Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
jacob smith

Default 6 volt relay

I need a 6 volt relay for thr fog lights on my 36 ford. Anyone have a part number for one or were i can get one
Old 11-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
Old Henry

Default Re: 6 volt relay

I use this one for my car:

Bought from Radio Shack for $7.00 here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/09...g?v=1446834758

Although it says 14 volt, it works fine with my 6 volt.

BTW, I don't use a relay on my fog lights, just the ignition switch and everything that runs through there. I run the fog lights off of the headlight circuit breaker through a vintage NOS Ark-les switch under the dash (here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...witch&_sacat=0) and yellow LED indicator light to remind me when they're on. Been using them like that as day time driving lights for thousands of road trip miles and no problems.

Last edited by Old Henry; 11-11-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sorry to disagree with Henry, but that is not a good relay to use for 6v systems.

Bosch SPDT
6V 30 amp Relay
Used as dimmer relay In 1950 to 1966 VW
Also listed as:
Merced 0035340245
Porsche PCG61510100
John Deere AR91168

The Bosch Relay is a high quality metal cased relay,
but it is fairly expensive, a cheaper
alternative is the plastic style such as:
Durakool DG85B-8011-96-1006-M1
TE Connectivity / Potter & Brumfield 1432873-1
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #4
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Sorry to disagree with Henry, but that is not a good relay to use for 6v systems.
Funny. I coulda sworn I've run my whole car off of that relay for three years and 50,000 miles as part of my emergency kill system. Here: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88677

One advantage of the relay from Radio Shack is it is higher capacity - 60 amps vs 30 amps for the others, if that matters at all. Certainly not needed for a couple of fog lamps. In fact, no relay needed at all, as I said.

Last edited by Old Henry; 11-11-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:12 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
X 2 ! That whole thing is an electrical nightmare. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #6
Old Henry

Or, if you like a metal case and made for 6 volt use a horn relay like I do for my halogen brake lights. From C&G for $18.00 here: http://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/cgcat...mber=7ra-13853

Same price for the VW relay here: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-...jGQhoCLs_w_wcB

But, like I say, you don't really need a relay. I always try to K.I.S.S.*

*(Keep It Simple Stupid)
Old 11-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #7
jacob smith

Thank you for all the help. My car had a relay in it but it went bad. There were no numbers on it. Since I do not want to reinvent the wheel on the car I I'll get the relay. I do like the idea of the adding an led light.

Jacob
Old 11-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It's not that you can't use an incorrect part and get away with it sometimes, it's just not the best approach. 12v relays are made for 12v systems and 6v relays are made for 6v systems. Will a 12v relay work in a 6v system? Sometimes, but it does not have the correct latching voltage and is always on the borderline of not latching properly. It can also vary from relay to relay within the same brand. Same thing goes for using a horn relay for a different application. Horn relays are designed for intermittent use where a fog light relay would be considered a constant latched application. It is possible to get by with using all sorts of parts for the wrong application, but not sure what the point of that is. It may work ,it may not work or it may marginally work, just doesn't seem like the best way to do things when the correct parts are available.

I worked in the design of aircraft systems and I'm sure a lot of folks will appreciate that we ALWAYS used the correct specification parts in the aircraft and not something that might work most or some of the time!!!
Old 11-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Also, probably not an issue but something to be aware of is some relays use a diode internally which can create a problem with reverse polarity on the early Fords. Attached is a diagram for headlights, but would work for fog lights with some modification.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Headlight Wiring.pdf (311.1 KB, 202 views)
Old 11-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #10
Old Henry

Woah! Relays Smelays. What about the need to K.I.S.S.?
The bane of my existence when I had my Datsun 280ZX was all of the relays that were constantly failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob smith View Post
My car had a relay in it but it went bad.
I rest my case.

Last edited by Old Henry; 11-11-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #11
jacob smith

Does the bosh relay that is called out have the diode in it
Old 11-12-2015, 04:17 PM   #12
supereal

We use six volt starter solenoids to run headlights, particularly halogens. It takes two, one for high beam, the other low. Old car headlights suffer from voltage loss in the dash switch, the dimmer switch, bullet connectors, etc.so there is little juice left for the lamps. You feed direct battery to the solenoids, and operate them using the original wiring. They are placed on the inside left fender on a small panel. If interested, I can post photos.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:35 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
We use six volt starter solenoids to run headlights, particularly halogens. It takes two, one for high beam, the other low. Old car headlights suffer from voltage loss in the dash switch, the dimmer switch, bullet connectors, etc.so there is little juice left for the lamps. You feed direct battery to the solenoids, and operate them using the original wiring. They are placed on the inside left fender on a small panel. If interested, I can post photos.
I didn't bring that approach up, but I agree with supereal and in fact that is what I use on my 33 coupe. I always though it was an original idea that I thought up, but after I saw a photo/sketch of the one supereal uses I decided I must of seen it before and had the idea in the back of my mind (ie. stole it!) LOL. The only difference is I use constant current relays and supereal uses starter (intermittent) relays. But he has used them for years (like Henry and his 12v relays), with good success, so go figure.

I mainly like the period look vs the modern square cube especially the black plastic ones. But that is just a personel thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headlight Relay Brass.jpg (58.2 KB, 101 views)
Old 11-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #14
jacob smith

well I found the the boch relay. I got 3 for $32. That should get the fog lights running. I would like to get my headlights brighter. But i read that running a relay on the early ford head lights that are run from the steering column switch is not a good idea. ( I am working on a 36 Ford) What are the thoughts. superreal i would like to see the photos. Thank you
Old 11-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Why in the world would running a relay for headlights be a problem? Some people don't think they are needed, but that is a different issue, they certainly will not cause a problem. I can post a diagram of the hookup if your interested.

Note: Superreal's set up looks just like the one I use (I think I must have stolen the idea from him!).
Old 11-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #16
jacob smith

I can not find the old post but I think it had something todo with hurting the switch at the bottom of the colum I would like to see the diagram
Thank you
Old 11-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #17
Steves46

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
I used this method on my 46 and what a difference it made.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #18
Peterooster

Try this, I use this in my 50 F-1. Pete http://www.newark.com/durakool/dg85b...alog&source=CJ
Peterooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob smith View Post
I can not find the old post but I think it had something todo with hurting the switch at the bottom of the colum I would like to see the diagram
Thank you
With a relay setup you are reducing the current through the light switch from full headlight draw to the small current required to latch the relay. That is the whole idea is to remove the current flow in the stock lighting switch. The attached diagram is for a floor dimmer switch, but the earlier wiring would be the same just using the high and low beam wire out of the lighting switch.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Headlight Wiring.pdf (311.1 KB, 76 views)
Old 11-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #20
jacob smith

Got it thank you.