Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2021, 08:19 AM   #21
miniceptor86

Default Re: Anyone else heard or know?

There is also a lot of research and near feasibility of synthetic fuels. It’s very important to aviation to have the energy density of hydrocarbons. Companies like Prometheus are on the verge of commercially viable systems that pull CO2 from the atmosphere and combine it with Hydrogen to produce alcohols which can be combined into synthetic fuels. Energy inputs are sourced from renewable wind and solar electric.
miniceptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #22
1952henry

Also a bit curious about what is happening to the "spent" fiberglass turbine blades. They have a finite life.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:54 AM   #23
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
Also a bit curious about what is happening to the "spent" fiberglass turbine blades. They have a finite life.
Gotta be SOMEPLACE they could be sent. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:56 AM   #24
1952henry

There you go, patch panels for electric vettes.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:07 AM   #25
Terry,OH

1952henry: Main 100 A. service panel? Two chargers NO way not even one charger!

I believe (I have not installed one or looked at Spec. The Spec. are most likely on the web) the QUICK charge rate is near 60. A for one charger on 220V (according to the MT article on chargers).

I am not a EV battery charger expert! Best to look on the web there MAY BE one charger that can be used to simultaneously charge two batteries OR One charger can be used to charge two cars at different times. I'm sure as time goes on, the chargers will evolve to make charging multiple cars on one charger easy. Do not look for the chargers to use less current!
CORRECTION: In looking at the Spec. for the residential "EVOcharge" max. current is 40A at 240V not the 60 as cited above.

Adding a 40A circuit to a "in service" 100A box would depend upon the loading already in the box. An electrician would be needed to say yes or no but chances are not good!

Last edited by Terry,OH; 12-13-2021 at 08:22 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:21 AM   #26
tubman

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Look on the bright side; all of those big-time oil producers will have no place to sell their product. Gas will be 23.9 a gallon again.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:40 AM   #27
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Look on the bright side; all of those big-time oil producers will have no place to sell their product. Gas will be 23.9 a gallon again.
Rime of the Ancient Mariner - "Water, water, everywhere and NOT a drop to drink!"
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:47 AM   #28
deuce_roadster

Interesting picture Dick thanks, All the C2s were wrecked in the front but not the C1s!
At least those body parts won't rust away!!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:12 PM   #29
Darrell S

image001 electric.jpg
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #30
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
I am wondering where ALL the raw materials for ALL these batteries going to come from? Especially what are considered "precious" raw materials which most come from NOT friendly sources.....What environmentally sensitive areas will NOW be mined to supply this demand?? Fattening frogs to feed snakes?? ALSO its funny how the EV charge (no pun intended) is being led by the environmentalist YET these "FAST" charging stations NEED a large capacity A/C cooling system to cool the batteries and charging units as they charge SO how much more "Freon" will be needed for ALL these new public "fast" charging systems and what will be released into the atmosphere?? AND then ALL of the toxic waste from all the mining, manufacturing and especially the disposal of all the NON reusable materials used. NOT even started on the amount of Electricity that will be needed as tens of millions of people get home everyday and plug their cars in to charge everyday, think of that load demand on the power grid!!!! Sounds like an environmental disaster to me!

"Fattening Frogs To Feed Snakes"! I like that! Somehow, it makes it all seem 'sinister', which all of this IS! Worst of all, this planet and it's surviving populace 25 years down the road won't even be recognizable to any sane person living in The US today. The US has become so environmentally 'clean' today (as compared to 60 years ago) that it would have been hard to imagine back then. And as clean as we have become here, you must remember that we US folks are but a TINY percentage of the worldwide polluters. As 'clean & friendly' as the US has become now-a-days, we could become a full 100% 'clean' and non-polluting, and the planet as a whole is still screwed!

When you have big, gi-hugic "C" places and "I" places (only a couple of examples) that still don't give a rat's ass about what they pollute, and that many of their promised and negotiated "clean-up" programs don't begin until about 2050, us measly 330M folks here in the US going completely clean STILL can't begin to clean-up the earth, and NOW y'all wanna begin this EV thing in earnest?

Jeez....there must be three or four other folks out there that can do this relatively simple math. I surely ain't the 'brainiest' one thinking about this. So, there MUST be some other reason that the "environmentalists" keep pushing this lunacy. I mean folks ....we're talking TRILLION$ upon trillions of dollars worth of new economy starting-out here on the ground floor. Simply start following even SOME of that money. There are obviously a lot of folks in high places that can be easily remunerated/persuaded to skew things in a certain direction. Many of you have heard me ranting more than once about big business and their infatuation with the 'hereafter'. You can't EVER lose sight of the fact that it is ONLY our money that they are HERE AFTER.

Another thing to consider, especially now that it has become clear that Elon plans to build plants in India & China where I'm pretty sure he hopes (plans) to sell gazillions of electric cars. Both countries have a combined total of roughly 2.7BILLION people. Lots of potential car sales there...AND re-charging of batteries. And where the false environmental impact comes in is that BOTH countries have extremely high-emission power grids that are highly dependent on coal. It IS gonna pollute significantly to charge all of those lithium battery packs, day after day, after day, and on and on! There are NO FREE lunches. But SOMEONE(s) is makin' some dough, yeah baby!

I still have a hard time trying to imagine how that great big, beautiful state way over there by the Pacific Ocean is going to manage to re-charge all those millions and millions of ADDITIONAL batteries every evening, when even today WITHOUT that extra load, you can't be sure that there will even be electricity available at all to power your refrigerators and TV sets at any given moment.

Today, the majority of lithium is extracted via ore mining or salt deserts. Australia, Argentina, China & Chile hold the largest reserves of lithium worldwide. Rant over! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #31
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
I am wondering where ALL the raw materials for ALL these batteries going to come from? Especially what are considered "precious" raw materials which most come from NOT friendly sources.....What environmentally sensitive areas will NOW be mined to supply this demand?? Fattening frogs to feed snakes?? ALSO its funny how the EV charge (no pun intended) is being led by the environmentalist YET these "FAST" charging stations NEED a large capacity A/C cooling system to cool the batteries and charging units as they charge SO how much more "Freon" will be needed for ALL these new public "fast" charging systems and what will be released into the atmosphere?? AND then ALL of the toxic waste from all the mining, manufacturing and especially the disposal of all the NON reusable materials used. NOT even started on the amount of Electricity that will be needed as tens of millions of people get home everyday and plug their cars in to charge everyday, think of that load demand on the power grid!!!! Sounds like an environmental disaster to me!!! Anyone have a spare bottle of "Colonel Harvey's Elixir" they could spare, I need some?

Right On!
Ramblin Reck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #32
rockfla

Two big thumbs up V8Coopman & Ramblin' Reck!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:09 PM   #33
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Feel free to build your own refinery and charge $0.23 a gallon. I will be there every week with a tanker
Old 12-08-2021, 04:16 PM   #34
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
"Fattening Frogs To Feed Snakes"! I like that! Somehow, it makes it all seem 'sinister', which all of this IS! Worst of all, this planet and it's surviving populace 25 years down the road won't even be recognizable to any sane person living in The US today. The US has become so environmentally 'clean' today (as compared to 60 years ago) that it would have been hard to imagine back then. And as clean as we have become here, you must remember that we US folks are but a TINY percentage of the worldwide polluters. As 'clean & friendly' as the US has become now-a-days, we could become a full 100% 'clean' and non-polluting, and the planet as a whole is still screwed!

When you have big, gi-hugic "C" places and "I" places (only a couple of examples) that still don't give a rat's ass about what they pollute, and that many of their promised and negotiated "clean-up" programs don't begin until about 2050, us measly 330M folks here in the US going completely clean STILL can't begin to clean-up the earth, and NOW y'all wanna begin this EV thing in earnest?

Jeez....there must be three or four other folks out there that can do this relatively simple math. I surely ain't the 'brainiest' one thinking about this. So, there MUST be some other reason that the "environmentalists" keep pushing this lunacy. I mean folks ....we're talking TRILLION$ upon trillions of dollars worth of new economy starting-out here on the ground floor. Simply start following even SOME of that money. There are obviously a lot of folks in high places that can be easily remunerated/persuaded to skew things in a certain direction. Many of you have heard me ranting more than once about big business and their infatuation with the 'hereafter'. You can't EVER lose sight of the fact that it is ONLY our money that they are HERE AFTER.

Another thing to consider, especially now that it has become clear that Elon plans to build plants in India & China where I'm pretty sure he hopes (plans) to sell gazillions of electric cars. Both countries have a combined total of roughly 2.7BILLION people. Lots of potential car sales there...AND re-charging of batteries. And where the false environmental impact comes in is that BOTH countries have extremely high-emission power grids that are highly dependent on coal. It IS gonna pollute significantly to charge all of those lithium battery packs, day after day, after day, and on and on! There are NO FREE lunches. But SOMEONE(s) is makin' some dough, yeah baby!

I still have a hard time trying to imagine how that great big, beautiful state way over there by the Pacific Ocean is going to manage to re-charge all those millions and millions of ADDITIONAL batteries every evening, when even today WITHOUT that extra load, you can't be sure that there will even be electricity available at all to power your refrigerators and TV sets at any given moment.

Today, the majority of lithium is extracted via ore mining or salt deserts. Australia, Argentina, China & Chile hold the largest reserves of lithium worldwide. Rant over! DD

By-products of coal fired plants are the fly ash, which is used in concrete bridges in areas with cold winters. Allows a bit of flexibility, for lack of a better word, in building bridges back better. The cinders, or bottom ash is used for road surfaces in winter, and for blasting material for rust removal. We use it under tubs of draglines so they don't freeze to the bench, and for traction for coal trucks to get out of pit when ramps are crappy.

Funny, we can't up oil production in the US and put people to work, but can beg foreign countries to up production to bring gas prices down. Guess foreign oil doesn't f' up the climate.

Poster at Falkirk mine, which feeds 8 million ton of coal to the Coal Creek Station gives a date when straight temp was -30 and no wind. Wind towers-0 megawatts, Coal Creek Station-1100 megawatts. All of that power goes to minnesota. One year of emissions from Coal Creek is equal to ONE DAY of rush hour traffic emissions in LA LA Land.

Last edited by 1952henry; 12-08-2021 at 04:29 PM.
1952henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:00 PM   #35
DavidG

I understand that it takes eight years before one of the current electric vehicles becomes carbon neutral (lots of it generated along the way in its creation). For many that will about the time that the batteries need to be replaced, sending the carbon neutral date further out on the horizon. Just like the silence concerning all the incremental electricity that will have to be generated (mostly after dark when all the solar panel fields are in neutral, wind farms are off their peak with the nightly fall off of wind speeds, and people are most likely to charge their batteries), the advocates don't want to hear the details of those vehicles' creation, the materials involved, and where those materials come from.

Maybe there will be a real breakthrough regarding serious batteries to store solar and wind-generated power in massive amounts, but it is not on the horizon just yet.

Ford and no doubt others spent some serious effort and resources on hydrogen as a power source, but as with quantum electricity storage, the technology is not there yet and at least some of those efforts have been abandoned.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #36
russcc

No worry about charging, a friend recently saw an EV charging station being powered by a Cat Diesel generator. So far most the charging stations I have seen are just taking up parking space with nobody in them. Interesting point about Hertz, I had read about the 100,000. EV order in a recent book titled "Power Play", it's about the history of Tesla. The author's facts may have been out of date.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:23 PM   #37
Lawrie

Some one needs to put their mind to work for a sticker(decal) for the back of our cars. like our model A,33 and 34. some thing along the lines of '93 years of carbon credits', or the like.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:28 PM   #38
rich b

Read an interesting article about "smart" charger system" that balance the load between multiple vehicle charging and electric needs of rest the building. Since most charging is done at night all the vehicles don't actually need to be charging at the same time. Said some systems are successively in use already.

Tree huggers want fossil fuel cars gone on one hand and but are trying to block nickel and rare earth mining in the US. Must be OK in the third world tho. Makes sense, right.

I wonder where vehicles for the poor people (like me) that buy and drive 10-15 year old trucks and cars will come from; kinda think those electric cars will be all et by that age.

One of my kids bought a Tesla; kinda interesting in him telling about planning trips around range and charging, phone apps to locate chargers, and all kind of modernistical stuff. I have to admit he get around all over CA with no grief.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:58 PM   #39
cas3

Great discussion here guys. Now for fun, my neighbor has a good friend who bought a Tesla a couple years ago. He called and begged , "come see my new Tesla". He gets on his phone to have the car back out of the garage, then , they go out for a drive, check out the auto pilot and all the other modern crap, bla, bla, bla. Once back home, he gets all the wives and kids out in the front yard to see the grand finale. He plays with his phone for a minute, then all the lights come on, the gullwing doors open, the stereo starts playing some symphony at full volume and then the doors flap and light flash to the beat of the music! The owner, big grin like a kid with a new video game. Me ? my first thought was I hope they fired the guy who spent all that time to program that into the compuer
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:18 PM   #40
expavr

I just read an article about the new Ford F-150 EV pickup called the”Lightning”. Ford has received 200,000 pre orders already and has stopped taking more orders until it actually goes into production Spring 2022. Depending on how the trucks are tricked out the price ranges from $40,000 to $90,000. It sounds like Ford is seriously betting on the future of EV pickups and there are enough buyers in that market to justify product design and investment.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote