Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2015, 09:41 PM   #21
Binx

Default Re: High compression question.

I have a cheapo compression gauges that reads high. I mean, "astound your friends" high. I've demoralized my son showing him my '93 Tercel 4-banger has higher compression than his 300hp Nissan.

I never lend it out.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #22
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
I thinks its 300 horse power , first time i have ever heard about 300 HP with out a blower. Theres a couple threads on the hamb board about Ken and this engine . They have done a ton of camshaft work etc...
You are right. It is over 300. And that is on gas although NOS was mentioned.. All you have to do is the math.
There are formulas you can find on the internet that you can plug various parameters into and find horsepower required to go so fast in a car with a certain drag coeffecient and traction.
If you don't know certain parameters, there are"help"
features that you can guestimate with and come pretty close.

Oh, and in the HAMB thread of 3 years ago or so, he showed a picture of the supposed cam he was running and I made comment that it was a roller. He said it was a flat lifter grind. He either got his pictures mixed up or he was lying. The picture was of a roller cam.

Aside from that, 300 hp is quite possible (definitely not cheap) with either a flat lifter or roller cam.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #23
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
You are right. It is over 300. And that is on gas although NOS was mentioned.. All you have to do is the math.
There are formulas you can find on the internet that you can plug various parameters into and find horsepower required to go so fast in a car with a certain drag coeffecient and traction.
If you don't know certain parameters, there are"help"
features that you can guestimate with and come pretty close.

Oh, and in the HAMB thread of 3 years ago or so, he showed a picture of the supposed cam he was running and I made comment that it was a roller. He said it was a flat lifter grind. He either got his pictures mixed up or he was lying. The picture was of a roller cam.

Aside from that, 300 hp is quite possible (definitely not cheap) with either a flat lifter or roller cam.
Somewhere in the discussion there was mention of a "nascar horse shoe " lifter , any idea what thats all about???
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #24
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Somewhere in the discussion there was mention of a "nascar horse shoe " lifter , any idea what thats all about???
Probably a pair of lifters connected by a bar similar to how several manufacturers used to make OHV lifters. This was another way of "keying" lifters so they did not rotate.
Not a good way to do it engineeringwise.
The assembly when laid out on a table looked similar to a horseshoe.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:56 AM   #25
JWL
Member Emeritus

The horse-shoe roller lifter, or at least what we called "horseshoe lifter" was popularized by Racer Brown many years ago. It does not use a connecting bar to hold the lifers but rather the sides of the lifter body extend slightly beyond/below the diameter of the cam follower and become the guides to maintain the lifter in line with the lobe, by using the lobe as the central point. Of course a failed valve or spring causes a problem. But then that is a problem no matter which or what style lifter is in use.

Unblown and without "power adders" such as Nitrous or chemical fuel enhancements or valve layout changes, 300 HP is far removed from reality. And, I do not care how much is spent.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #26
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
The horse-shoe roller lifter, or at least what we called "horseshoe lifter" was popularized by Racer Brown many years ago. It does not use a connecting bar to hold the lifers but rather the sides of the lifter body extend slightly beyond/below the diameter of the cam follower and become the guides to maintain the lifter in line with the lobe, by using the lobe as the central point. Of course a failed valve or spring causes a problem. But then that is a problem no matter which or what style lifter is in use.

Unblown and without "power adders" such as Nitrous or chemical fuel enhancements or valve layout changes, 300 HP is far removed from reality. And, I do not care how much is spent.

I agree , thanks for the lifter thoughts....
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote