Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
packrat6

Default roof rib install

need to replace several roof ribs in my '30 briggs fodor. getting the old ones out is no problem but.....how do you spread the mains in order to get the new ones in..........or do you cut a notch in the top of the main and just drop the new on in without spreading?
packrat6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
Ed in Maine

Default Re: roof rib install

Years ago I replaced the bows in my 1930 Murray Town Sedan. I assume the top material has been removed. The bows dropped in and they were notched to fit the side main supports. They were secured by a wood screw at each end. Perhaps someone with a Briggs body can confirm they are the same. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
packrat6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
Years ago I replaced the bows in my 1930 Murray Town Sedan. I assume the top material has been removed. The bows dropped in and they were notched to fit the side main supports. They were secured by a wood screw at each end. Perhaps someone with a Briggs body can confirm they are the same. Ed

thanks for the reply.....yes, the roof is off......but the existing ribs are fashioned as a mortise and tenon as opposed what you described. i think spreading the main rails enough to get the rib in would be a risky thing to do not knowing what effect it may result in......the alternative as far as i can see is to cut a notch on the top part of the main rail so that the new rib will drop in as you have described. ???
Old 01-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
daveymc29

Are the new ribs identical to the ones that were no problem to remove? If not I would find out why. they may be wrong ribs for your vehicle. I have done replacement on a two door that I made into s deluxe delivery. I ordered a wood set for the two door and found the ribs were two inches too short. Ordered some from another supplier and that were a bit long so I cut the ends and drilled them as I took the old ones out out. Worked for me. Mine had one small bolt and nut holding the ends to the main fore and aft side ribs.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
packrat6

the new ribs are the correct size/length. the problem is the mortise/tenon joint. there is no way to get them in other than 1) spread the main rails enough to get new piece in or 2) cut a slot in the top of the main rail so the new piece can drop in place. I am fearful of spreading the main rails as I do not know what damage could be caused. otherwise, I cut the top slot in the main. just wondering if I am missing some other alternative.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #6
Super88

Yours is evidently much different from my 30 Tudor, but wondering if you can remove one of the side rails to allow you to slip the ribs in place then reattached the side rail?
Super88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:31 PM   #7
daveymc29

How were they put in originally? I have a friend that built all the wood for his Murray town sedan and when everything fit he then nailed the sheet metal onto the wood body skeleton as was done during original construction. Lots of work to get to that point as the sheet metal is the last thing to go onto the outside of the wood frame. That car drove to Sparks with me this last summer and is as sound as the day he finished the restoration. He and his father built all the wood from scratch using what he took off as the pattern.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:40 PM   #8
Bob Johnson

Cut a slot in the middle of the rib from the top left yo right about 2 inches long and 1/4" wide. Cut the rib in half in the middle of the slot. Install the 2 halves and use a 1/4" wide piece of wood to secure the 2 pieces together. Glue with wood glue.

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:44 AM   #9
RandyinUtah

Top bows on my 30 Murray were not mortised but dropped into a slot milled into the side rail held with one wood screw.
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:54 PM   #10
packrat6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnson View Post
Cut a slot in the middle of the rib from the top left yo right about 2 inches long and 1/4" wide. Cut the rib in half in the middle of the slot. Install the 2 halves and use a 1/4" wide piece of wood to secure the 2 pieces together. Glue with wood glue.

Bob
that would solve the issue, but will it support the long term pressure of the roof fabric?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:31 PM   #11
grantsauder

I have just installed the roof rails and top on my 30 Tudor. Close up PICTURES of the side rail and end of the new roof rail would be a great help to all of us to help solve your problem, Grant
grantsauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:14 PM   #12
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyinUtah View Post
Top bows on my 30 Murray were not mortised but dropped into a slot milled into the side rail held with one wood screw.
My '30 briggs was the same.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:57 PM   #13
Super88

Yes, photos would be a major help.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #14
jhowes

One last thought from someone that doesn't know much, why not cut the slot in the top of just one side rail and put the mortised end in the untouched side and drop the other side into the newly cut slot. Should be strong enough and easier than slotting both sides. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #15
Super88

Found this website with photos of wood installation where the roof ribs use a mortise and tenon. It appears the ribs and side supports are a separate sub assembly from the body wood. Not knowing how finished or unfinished your car is, can you access the fasteners that attach the rib assembly and remove it?
https://www.fordmodela.com/restorati...-wood-fitting/