Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
Beater

Default powerhouse 5 brush set

looking for any direction for a set of 5 powerhouse brushes/ is there anything you can make them out of? I see a set for sale in the for sale here but haven't got a reply yet. need a set fairly badly
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: powerhouse 5 brush set

Beater,
IF you have a local rebuilder, he "might" have some that could be modified to work??
Bill W.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

In a pinch you can insert a thick piece of cardboard between the spring and brush. This will let the brush wear more before the spring hits the stop of the brush holder.
You can also buy the generator brush set for the long generator and cut each brush in half through the mounting hole, then file each to the correct size. Notice the field brush is a bit thinner. After you get each brush filed to size, then you can carefully drill a small hole part way into the brush and insert the wire from the worn brush. Hold the wire in the hole with a small brass wood screw.

I got a powerhouse years ago where someone had done this brush fix, and they did such a good job that I thought the brushes were factory made.

I'll have to find the number, but there are some other more common brushes that can be filed to size, and they have the wire and terminal on them. The flag terminal is a little larger, but will still work fine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

These should fit the bill quite nicely after some filing to size.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-NOS-Brush...v2T0_g&vxp=mtr

Here's another good choice, and it will also need custom fitting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Sets-Ohio...9UYRFT&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 06-14-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
Beater

I have it apart and no luck on adding to it ive thought about that to they are to far gone. not sure on the buick ones in the ebay link. local rebuilder says he cant source them. and yes ive build brushes by trimming down stuff but nothing in my goodie box is even close. a gent on here has a set for sale and I have messaged him but no replys
Old 06-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #6
Willie Krash

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
A Presto-lite generator brush once cut in half will fit nicely. Try part #E-39 or E-62. In a pinch most E series brushes will work.
If you can find E-57's and can solder it has double leads and you can make two out of one brush. They should not cost as much as eBayers want.

Put eBay #151680524760 in eBay's search bar to see a sample.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #7
Beater

thanks
Old 06-14-2016, 09:29 PM   #8
frank55a

For the past fifteen years or so it has become increasingly difficult to find brushes for the five (5) brush powerhouse generator and very expensive when they are located. I therefore have made several sets of brushes for both the 3 and 5 brush "Powerhouse Generators".The procedure is very simple and the same for each type of generator. This procedure works well and I have had no problems with any of the brushes that I have made.

You can easily make a one (1) - 5 brush set or two (2) -3 brush sets in less than an hour for less than $3.
I use the standard 3 brush set for the 29-31 generator that are readily available from any of the Model A parts dealers. I cut then in half using a Dremel Tool with a thin "cut-off wheel", then use fine sand paper to fit the brush to the size of the specific brush holder, drill small hole thru end of brush for wire and countersink back side of hole slightly. I use regular house lamp wire that I strip the insulation off or lamp grounding wire, twist lamp wire so it will fit in drilled hole, put a drop of super-glue on end of lamp wire that goes into brush, to hold brush in place. Push lamp wire thru hole with small amount extending out back side, expand back side of wire into countersunk area and put another drop of super-glue on this area. When the glue is dry, file excess wire so it is flush.Cut wire to necessary length and add a small wire terminal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Powerhouse Brush 1.JPG (64.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Powerhouse Brush 2.JPG (76.1 KB, 21 views)
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:22 AM   #9
leakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
looking for any direction for a set of 5 powerhouse brushes/ is there anything you can make them out of? I see a set for sale in the for sale here but haven't got a reply yet. need a set fairly badly
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179529
leakers is offline   Reply With Quote