Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
james.heider

Default Asking for help please

Hello ford barn members
I am writing to see if anyone can give me some direction. My husband was a member and has recently passed away. We have a 1931 Victoria that he was restoring and is not yet finished although we have all the parts, most of them new. Can anyone give me some advice on how to sell it.
In addition, we have a 1936 ford cabriolet also nearly finished.
Both are beautiful cars. If anyone can help me please email me at [email protected]
Thank you
Cheryl
james.heider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
woodiewagon46

Default Re: Asking for help please

Perhaps the best thing for you to do is to log onto the M.A.R.C., Model A Restorers Club site. There you will find about a dozen local chapters of the club and I would give a call to the club closest to your location, I'm sure someone will be willing to help. Sorry for your loss.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Bobs32

me too
Bobs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Fibber Mcgee

Sorry for your loss. I'll be praying for your family. Just be careful about getting a estimated value from a prospective buyer. Most people on here are honest but now days you have to be careful.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Mark Slight

Sorry for your loss. If it was my family I would get a bonded automotive appriaser before you listed them for sale. The are a lot of very crooked people that will try to steal them (money wise) from you.

The model A Club or the Early V-8 Club Ford of America may be able to help.
http://www.mafca.com/,http://www.earlyfordv8.org/

Mark
Mark Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
ford3

if you do advertise it, the first ones to show up are usually the shysters, just double what they offer, dont show it at your home, show it at another realitives or friends house, with several guys there, thieves have been know to find where the cars are located and come back later to help them selfs, and most of all DONT tell them you live alone
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
ky29roadster

I too am sorry for your loss. God bless you and family. You have already gotten some good advise. BRM
ky29roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford3 View Post
if you do advertise it, the first ones to show up are usually the shysters, just double what they offer, dont show it at your home, show it at another realitives or friends house, with several guys there, thieves have been know to find where the cars are located and come back later to help them selfs, and most of all DONT tell them you live alone
Be sure the locks are secure and the outside lighted, consider an alarm.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
37coop

a similar thing happened to friends of ours, the husband was killed and his widow had 2 cars to sell...I wont go into the cars details as it could cause bad feelings if the cars were recognised as belonging to my friends.....one was a more common v8 and the other was a very desirable v8,a scumbag visited to view them unknown to us and agreed to buy them both for the same price .. high price for the lesser car and low price for the desirable ,he collected the nice one and paid the agreed(very low ) price and never returned to collect and pay for the other(high priced ) car .......these people prey on the vulnerable and sadly she didn't want to trouble her friends so did it all herself ....these lowlifes are worldwide and always got their eyes open looking for situations like this ,my advice is involve friends who know the value of the cars and beware the friendly stranger ,my sympathies and good luck , cheers jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
34pickup

Also, don't be in a hurry unless you really need to be.These cars don't eat much and will be just as valuable a month or two later.
My condolences on your loss and pray that it will get better for you.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
Sal

I'm very sorry for your loss. Be careful there are people out there that take advantage of situations to get things for next to nothing. Take your time and do some research as to prices so you do not get taken.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
Bill Underwood

I had heled him get some parts for the vic over the last few years.My condolences to you. Seemed like a true gentlemam; rarequality these days.
Bill U
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
FHFD

Sorry for your loss.

This is a good reminder for the rest of us to write down (and keep in a known safe place) an itemized description of our builds, value, parts, % of completion, special features, idiosyncrosies, etc.
And just as importantly contact information of a trusted car friend.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #14
Tom Morookian

So sorry for your loss. A prayer will go out for the loss of our Fordbarner.

I will post this on the Barn and email you in case you don't check this on the Barn.

Where are you located? Just the town, never post your address. I'm sure you'll find a local Barner who will assist you in valuing the cars and may assist when buyers approach. If your anywhere near Ft. Myers, I'll do it.

If they offer to buy with a money order - it's a scam - even bank checks can be forged.

If someone shows up offering $10,000 for both cars - be very wary. Flipper.

Depending on condition and completeness your cars should be worth somewhere in the $10,000 to $25,000 EACH.

Don't rush into any deal - wait till you get a good estimate of the value.

Have several friends, neighbors or relatives with you when you show the cars to prospective buyers. Never hurts to have someone record the plate numbers off the buyers car.

I don't want to scare you but there are some very nasty scammers and thieves out there. be careful.

Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #15
Ken Bull

Hi Cheryl...So sorry for your loss...Jim helped me with pictures of his Cabriolet top frame when I was restoring my bent & battered one. My condolences to you. I wish I could help in some way...the advice you recieved here is right on! Good Luck
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #16
Bobs32

Way to go guys, we gotta all watch out for each other. Lord knows nobody else will.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
Bobs32

I left 99.9 % of my pride on the parade grounds of Ft Benning Ga in 1983. But I'm proud to be associated with this Barn.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
Charlie Stephens

Just a couple of more things to keep in mind. First the car doesn’t leave the driveway until the cash is in the bank. In my opinion to best way to handle the money is to open a temporary separate bank account for the transaction (arrange this in advance with your bank). Bring the paperwork for the car and go to the bank with the buyer. Have him (or your bank manager) call his bank and have the funds transferred. Verify with your bank manager that the transaction cannot be reversed and sign and give the buyer the paperwork for the car. Transfer the money to your personal account and close the temporary account. Go back to your house and let him take the car.

The second thing is to be sure the paperwork for the car is straight and the VIN (actually a serial number on the early Fords) can be located on the vehicle. If there is a problem found at the last minute it can kill a sale. The original number on the 1936 Ford should be on the top of the left frame rail near the steering box. The number can be read by bending over into the engine compartment and shining a small flashlight along the top of the rail to highlight the it. The original number should be between star 18-2265325 star (October 1935) and star 18-3216674 star (December 1936). The star was used by Ford to keep people from changing the serial number by adding additional digits at the ends. The Model A number is more of a problem. The official number is on top of the left frame rail under the body and the body must be lifted to see it (see http://jmodela.coffeecup.com/numbers.html) . It will be in the format star A 4696000 star (June 1931 example). The Model “A”s were identified for years by the engine and many DMV’s will accept an engine number as proof the car is the one on the paperwork and then attach a plate with their assigned number to the door jam (at least that is the way it used to be in California). Maybe the plate is already there. Post if you have number problems.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #19
Mart

I don't know if the original poster (Cheryl) has checked back in. She did ask for contact by email.

It's sad news, and must be very difficult to deal with.

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
james.heider

Thank you all. I am trying to take everything in. I will be careful. I have to get the titles put into my name when I get his death certificates which is a nightmare in itself.
His dream trip was to go to Germany to see the Porsche museum and he passed the day after we arrived. It was very difficult.
I am saddened to know that he wasn't able to finish his projects after all these years.
I just need to sell these so I can move closer to my sons.
Anyone can contact me if you know someone who is interested.
james.heider is offline   Reply With Quote