Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
Ronnie Lawson

Default Cork or Paper

I am rebuilding my Model A engine and was wondering which is better for the gaskets on the valve cover and engine pan. Cork or paper.
Ronnie Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Cork or Paper

I like both and never had a problem with either. I usually get cork it seems, but either is fine by me.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:43 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

I prefer paper . If cork gaskets get tightened down too much they squeeze out the sides . I've used both types with good luck . Paper gaskets seem more fool proof .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Lawson View Post
I am rebuilding my Model A engine and was wondering which is better for the gaskets on the valve cover and engine pan. Cork or paper.
Hey Ronnie,
IMO, paper gaskets deform/tear too easily.
Also, if surfaces are least bit distorted/dirty , i.e.-oil pan, you have less chance of good seal with paper. Yes, you can use sealant , but that is another discussion subject
Whereas , there are differing grades of cork gasket. If you can , get rubber/cork compound gasket. This type gasket tends to be easier to work with and it does good handling the compression factor when clamped properly . My experience is that it also seals better than paper without adding sealant. We all have a clue what loose/excess sealant can get into in an engine. Ham handed use of fasteners can destroy any gasket and fastener.
I buy rubber/cork composition gasket material and make my own, with good results. Good luck
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
NCRebel

I read many of the reviews of cork verses the cork/rubber composite materials. I find the cork/rubber more stable under pressure and against more chemicals. I looked at the paper gasket materials also. The manufacturing of the materials are better and more reliable than the older gaskets available.

I think each has its place in the Model A. For instance I use cork in the fuel filter and paper in the carb.
NCRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
redmodelt

Snyders "paper" gasket has ground up cork in it. So it's both. We use the paper type.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #7
Kurt in NJ

I have some original paper valve cover gaskets, they are twice as thick as the repros
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

The paper oil pan and valve cover gaskets that I have used are pretty thick .They are really too thick to be called paper , more like thin cardboard . A person would really have to try to tear or deform them . These gaskets are not trhin paper like the timing cover gaskets that are about the thickness of a page in a magazine . I use sealer to hold the valve cover gasket to the valve cover and let it dry before installing . The oil pan gasket must be installed to the block instead of the oil pan . The tabs at the rear of the pan gasket must install so that they will install under the rear oil pan seal at the rear main bearing cap. I use sealer on the block not the oil pan .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote