot of fun making the stainless water outlets. Didn’t know at the time I could have modified the heads and changed the outlets to the center. Oh well, I am kind of a loner. Uniquely, my heads are sequentially numbered 233 and 234. The ‘53 is another nice story. From a six to an ARDUN and many other things while remaining stock appearing.

Too bad I couldn’t afford this when I was younger as I am now 81.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:55 AM   #78
glennpm

Beautiful car and motor!
Old 04-17-2021, 12:00 PM   #79
Bored&Stroked

And just for fun . . . something I found many years ago. The top of the crate that Ardun heads were shipped in:

Ardun-Packing-Crate-Lid copy.jpg
Old 04-17-2021, 12:03 PM   #80
Ardun

You don’t need that cluttering up things, send it my way.

Tom
Old 04-17-2021, 12:05 PM   #81
Ardun

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #82
Ardun

Quote:
Part of the reason for that price was due to Sisler's engine being a 1948 style block - which meant he had the front mount distributor setup. So, in addition to the mag itself, they would also have to supply an 90 degree angle drive - which was a fairly big addition to the standard mag cost. In today's world, to try to find an angle drive, then have the proper magneto base setup and then buy the mag, would be well over $2000 - if you can find the angle drive.

The Vertex would have been a much better setup for road-racing and the street in general as it has a mechanical advance system, while the Harman Collins magneto is locked down (with no advance in the mag).

I run a Vertex with an angle drive in my 32 Cabriolet - love the way a mag runs with a flathead.
I have a Mallory Electronic and is good. Haven’t figured out a good smog valve setup yet for an 8ba. Any thoughts? Don’t want to drill original intake cover or valve covers. In any event, should have done this during the build.

Tom
Old 04-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #83
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardun View Post
I have a Mallory Electronic and is good. Haven’t figured out a good smog valve setup yet for an 8ba. Any thoughts? Don’t want to drill original intake cover or valve covers. In any event, should have done this during the build.

Tom
Lot of threads on this topic, might try a search or start a new thread with the question. It's a bit off topic here.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #84
Ardun

Ya, agree “off topic,” and will continue to look for anything ARDUN specific.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:32 PM   #85
52Allard

Quote:
Looks like Sisler purchased a lot of high quality and proven race components - I wonder if he ever got the engine completed and on the road? Joe Hunt was a personal HotRod friend on mine - in the 70's, he had his shop on Crenshaw Blvd in Torrance - which was on my way to school. Joe Reath introduced me to Joe Hunt (I was 16 years old) and Joe became my ignition mentor. He setup my first Harman Collins dual-point, then my Harman Collins mag for my blown flathead afterwards. I used to help him in his shop and with some of his various vintage Offy projects. He was a wonderful man and always had time to answer my questions and help me with my projects. In recent years, I replicated his magneto testing machine here in Ohio - as the way he explained it to me made sense, so I had to make my own in later years. It is my 'Frankenstein' ignition tester! LOL
Thanks much for sharing Bored&Stroked.
I used to help out a guy named Lynn Yakel who was part of the California sports car culture in the '50s and knew Dean Moon, Vic Edelbrock, Stu Hilborn and the drivers like Phil Hill bunch of other names that I forgot. Lynn had a Mercedes 300SL that he bought either new or fairly new. I wish I had thought to ask more questions of him at the time. There was definitely something very special pioneered by those guys. Hotrods are still a thing 70 years later.
I'm sure you cherish your time spent learning from Joe Hunt.

As for Sisler, I think he did get the Ardun running as he sent a letter to renew his subscription for the Allard Owners Club newsletter in 1960 so that was after his Ardun rebuild and before the Cadillac engine. He must have been happy with the car at that time. I'm sure he had some local friends able to help out too. He was active in his sports car club so I'm sure some of the guys took pity with all the issues and helped him sort things out.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:40 PM   #86
52Allard

Quote:
RE: Injectors:

The original pump for the Hilborn Ardun injector was a vane type that Stu stopped making or servicing many years ago. It is extremely hard to find one in good working condition, so most folks who happen to have one of these injectors will use a modern pump. Here is what the original pump looked like - you can see the pressure relief valve with the tie wire on it. Modern pumps don't have pressure relief valves in the pump - they are part of the line/plumbing instead (and there are many ways they are implemented) - depending on the injector style, usage, fuel type, etc..

Here is one of the early Ardun injector pumps I have:
Thanks much for the Hilborn fuel injection system info - I haven't been able to find out much about that so really appreciated seeing what it's supposed to look like.
Old 11-26-2023, 11:07 AM   #87
IronFord

@Glennpm thank you for posting the Ardun white pages. I've been looking for them.
IronFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 12:05 PM   #88
glennpm

You're welcome
Old 11-26-2023, 02:05 PM   #89
deuce_roadster

I received with my 34 coupe 4 framed pages of the original brochure with data and specs. If I get a chance today, I will photograph them and post in my New Car (to me) album.
I appreciate you sharing your letter. thank you.
If anyone has a legit Zora autograph that they would sell I would be interested in it. Besides the Ardun coupe, I have a 57 FI GM fiberglass car that Zora had a lot to do with.
The previous owner of my 34 coupe (you sharp eyed guys will notice it has 33 doors) told me many years ago he met Zora at an event in CA and got his autograph, but it was nowhere to be found in his stuff.

4 pages of brochure posted in New car to me album. You can zoom them up to read the typewritten parts. I took the pages out of frames to photograph due to glass reflections and see I should have placed them on something flatter. The location where I took the pictures was the best for lighting.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 11-26-2023 at 03:41 PM.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 10:48 AM   #90
Als48

Hi 52 Allard,

I find your Ardun thread very interesting and wondered if you are continuing in your quest to revive the Allard. How's it going?

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 12:51 PM   #91
52Allard

Apologies for the long delay on updates but yes - following in Sisler's quest to rebuild the engine and car. Still in the parts acquisition mode and did find a C69A block. In a couple of the original owner's letters, Sisler mentioned the car had a C99A block but not sure that was correct since the 99A was a 1939 engine. So, the C69A will have to do for this go around. I do have an angled drive and early Vertex Scintilla magneto but probably one of the F.T. Griswold mags is the right time period but still haven't found one of those yet. I don't think I will mess around with the Hilborn fuel injection since this car is meant for driving around with my wife. I was able to find a good set of original Ardun intake manifolds that the original owner knew weren't very good but that's where I'm going to start. I think I'll use 2 Strombergs instead of the 2 European Solex carbs that originally were on the car.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:55 PM   #92
52Allard

Another project I'm working on is the transmission for the car - perhaps you guys can give me some advice...
Other guys said that English built cars had the serial number stamped on a tag on the firewall and not the transmission. OK no problem, after a year of searching, paying too much and driving 600 miles, I found a no serial number 1939 Ford transmission that was used but in really nice shape. I also found a NOS set of LZ gears and was ready for the swap. I really wanted the transmission to be rebuilt correctly so I sent it to a well known early Ford transmission repair shop for the repairs, talked with the owner and he said he understood what needed to be done and said it was no problem and he could credit my job with any useable parts from the core transmission. So boxed up the trans, new LZ gears and other parts and sent it off to be rebuilt.
When the shop received the transmission, they said it was an early ’39 transmission so needed some additional parts. I didn’t really know the difference between an early and late transmission so said fine, go ahead and rebuild the transmission.
I got a call from the shop owner a month later saying that the transmission was done and none of the parts inside were any good so no credit value for the old parts but I asked to return them anyhow because you never know…
When the transmission was returned, the rebuild shop had swapped my transmission case with someone else’s transmission so now the core that I paid top dollar was gone I and got a common transmission with a big 18-48XXXXX serial number very conspicuously stamped on the top. Also, my very nice '39 shifter lever wasn’t returned and only the old cluster gear was returned. I did call the shop and ask why they rebuilt and sent me someone else’s transmission and I got a page long email that basically said they aren’t going to do anything to make things right.
So after $3,500 in cost plus another $250 that I need to spend to buy a shift lever and 600 miles to pick up the correct core part for my car, I have a regular old Ford transmission. The rebuilt transmission seems OK so I don’t have any complaints about that but it’s just the wrong transmission which really annoys me.

What would you guys do?
Old 01-24-2024, 02:11 PM   #93
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Apologies for the long delay on updates but yes - following in Sisler's quest to rebuild the engine and car. Still in the parts acquisition mode and did find a C69A block. In a couple of the original owner's letters, Sisler mentioned the car had a C99A block but not sure that was correct since the 99A was a 1939 engine. So, the C69A will have to do for this go around. I do have an angled drive and early Vertex Scintilla magneto but probably one of the F.T. Griswold mags is the right time period but still haven't found one of those yet. I don't think I will mess around with the Hilborn fuel injection since this car is meant for driving around with my wife. I was able to find a good set of original Ardun intake manifolds that the original owner knew weren't very good but that's where I'm going to start. I think I'll use 2 Strombergs instead of the 2 European Solex carbs that originally were on the car.
On the last ARDUN I built just over a year ago the client wanted to run a Vertex Scintillia right angle mag drive the engine is now in an untouched Hotrod built in 1949 lots of patina and history as well. The build was on a 59A block I discovered the right angle Vertex drive angle produced a problem where the mag body is directly in the way of the water pump pulley.

To solve this problem I ended up using a Pounden right angle drive. Using this drive works great since its adjustable you can rotate the mag mount on the front cover so it clears the water pump pulley and fits nicely under the generator with the belt going around everything with no issues. Only drawback to this is the Pounden is not easy to find.
Ronnieroadster
Old 01-24-2024, 03:55 PM   #94
alchemy

Regarding your transmission, I would let all of us know the rebuilder so we will know what kind of person he is.

As for the no number case, any three speed transmission from an F-1 pickup from about 48-53 will be the same case, but no serial number ever stamped on it. A good source for the proper shifter top casting too.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 09:58 AM   #95
Als48

52 Allard,

Van Pelt would have been a good alternative for the rebuild and transmission parts from what I've read on FordBarn. We're glad you're back on the Allard project. Keep us updated.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 10:16 AM   #96
deuce_roadster

I think it would be a service to all here for us to know who NOT to send or recommend for transmission work. If you are afraid of repercussions for dissing someone, even if a member here, please just give us the address where you sent the trans to.
We all need to know who is that dishonest.
It sounds like you got back a trans with the earlier style gears and inferior synchronizers and they kept the good parts for themselves, and on top of that they charged you.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 10:26 AM   #97
tubman

I agree. If that happened, the perpetrator should be outed.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:19 PM   #98
Bored&Stroked

RE: On the last ARDUN I built just over a year ago the client wanted to run a Vertex Scintillia right angle mag drive the engine is now in an untouched Hotrod built in 1949 lots of patina and history as well. The build was on a 59A block I discovered the right angle Vertex drive angle produced a problem where the mag body is directly in the way of the water pump pulley.

There are different Vertex angle drives - with different clocking angles on them. I've seen some that really clock the mag over toward the Driver's side - probably designed for a race-only application and a V8-60. I probably have 3 different configurations in the various angle-drives I have.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:30 PM   #99
Ronnieroadster

There are different Vertex angle drives - with different clocking angles on them. I've seen some that really clock the mag over toward the Driver's side - probably designed for a race-only application and a V8-60. I probably have 3 different configurations in the various angle-drives I have.[/QUOTE]

Good to know the ones I have are all towards the driver side lucky me
Old 01-25-2024, 05:45 PM   #100
52Allard

Thanks much, I really appreciate that tip. I'll be on the lookout.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:13 PM   #101
52Allard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
Regarding your transmission, I would let all of us know the rebuilder so we will know what kind of person he is.

As for the no number case, any three speed transmission from an F-1 pickup from about 48-53 will be the same case, but no serial number ever stamped on it. A good source for the proper shifter top casting too.

As for the rebuilder, he's a very well-known rebuilder, is very knowledgeable and in general seems like a decent guy. He has a shop guy that does the rebuilds in another location and I'm guessing there is a communication problem between the main office and the shop. For another example, the shop owner said that he would send back my case primed but it was sent back sand blasted cast iron. I don't really care about that since I'm going to paint the trans the same as the engine but it's another example of a lack of communication between the shop and main office.

Thanks so much for the tip on the truck transmission case. I'll be on the lookout!
Old 01-25-2024, 06:24 PM   #102
52Allard

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
I think it would be a service to all here for us to know who NOT to send or recommend for transmission work. If you are afraid of repercussions for dissing someone, even if a member here, please just give us the address where you sent the trans to.
We all need to know who is that dishonest.
It sounds like you got back a trans with the earlier style gears and inferior synchronizers and they kept the good parts for themselves, and on top of that they charged you.
The transmission returned does have the LZ gears that I sent, later model synchronizers, and the other good parts. Everything else now seems OK in the trans now.

I'm really just annoyed that I went out of my way to find the 39 trans that I sent them, paid too much for it, and drove 600 miles to pick it up. Then they rebuilt someone else's trans so I don't know if all the parts in my core transmission were bad or not and now I have someone else's trans... I don't mean to whine but it's annoying more than anything.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:33 PM   #103
52Allard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
On the last ARDUN I built just over a year ago the client wanted to run a Vertex Scintillia right angle mag drive the engine is now in an untouched Hotrod built in 1949 lots of patina and history as well. The build was on a 59A block I discovered the right angle Vertex drive angle produced a problem where the mag body is directly in the way of the water pump pulley.

To solve this problem I ended up using a Pounden right angle drive. Using this drive works great since its adjustable you can rotate the mag mount on the front cover so it clears the water pump pulley and fits nicely under the generator with the belt going around everything with no issues. Only drawback to this is the Pounden is not easy to find.
Ronnieroadster
Thanks for the tip Ronnie.
I've seen a few Pounden mag bases but not with the magneto. I understand he used airplane mags so seems possible to reconstruct but I haven't found a whole assembly of base + mag so a little reluctant to go down that path.

The angle drive I found has a bronze adaptor plate that should allow me to change the orientation of the magneto. It's another leak point though so that will be some messing around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7240.jpg (51.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 01-25-2024, 06:40 PM   #104
52Allard

Here's the basic look I'm going for.
This engine came out of an Allard J2 race car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ardun.jpg (91.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 01-25-2024, 07:00 PM   #105
petehoovie

Quote:
Thanks for the tip Ronnie.
I've seen a few Pounden mag bases but not with the magneto. I understand he used airplane mags so seems possible to reconstruct but I haven't found a whole assembly of base + mag so a little reluctant to go down that path.

The angle drive I found has a bronze adaptor plate that should allow me to change the orientation of the magneto. It's another leak point though so that will be some messing around.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 07:00 PM   #106
petehoovie

Quote:
Here's the basic look I'm going for.
This engine came out of an Allard J2 race car.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote