Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2021, 10:10 PM   #1
700rpm

Default "Value" is a movng target

The value of a Model A is often discussed here, but of late I have noticed there are more cars of fair to excellent quality showing up for prices that are very tempting relative to five or even three years ago. I attribute this in part to people aging out of the hobby, and perhaps a willingness by heirs to just settle the estate. But attendant to this there is also an increase in comments here in the Barn stating, in essence "...I just inherited this...or, "I just got this and never had one before..." which signifies a rising interest in a new generation.

I wonder if we have moved into an era of renewed interest (not just us old guys) combined and ccoinciding with an adjustment in pricing. For example, I have seen locally A400s in the $30-$40,000 range, when you couldn’t touch one for less than &50,000 five years ago. Victorias are likewise off about 10%. I know, I know, condition is everything, and always a factor. But it is also true that once a car is restored it is usually well maintained.

Just wondering...l

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 05-15-2021 at 10:19 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:24 PM   #2
PalAl

Default Re: "Value" is a movng target

I have had the same thoughts.......... I would like to know the SOLD price that was agreed upon for these cars with the asking price of $30 to $40 K. Remember we all start high and bargin down. I just hope the younger generation takes an interest in these cars. Seems they all prefer the rice burners over the 20's to 70's cars that we know so well. Interest in old radios, telephones, juke boxes etc. has also been on the decline. The young generation has no memories of thise things and also no interest. Most could not "dial" a telephone! Sad, good memories for us old farts.
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:45 AM   #3
ronn

I attribute the drop in prices to the lack of interest and dying off.

agreed you couldnt hardly get a running a400 a few yrs back for 25k. today it is quite probable. But the same can be said about the whole car hobby in general. Rare brass cars that were once bringing close to 500k arent able to get 250k today. happened quickly.
It is making me want to get rid of some of my more basic styled cars for some rarer ones, but Im not finding a mkt unless I want to give them away. Hot rodders may be the only thing holding up the bottom.........
guys frequently quote coupes on here at say 3k, when a rodder will pay 5k all day long, so you can see where the mkt is really going.
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:52 AM   #4
nkaminar

If you log onto ebay you can see the sold price for cars which are usually quite different than the asking or starting price. The ones that sell are usually the cars that are in very good shape and not the junkers.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:44 AM   #5
ronn

funny nk, because this yr I disposed of about 4 "junkers" and nothing over 10k. I attribute to the disease of "lackafunds".
I am finding people wanting the 3-4k projects- just to have some fun!
Old 05-15-2021, 08:11 AM   #6
Bob Bidonde

I could care less about what my Model A's are worth except to be sure they are adequately insured for their replacement values. It has been my experience that the cost of restoring Model A's exceeds their market values, so to me owning Model A's is a passion not an investment.

My first Model A is a Coupe, the second most produced Model A, and in 1962 it cost $300 to buy. Today my Coupe has many times its purchase price invested in it, my guess is +$20K, but the adventures I have had driving it 50,000 miles are priceless.

For many any years I lusted for a Victoria, and finally through the thoughtfulness of my best friend, I bought one. Its restoration cost exceeded $65k!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bidonde's Coupe w 19 Inch Wheels 453kb.jpg (73.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-15-2021, 08:23 AM   #7
Gene F

Nice coupe Bob.

I agree with Bob. The only reason I consider value is for insurance purposes.

I always wanted a jukebox, but my wife resists the idea like crazy. I have a Edison slate record player, but it's covered with knick-knacks...
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:24 AM   #8
ronn

But Bob, consider- you are not the norm. Many young people want to get in but have a Piels real draft budget.

how many on this board have the means to spend 65k on an A? I would guess only a handful that would even consider it if they could.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:26 AM   #9
ronn

Re: "Value" is a movng target
Nice coupe Bob.

I agree with Bob. The only reason I consider value is for insurance purposes.

and your kids, when you are gone?????????
everyone has a day when they need to sell- so this isnt about an individual as much as it is about an observation of todays mkt.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:26 AM   #10
Chris in WNC

When we bought back our Town Sedan last year, the price was higher than we received for it in 2013.
But we stepped up to the plate and paid, because it was our favorite Model A (and a mostly known quantity).
Most of that bump was the fact that the interim owner had given it a unnecessary (my opinion) paint job including interior woodgraining.
He made a few other minor upgrades which I like.
Shortly before and since last year's purchase, I have found most s/w Town Sedans that appear to be in similar condition priced up there with the amount we paid.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:28 AM   #11
nkaminar

It was hard for me to spend the amount of money I had to for a 1930 Fordor while remembering that I spent $150 for a 1930 Tudor in 1968. The car was in fantastic shape, original in all respects and un restored, but not requiring any work. It was on the side of the road with a for sale sign. But those days are gone. I cannot even find a good Yugo for sale today.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:42 PM   #12
TomIII

Isn't "good Yugo" an oxymoron????
TomIII is offline   Reply With Quote