Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #41
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: no numbers now what?

I agree. If it were mine the number would already be restamped without hesitation or conversation. Rod
Old 07-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #42
H. L. Chauvin

No doubt many things may have worked many times in the past for some vintage vehicle owners to try stamping engines and stamping frames with made up body numbers to get by; but if one has proper legal documents, trying to do this honestly and professionally can never ever hurt.

In my particular rare case, (because of a very gross error years back by an uninformed DMV Supervisor Official), once DMV Headquarters was subsequently legally convinced beyond any reasonable doubt, both the State Trooper & a subsequent DMV Supervisor requested that I stamp the original legal title/chassis/motor number in plain view on my frame so the body would never have to be removed again if this car is sold.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #43
BlueSunoco

[QUOTE=H. L. Chauvin;1112861]Serious Suggestion if you have "any" doubts:

1. Appears you have the proper legal paper work .... which is only a part of your battle plan ....... been there ..... done that ..... and after forwarding same to DMV as requested, I received a love letter from DMV's Nikita Khruschev top mad dog in a dress who would not budge for years.

H.L. you crack me up!!!!! I'm still laughing at the thought of this image! And, you are spot-on in describing these people
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #44
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

I went to DMV exactly one week sago and calmly sat eye to eye with a DMV Supervisor lady.

After this meeting last week, I knew my long awaited title was coming soon.

Received my March 1930 Coupe Registration Certificate today in the mail.

The extremely alert, brilliant, nice, lovely, affectionate, wonderful, beautiful, intelligent, compassionate DMV lady called to tell me my title will be coming shortly in a few days.

The official Date of title transfer indicated: December 30, 1984 ..... 31 years ago.

Purchase Price On Registration: $25.00

Long and very complicated title story ...... this March 1930 Coupe has been in my possession since February 1958 ..... 57 years.

DMV 101: Never give up no matter what happens.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:23 PM   #45
Model A Man

Two years as go I moved to Oregon from California and drove in one at a time three model A's and a 1930 Chrysler and had no problems. They used the motor number on all 4 cars.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #46
PepeLoco

Silversink. Since you are from Oregon and we all want you to follow all laws, here are some other state laws still no the books in your state you may not be familiar with:

Drivers must yield to pedestrians who are standing on the sidewalk.
One may not test their physical endurance while driving a car on a highway.
It is illegal to place a container filled with human fecal matter on the side of any highway.
Babies may not be carried on the running boards of a car.
Drivers may not pump their own gas.
A door on a car may not be left open longer than is necessary.
An adult may not show a minor any piece of classical artwork which depicts sexual excitement.
Dishes must drip dry.
The “Peer Review Statute” prohibits you from finding out details of any written or oral discussion about your medical treatment.
It is illegal to whisper “dirty” things in your lover’s ear during sex.
Ice cream may not be eaten on Sundays.
It is illegal to buy or sell marijuana, but it is legal to smoke it on your own property.
One may not bathe without wearing “suitable clothing,” i.
Canned corn is not to be used as bait for fishing.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/oregon
PepeLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #47
Tinbasher

This is just a test of patience. I just went through this in Ontario Cdn. I went in to the DOT. office and got them to give me the information they required. Then over about 4 visits, I was able to get them all of the info they required. Even though I had the original invoice from when I bought the car I had to get an appraisal. (And a letter from my lawyer. Visit 3) Of course this was of a greater value so now the Tax was 4 times what it should have been. Visit 4 paid them there tax plus there tax on the tax and the fee for the ownership and all was good.
Go Figure Eh!

John Poole
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #48
theHIGHLANDER

I would never stamp my real serial/title number on the frame of the car/truck...

as far any of you know...
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:48 AM   #49
bobusnick104

I stamped my own numbers on the bottom side of the frame. No way was I going to lift the body and find out there were no numbers or not matching ones. I bought the car in New Hampshire and there wasn't a title in that state. PA needed an inspection mechanic to verify the numbers. I made the numbers look like they were there forever and took a picture.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #50
Simonpie

I recently transferred a Washington A into Oregon. It had no numbers anywhere. The number on the title was obviously one created by the Washington DMV. The State Patrol created a new number and put a sticker on the frame. They told me I should stamp the number, because the stickers eventually fall off.

I also once had a trailer that had sat in the sun too long and the VIN sticker faded to nothing. The DMV told me to steel stamp the number near the sticker.
Simonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #51
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonpie View Post
I recently transferred a Washington A into Oregon. It had no numbers anywhere. The number on the title was obviously one created by the Washington DMV. The State Patrol created a new number and put a sticker on the frame. They told me I should stamp the number, because the stickers eventually fall off.

I also once had a trailer that had sat in the sun too long and the VIN sticker faded to nothing. The DMV told me to steel stamp the number near the sticker.
Stamping on instruction by a government official is different than what was suggested above. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #52
30Ford

Same S... here in Canada Just went to a different DMV and not a problem
30Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #53
bobpo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
FWIW:

I went to DMV exactly one week sago and calmly sat eye to eye with a DMV Supervisor lady.

After this meeting last week, I knew my long awaited title was coming soon.

Received my March 1930 Coupe Registration Certificate today in the mail.

The extremely alert, brilliant, nice, lovely, affectionate, wonderful, beautiful, intelligent, compassionate DMV lady called to tell me my title will be coming shortly in a few days.

The official Date of title transfer indicated: December 30, 1984 ..... 31 years ago.

Purchase Price On Registration: $25.00

Long and very complicated title story ...... this March 1930 Coupe has been in my possession since February 1958 ..... 57 years.

DMV 101: Never give up no matter what happens.
First of all, are you sure that was a "lady" ? Today you can't be sure at all.....!
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #54
bobpo1

When I was in the Homicide Squad, the Auto Squad was next door and they used a chemical (don't know the name), that lifts the stamped numbers after they've been ground off. It picks up on the compressed metal below the surface. They can do the same thing with ground-off serial numbers on firearms. I've seen it done and it is impressive. Check with a PD that has an Auto Squad.
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #55
H. L. Chauvin

Hi,

I agree with the caution warnings implied in Wayne's reply no. 51 and others he entered above about concerns and risks with casually stamping frames with "any" valid or invalid motor numbers whether made up, or even officially indicated on one's legal title.

Today, vin numbers, gun registration numbers, etc., etc., are being shared in different data bases by state officials, federal officials, & local officials.

If and when OMV/DMV officials instruct owners to or gives permission to "stamp" registration/title numbers on vehicles, they do so "after" a person's title number is unique, has been cleared by them, and no other such number pops up in their data base.

One can only imagine what happens if and when a "NEW" number appears in "any" data base indicating that two (2) people share the same vehicle registration number, gun registration number, social security number, or "WOW" an income tax Federal I.D. number.

Pawn shops now have had gun numbers for years ..... a friend had his gun stolen over 25 years ago .... it showed up in a pawn shop 25 years later miles away and it was reported to Federal Officials .... the guy who brought it in, we hear was later handcuffed, and was gasping for air in the middle of a pile of deep do-do.

If one wants to read his Model A magazines behind bars, just buy some stencils and open a new shady business entitled: "Joe's Vehicle Vin Number Stamping and Title Shop."
Old 07-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #56
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpo1 View Post
When I was in the Homicide Squad, the Auto Squad was next door and they used a chemical (don't know the name), that lifts the stamped numbers after they've been ground off. It picks up on the compressed metal below the surface. They can do the same thing with ground-off serial numbers on firearms. I've seen it done and it is impressive. Check with a PD that has an Auto Squad.
Never thought of this, good idea worth a try.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #57
H. L. Chauvin

This compressed metal numerical verification method mentioned in reply #54 has been around for at least over 25 years ..... not all local Government agencies have had this numerical identification capability in the past ....... have no idea if locals have it at present .... just heard it can work in "some" situations.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:58 PM   #58
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Anyone ever heard of a model A'er getting busted for stamping his own numbers, or is it just that no one would ever do that?
Old 07-03-2015, 01:36 AM   #59
leakers

If it were me I would take it back to Washington, I am 7000 miles away in New Zealand, but from memory Dayton, OR is only about an hour from Vancouver Washington. If you have to have a confirmed address there, surely you must know someone who can get the title sorted in Washington with suitable paperwork and a title listing the visible numbers.
Then you can "buy" it from that person with a title and a bill of Sale!!
Or you can just keep it stored until October and I will give you $500 bucks for the , vin less , title less , useless, un registerable, uninsureable piece of junk!
I need a few fillers for the containers I am sending home to NZ.
leakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:14 AM   #60
30ccpickup

So what many of you are saying, with a title and a matching engine, it would be easy to steal and plate a Model A and claim it as your own. You just need a set of stamps, an unknowing to vintage car cop and a ditsy young lady at the DMV.

No wonder we have posts "Car was stolen"

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote