Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
Dana Barlow

Question 57 Y-v8 292 oil pump wear? check?

I'm checking all things that will lower psi oil. I use a mec.oil gage{not elc.) and it is not leaking. The pump should be EZ,so have taken it apart,I'm getting a feeler gage reading of .0045 in. max. at tip of pump center blade(4 tips,to outer 5 slots in ring,at each of tips as roll it around. That seems OK to me,but is that too much wear? There are no big scratchs or groves.

As I was removing pump inter parts,I put center back in too check pump drive shaft was not slipping at dis. end or pump end=OK

I had a bad drop in oil psi as I got home from a long day of running around town. It runs at 10 hot idel,an 30 hot at driving speed normaly.
Other things I checked out so far; 1#Oil in pan=OK,an no burnt smell,2#pulled spark plugs so I could take oil line to gage off at block=to see if oil pumped out when cranking with starter (yes it did).3#pulled off oil filter an cut open to see if there was any metal in filter paper by lay it out on news papers to drain,(none) 4# I just went and got another oil gage ,oil an a new filter,so can put it back together thurs. after I clean the spark plugs an can check oil psi again with new gage. I'm running out of ideas,if it's still low/I'll check back later ether way

Last edited by Dana Barlow; 12-11-2019 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Dana Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
darrell

Default Re: 57 Y-v8 292 oil pump wear? check?

check the spring in the pump.i took one apart the other day and it was broke in two.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
Dana Barlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post
check the spring in the pump.i took one apart the other day and it was broke in two.
Good idea,;; OK,did it,that was simple an fast to do,car is high up on my jackstands anyway. Thanks,it's still good ,and it still has the .062 washer I added too spring in cap end long ago for tiny boost. Check valve piston is moving fine too.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:29 PM   #4
KULTULZ

Post Re: 57 Y-v8 292 oil pump wear? check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Barlow View Post

I'm checking all things that will lower psi oil. I use a mec.oil gage{not elc.) and it is not leaking. The pump should be EZ,so have taken it apart,I'm getting a feeler gage reading of .0045 in. max. at tip of pump center blade(4 tips,to outer 5 slots in ring,at each of tips as roll it around. That seems OK to me,but is that too much wear? There are no big scratchs or groves.
Oil pump specs below. Rotor style, right?

If the pump checks out, it may be main bearing clearances. Oil pressure is a measurement of resistance to flow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Pump - Rotor Style.jpg (23.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Pump - Rotor Type _1.JPG (65.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Pump - Rotor Type _2 - Outer Race To Hsg Clearance.JPG (44.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Pump - Rotor Type _3 -.JPG (38.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Pump - Rotor Type _4 - Clearances.jpg (21.6 KB, 14 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-11-2019 at 08:50 PM.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
Dana Barlow

Thanks Kultulz, Yup thats my pump.
Size's space in pump checks out. I'm shocked they don't show inter 4 tip wear too outer ring.
Wounder who the art guy was that must of had a foggy photo to do his art with=he drew the feeler gage in the rubber O-ring,instead of between pump housing an outer ring/so that's a little funny.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Barlow View Post

Size's space in pump checks out. I'm shocked they don't show inter 4 tip wear too outer ring.

Wounder who the art guy was that must of had a foggy photo to do his art with=he drew the feeler gage in the rubber O-ring,instead of between pump housing an outer ring/so that's a little funny.
I think if you look closely, the type of feeler gauge being used is a tappet adjusting type with a bent blade so as not to intrude so far.

If you look at the oiling system, you will notice once the oil leaves the filter, its first oiling point is the cam bearings and then onto the mains.

You would suspect the cam bearings first. Have you removed the rocker covers to see if both banks rocker rm assemblies are getting oil?

The oil pan and/or pickup screen may also be partially blocked causing poor oil pickup. There may also be an air leak(s) (suction) somewhere in the pickup tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oiling System _1.jpg (38.9 KB, 100 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:37 PM   #7
miker98038

Dana and K, just a thought. If you'd turned a cam bearing, wouldn't it block the flow, raise the oil pressure, followed by a lot of clattering from the dry valves and bearings? I'd be looking at the oil pick up tube to pump connection. I had a leak in that grommet once, and it would start with normal pressure, then drop off (drastically) as the oil level in the pan went down and the air leak took over. Drove me crazy. If nothing else I'd put some heavy grease on the tube/pump connection and see if anything changes. If it holds even briefly, you've got it. If not, it's not much to clean up.

I'm thinking here a "sudden change" from normal, thus not due to normal wear.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #8
Dana Barlow

miker98038,I'll try it,cool idea
Old 12-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post

Dana and K, just a thought. If you'd turned a cam bearing, wouldn't it block the flow, raise the oil pressure, followed by a lot of clattering from the dry valves and bearings? I'd be looking at the oil pick up tube to pump connection.

I had a leak in that grommet once,
Sorry to hear about that ...

Quote:
... and it would start with normal pressure, then drop off (drastically) as the oil level in the pan went down and the air leak took over. Drove me crazy. If nothing else I'd put some heavy grease on the tube/pump connection and see if anything changes. If it holds even briefly, you've got it. If not, it's not much to clean up.

I'm thinking here a "sudden change" from normal, thus not due to normal wear.

Good points Mike. The way the pump was situated outside of the crankcase can lead to this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8659d54e-a34f-49e6-8603-f3f2.jpg (64.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg OIL PAN- MODIFIED REAR SUMP _1_crop.jpg (5.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Pickup Tube - Pump Install.jpg (20.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Pump - 1955- Gear Drive w Hex Drive.jpg (43.6 KB, 16 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 12-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
Dana Barlow

We all like a follow up after a thing is found an repaired ;;;
Now has 50* cold idel, WOW
It was the mechanical oil gage; Had gone bad/but with out leaking**<all those I had ever seen before**, failed an leaked into the gage face **an dripped from dash! Not this time{odd fail}.
Dose not hert checking out the other stuff,thanks for the great ideas.
Merry Christmas
Old 12-13-2019, 08:48 PM   #11
miker98038

Great news Dana. I'm with you, they always leaked on failure. Guess we're not too old to learn something.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:19 PM   #12
KULTULZ

Liquid filled gauge and -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3227_26.jpg (23.2 KB, 3 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 12-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #13
JimNNN

Glad it wasn't something more serious. BTW, what brand of oil pressure gauge was it? Was it a brand you'd had good luck with before?

I ask because I'm about ready to put a mechanical oil pressure gauge in my T-Bird. My mechanical oil pressure gauges used to leak now and then 40 years ago, but I haven't had that problem with the last several I've put in. I figure I'm slightly more competent installing them nowadays, but who knows?
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:44 PM   #14
KULTULZ

It all depends on quality. Say no to nylon tubing.

- DISCLAIMER -