Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #81
KULTULZ

Question Re: California pcv ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

OEM Holley List #1273 carburetor for a '57 Bird?

I have two or three, one is on the '57 intake on the engine in my '55 Bird. It sits on a 1/2 inch thick Bakelite spacer.

The height of a Holley 1273 from the bottom of the base plate to the air cleaner flange is 3 & 1/4 inches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick brophy View Post

OK, just got a huge bit of help from a neighbor who runs a machine shop who just happened to stop in this morning.

I was in the process of measuring the height of the base plate to the air cleaner flange.

As I was explaining the height issue, I showed him the by now, three air cleaners that do not work.

As we were talking he said that there was a rather deep flange on the under side of the third base plate that I had bought.That was the one that was supposed lower the air cleaner several inches.It did but that was not enough.

He said that the flange was almost 3/4 of an inch and he could machine 1/2 of an inch off and the flange would still have the stiffness needed.

He took the base and called be a short time later to pick it up.
I have and it worked out great.It was a little close in the rear with the throttle linkage, but it clears.

The next time I call for parts at Hill's Auto, I am going to pick their brains as to the difference ,if there is any,in the 3 years 55,56 and 57. At some point I would like to get the correct air cleaner, as it does brighten up the engine bay. But this will do for now.

My carb also measures 3 1/4 to the air cleaner flange.
... hmmph ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:06 PM   #82
KULTULZ

Post Re: California pcv ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

A '57 C or D code air cleaner uses a circular dry pleated element. The lower half of the filter housing may or may not have 3 bumps around the middle. The bumps keep carb vacuum from sucking the lid downward too far and choking off the air flow.

I don't know if this was a running change to their production or something else???
I think the dimples were left off the repros -

https://www.ctci.org/1957-reproducti...ntial-problem/

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)