Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2021, 08:59 AM   #1
whirnot

Default Oil interval

I promise, this is not a question of what kinda be of oil to use!🤬🤬

But Ford recommended that the oil be changed and the chassis be lubed every 500 miles. With today's higher quality oils I am curious if some have increased that, and by how much.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:23 AM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Oil interval

There has been almost as much discussion on this as what oil to use. You'll get a lot of opinions.
I go about a thousand or once a year.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:27 AM   #3
Bob Bidonde

Modern motor oils are light years ahead in technology than the motor oils Ford recommended for the Model "A". My practice is to change the motor oil once per year regardless of the mileage accumulated, and I have been doing this since 1962. There are no oil filters on my Model A's.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:31 AM   #4
Ed in Maine

I do what Patrick L does. My car does sit for six months in Florida when I go back to Maine. I usually change the oil just before I leave, start the car and run for five minutes and then shut down letting the carburetor drain out. During a tour season I drive about 1500 miles. For such a short distance I don't think a filter is necessary. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:45 AM   #5
WHN

I agree that oil has changed in the last 90 years. The items that need grease haven’t. I change oil once a year, but grease everything every 250 miles. Cheap insurance. I take car to local repair shop for grease job on car lift. Check everything on underside each time.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:36 AM   #6
Bob Bidonde

Grease has also made major advancements in technology since the Model A was new. In the 1930s through the 1950s, grease was a soap made of principally of animal fats. I still remember the smell of rancid grease.

Today we have lithium, molybdenum, silicone and synthetic greases far better than anything the Model A was exposed to before the 1960s. Modern grease suitable for wheel bearings has synthetic contents which greatly inhibits wear, withstands high temperatures and has durability that lasts for years.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #7
jayvee34

All of the above, me too!!!
Old 05-12-2021, 11:05 AM   #8
JKY

I change it between 500 and 600 miles. Not that the oil is worn out, just because, without a filter or air cleaner (don't run one), I think it's dirty and I don't want that dirt in my engine.

Modern oil is great stuff, with a filter and air cleaner I could go a lot longer.
JKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:36 AM   #9
McMimmcs

Just about the same as asking what kind of oil and do you like whitewalls. If you search it’s been beaten to death. Do a search.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:45 AM   #10
whirnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
Just about the same as asking what kind of oil and do you like whitewalls. If you search it’s been beaten to death. Do a search.
Search is not always available. Mobile devices can't search, and thanks for your input.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:06 PM   #11
GerryAllen

From April through October I put on about 800- 1000 miles a month depending on weather. I find the concrete is getting harder and since retirement I have less time so have upped my mileage between changes. I can see the discussion from both perspectives, oil improvement since the 30's, yet still no air filter / oil filter.
I have made the conscientious decision to change my oil close to 1000 miles. If I have time at 800-900 miles I will change it, I have gone 1050 miles between changes.
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:24 PM   #12
Model A Ron

I use Rotella T6 15w40 with a NAPA Gold 1515 filter once every 3000 miles or once per year. Grease every 500 miles......Grease job is much easier with an antique grease gun and a car lift.

You can also extend this a little bit if you have Whitewalls
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:33 PM   #13
Gene F

Ron, on my modern cars if I do the change myself (sometimes I take the car to the dealership for various reasons) I use NAPA Gold oil filters too. If you could see the inside of so called name brand oil filters it would amaze you! NAPA Gold are GOOD ! I don't want a few dollars saved, I want no issues to deal with.

I change my A's oil at least annually. I average about 600 miles per year. New engine right now, so this year will likely get 2 extra oil changes.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:54 PM   #14
Synchro909

On a well run in motor, and running a full flow filter (as I do on all of my cars) and doing short runs, I change at 1000-1500 miles with the cheapest modern oil that is on special. On long trips, I go to about 3,500 miles when the oil pressure at a given speed and temperature starts to drop.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:27 PM   #15
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Ron, on my modern cars if I do the change myself (sometimes I take the car to the dealership for various reasons) I use NAPA Gold oil filters too. If you could see the inside of so called name brand oil filters it would amaze you! NAPA Gold are GOOD ! I don't want a few dollars saved, I want no issues to deal with.

I change my A's oil at least annually. I average about 600 miles per year. New engine right now, so this year will likely get 2 extra oil changes.
I think its a good idea to do it annually regardless of low miles and I agree with you regarding Napa Gold filters. I changed mine over to synthetic T6 15w40 Rotella. It was running T4 the non synthetic prior. As long as it stays clean 3000 should be fine due to the full flow oil filter. Just under 1000 now and it still looks clean.

Ron

Last edited by Model A Ron; 05-12-2021 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:24 PM   #16
Model A Ron

Some people also put up to 20% Marvel Mystery Oil in the engine to help clean it out.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:53 AM   #17
evildevil

I change every 800 miles, when using NAPA filters and high-quality oil, before the trip I check everything for oil leaks. Here you can see the best oils for cars Oil for Ford 3.5 EcoBoost I usually use Mobile 1 because this brand has proven itself over the years and has a proven track record of quality.

Last edited by evildevil; 06-09-2021 at 02:21 PM.
evildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:03 AM   #18
rfitzpatrick

"The Company Follows The Book -- I Follow The Book." B-757 Captain said when I asked he pull power at the gate so that could check a fuel filter just installed.
We took the delay --

I change at 500 miles
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:36 AM   #19
rotorwrench

As a comparison, the Lycoming aircraft engine service recommendations are to change the oil and check the screens every 25-hours. If a spin on filter is installed, the interval can be increased to 50-hours. The last part of the schedule for oil change is by date time. Lycoming recommends to change the engine oil ever 4-months no matter how many hours have been accrued. These are recommendations by service bulletin that will reduce the manufacturer of culpability if there is an oil related engine problem in service.

The reasoning for the interval that Ford set was due to the lack of filtration. The mineral based motor oils haven't changed all that much in the past 90+years. The additives are the greatest change and they only form a small amount of the make up of the oil. If anything, the addition of polymer plastics to allow for multi-viscosity have set a pretty even limit on the longevity due to wear of those polymers in service.

The use of synthetic or semi-synthetic oils is the big change but the cost of these oils is higher and the lack of good filtration systems doesn't really change the replacement interval. A carbureted internal combustion engine with limited filtration is going to generate a fair amount of carbonatious deposits as well as dirt from limited air intake filtration. The addition of good oil and air filtration would increase the interval by a fair amount but these aren't the modern fuel injected engines we deal with in the modern era.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:43 AM   #20
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I promise, this is not a question of what kinda be of oil to use!����

But Ford recommended that the oil be changed and the chassis be lubed every 500 miles. With today's higher quality oils I am curious if some have increased that, and by how much.
This has to be post 1001 on this subject! Grab a six pack and read previous posts all afternoon.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote