Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2021, 09:24 PM   #41
Mikeinnj

Default Re: Changing of the Guard

The future "Guard" is really in for a big change what with tree huggers proposing things such as :

A California city just banned all new gas stations in zero-emissions push.
The City of Petaluma Ca. won't let any companies build a new gas station from here on out.They want existing stations to install EV charging stations.

The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection said the state will need to phase out the internal-combustion engine by 2035 to meet its climate goals. More EVs needed in NJ. And in just five more years, 100% of all new cars need to produce zero emissions. ...

Perhaps the next phase will be to eliminate all internal combustion vehicles including antique and collector cars.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:02 PM   #42
alexiskai

Of all the shortages to be possibly worried about, gasoline is the most ridiculous. There will be a market for gasoline for marine, aviation, agricultural, and backup power usages for decades to come. No country in the world has even managed to pass a ban on sales of new diesel vehicles, let alone a ban on the use of antique and collector vehicles – most of which are already exempt from emissions tests.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:03 PM   #43
GerryAllen

Guys & Gals, I don't have a Crystal Ball. My comment is, lets get out and drive our cars, enjoy them as much as we do and hopefully we can spark an interest with next generation.
Lets not over think future problems. JMHO
Gerry Birch Bay WA
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:11 PM   #44
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryAllen View Post
Guys & Gals, I don't have a Crystal Ball. My comment is, lets get out and drive our cars, enjoy them as much as we do and hopefully we can spark an interest with next generation.
Lets not over think future problems. JMHO
Gerry Birch Bay WA
A very intelligent suggestion. Beats hell out of sitting on your ass worrying about tomorrow !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:45 PM   #45
Slowmotoring

This discussion has me wondering. How many of you actually drive your cars? I dont mean just parades or once a month to go get ice cream. Im talking about actually taking the car out and going for a sunday cruise just for the fun of it, or after dinner on those nice summer days. Ya know, a few thousand miles a year or even more. I have to think that getting these cars out more for the younger generations to see and enjoy would spark interest, and if you know of a youngster bring them for a ride! Not every kid is going to turn into a car guy, but very few kids will turn into car guys if they dont have any exposure. I think younger generations will be more likely to get involved too if they see them out driving around and dont think of them as just some old car thats too old to use and has to sit in the garage because its to precious to take out. Im not saying all of us driving our a’s will solve the issues facing the future of our hobby, but showing as many people young and old how much fun these cars can be will certainly help.
Slowmotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:31 PM   #46
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
A California city just banned all new gas stations in zero-emissions push. The City of Petaluma Ca. won't let any companies build a new gas station from here on out.They want existing stations to install EV charging stations.
I saw that in the paper this morning. Petaluma is still within the greater SF Bay Area. Years ago that section of the state was renowned for hot tubs and peacock feather massages.

Anyone who thinks that making supply difficult will lessen demand should examine just how successful the "war on drugs" has been. Or Prohibition was...

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:51 AM   #47
DkFordor

Very interesting discussion, and probably one that will always be had regardless of the point in time

I am also one of the young guard, and can indeed recognize a lot of the points made here. My A was the daily driver of our family when I was a kid, and I learned to drive it properly when I earned my drivers license. My father has never been very technical, and at some point the car needed major overhaul. Money (and perhaps interest) was short at that point, and the car hibernated for almost 20 years as a consequence.

But having so many memories of that car, and having actually driven it, there was never a doubt in my mind that I wanted that car when the time came - which I also told him repeatedly So when the old man at some point realized he probably never would get around to tending to the A again he passed it on to me.

It is rediculously expensive to renovate it and, as some guys in my local club pointed out to me, not something that will reflect in the pricetag after renovation. But for me thats besides the point! THAT car is the point, and its not going to be sold after renovation.

Luckily, my better half finds the whole deal with the A a great idea - and for that I am grateful.

I guess the point I am getting around to is this: Drive your cars, and thereby make your kids and others interested in it. Only that way will they continue to be around as driveable cars, and not museum pieces

My personal worry? Will there continue to be skilled people around for the repairs that the average hobbyist like myself is unable to perform?

Just my eurocents - and greetings from Europe
DkFordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #48
[email protected]

If I recall correctly the antique auto hobby already dodged a political bullet some years back. Remember Cash for Clunkers.. Lots a great old cars got caught up in this.... The States wanted the dirty, polluting old cars all crushed and the politicians did not care about collector cars or their owners. At that time my state was making it extremely difficult to title newly restored cars. The state DMV workers were totally unsympathetic with any car restorer back then and we’re putting up all sorts of “road blocks” trying to prevent a restored car from getting back on the road. This sort of soured me on restoring cars from scratch without having a clear vehicle title in hand first.

Hopefully future generations and future politicians will have some love for us and the old cars....
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:20 PM   #49
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmotoring View Post
This discussion has me wondering. How many of you actually drive your cars? I dont mean just parades or once a month to go get ice cream. Im talking about actually taking the car out and going for a Sunday cruise just for the fun of it......
My wife and I, as well as some others locally DO get out and drive almost every decent week-end. A 75-100 mile round trip is not unusual but mostly we go around town, or out to other towns in the area. We put a few thousand on every year. I restored it, but it would drive me nuts to have it sit in the garage without use.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:11 PM   #50
Jordan

I have been VERY active in the Fort Worth club my entire life, and occasionally active in the Dallas club on & off for the past 13 years. I will say that in the state of Texas, we have an active young population.

The Fort Worth club alone has several young drivers (under 30) and owners. Our women know how to drive the cars. We grew about 50 memberships last year alone due to our website. We now have 303 memberships as of the February meeting. I don't think we are going anywhere. Most of the family members inherit their cars and then keep them and continue to be active.

If the national clubs want to stay active, they need to cut back on the "requirements" of a host club on the national activities which would naturally cut the costs. I am lucky I do not have children because if I did, I could not attend a MAFCA National with them due to the outrageous costs. So much is invested in judging and things of that nature. The majority of the cost goes into the minority of activities that occur at the meets. People today really want to drive and enjoy their cars when they are together. For example, I chaired the Texas Tour in 2016. We had a $45,000 budget. I co-chaired the tour for 2020 with a drastically scaled back budget due to limited activities because of COVID, and we had more tours and more things to see and the budget was under $5,000 and everyone had SO MUCH FUN. Literally, not one complaint was said.

Sometimes, simpler is better.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:45 PM   #51
Mister Moose

For all of you that drive your cars over say 500 miles per year, what insurance underwriter do you use, what are the policy restrictions if any, and what does it cost?

I'm on an antique collector policy that is reasonable at about $300 a year, but is restrictive in not allowing any kind of daily driving, just outings, meets, shows.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #52
Slowmotoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moose View Post
For all of you that drive your cars over say 500 miles per year, what insurance underwriter do you use, what are the policy restrictions if any, and what does it cost?

I'm on an antique collector policy that is reasonable at about $300 a year, but is restrictive in not allowing any kind of daily driving, just outings, meets, shows.
I use hagerty classic car. Policy says not for daily driving eg, driving to and from work/school, But does not say anywhere that only car shows and club outings are allowed. No mileage restrictions. I guess it comes down to how the policy is interpreted. If its a nice day im driving my a to work. If its raining or a good chance of rain, I’ll leave it in the garage. To me thats not daily driving. Hagerty does have at least two different kinds of policy’s, collector car and classic, classic car has Less restrictions.
Slowmotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:39 PM   #53
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I have been VERY active in the Fort Worth club my entire life, and occasionally active in the Dallas club on & off for the past 13 years. I will say that in the state of Texas, we have an active young population.

The Fort Worth club alone has several young drivers (under 30) and owners. Our women know how to drive the cars. We grew about 50 memberships last year alone due to our website. We now have 303 memberships as of the February meeting. I don't think we are going anywhere. Most of the family members inherit their cars and then keep them and continue to be active.

If the national clubs want to stay active, they need to cut back on the "requirements" of a host club on the national activities which would naturally cut the costs. I am lucky I do not have children because if I did, I could not attend a MAFCA National with them due to the outrageous costs. So much is invested in judging and things of that nature. The majority of the cost goes into the minority of activities that occur at the meets. People today really want to drive and enjoy their cars when they are together. For example, I chaired the Texas Tour in 2016. We had a $45,000 budget. I co-chaired the tour for 2020 with a drastically scaled back budget due to limited activities because of COVID, and we had more tours and more things to see and the budget was under $5,000 and everyone had SO MUCH FUN. Literally, not one complaint was said.

Sometimes, simpler is better.

Would you mind posting the URL to your club web site? I’d like to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:44 PM   #54
Ed in Maine

I enjoy the reaction of fellow motorists when I have my car on the road. Every trip out, there will be someone who stops what they are doing and watch my car go by. It is part of what I call the "Model A Experience"! One time I was at a gas station and this person pulled up on the other side of the pumps (he wasn't going to buy gas) and he leaned out the window and said "OK, you win, that is the coolest car I have ever seen". I always take a moment to give them the year and the name of the car and body style. Sometimes it leads to more questions and I always tell them how easy it is to maintain the car and how much fun it is to drive. You never can tell it may be the spark that leads to a new Model A owner. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:21 PM   #55
BrianH

I have Hagerty. Policy says no daily driver. Policy also says enjoy and drive the car.
1929 Coupe about $140 per year.
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:39 PM   #56
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moose View Post

J. C. Taylor, $175.00 per year. Agreed value. No mileage restriction.

1929 Sport Coupe, $17,500.00. I think fairly insured. Restored in 1981.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:46 PM   #57
SDJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I enjoy the reaction of fellow motorists when I have my car on the road. Every trip out, there will be someone who stops what they are doing and watch my car go by. It is part of what I call the "Model A Experience"!...

yup - pretty much this. Happens EVERY.SINGLE.TIME I drive anywhere; I see it as acting as a bit of a Model A Ambassador, and hopefully instilling some interest in them and potentially creating future owners.

There must be something about them - I've even seen young toddlers and dogs turn their head and follow me as I go by (and some of the toddlers point with a finger as well).
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote