Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2021, 10:40 PM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default Best paint for painting over rust

While I have the body off replacing some rivets, I thought I'd also paint some areas underneath. Body is original and I don't want to blast or remove whats there. I just want to protect it from that horrible snow melting brine they put down in the tai-state area.

What's the go to product these days? I've used Por 15 in the past.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:53 PM   #2
1937sedandelivery

Default Re: Best paint for painting over rust

POR-15 is my paint of choice. It has worked out nicely for several of my cars that had rusted floor, etc.
gregg
1937sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:24 PM   #3
tubman

The POR-15 I painted the underside of my car with in 1988 is still holding up fine. That's because it's underneath, out of UV rays which will make it deteriorate quickly.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:02 AM   #4
ford38v8

Paint directly over rust is not going to stop the progressive damage of rust, but will hide it from view like an ostrich hides his head in the sand. If the rust is not removed completely, you must convert it to iron oxide before painting. There are several excellent products to do just that, one of which being Rustmort. This is a watery clear liquid, best if applied by brush after removal of flaky rust. As it dries overnight, the rust will turn black, signaling readiness to receive paint without further preparation. It leaves no brush marks and is not a coating, but rather, is absorbed into the rust in a chemical reaction. Wear a full face mask and rubber gloves for safety, but in my case, I was sloppy and even then did not experience any issues from splashing it on my arms and neck.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:15 AM   #5
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
While I have the body off replacing some rivets, I thought I just want to protect it from that horrible snow melting brine they put down in the tai-state area.
The only way to protect a vehicle from the salt brine in winter is to not drive it. That salt spray gets in everywhere and will rust.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:19 AM   #6
GB SISSON

For me it's always been rustoleum rusty metal primer with a brush. But as stated, you gotta remove every bit of the rust you can. I lived in New England for 7 years and I still have PTSD about the horrors of salt and what it did to my older vehicles. Neil Young was absolutely correct when he said "Rust never sleeps", and I would drive a beater subaru or most anything else besides my early ford in that brine. Just my .02
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:21 AM   #7
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
The only way to protect a vehicle from the salt brine in winter is to not drive it. That salt spray gets in everywhere and will rust.
We're on the same wave length!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-04-2021, 01:01 AM   #8
deuce_roadster

Rust Mort is a great way to convert Iron Oxide into black Iron phosphate which stops it. Then paint over it with whatever you want. Of course wire brush or scrape any loose rust off before the Rust Mort.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:06 AM   #9
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Rust Mort is a great way to convert Iron Oxide into black Iron phosphate which stops it. Then paint over it with whatever you want. Of course wire brush or scrape any loose rust off before the Rust Mort.

Rust Mort is an acidic compound that converts existing rust to an insoluble black coating prior to applying body filler, primer or top coat.

Features
  • Completely removes light rust
  • Converts heavy rust into a stable, workable substrate
  • Creates ideal surface for filler or primer
  • Easy to use
  • Ready to apply
  • Requires minimal surface preparation
https://www.hunker.com/12002764/rust-mort-directions

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:51 AM   #10
flatford8

I use Ospho.. (osphoric acid). I get it at a marine supply place down at waterfront. It sounds similar to the product above....... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:37 AM   #11
Tim Ayers

Thanks, all. Yes, I have no intention of driving it during winter weather, but that crap sticks around for a long time. Even after a few rain showers you can see residue still on the street.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:18 AM   #12
russcc

I have used SEM Rust Shield with the catalyst over the years, and it has stood up to many winters of driving a Jeep here in the Northeast. I have used it on the '40 frame, and trunk floor. I have also used their dual mix structural adhesive, and self etching primers SEM has excellent tech support, call Dave at 800 831 1122 and run your particular scenario by him for his perspective. SEM is in NC.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:29 AM   #13
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
You are indeed correct, there is no total protection. The salts gies in places that your eyesight doesn’t and lays there and corrodes.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #14
philipswanson

You don't need to buy expensive rip off rust treatments. The active ingredient is phosphoric acid. Just buy a gallon of the acid, dilute it yourself with water and you will do much better at less than half the cost. Always pour acid into water, not the other way around.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #15
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
You don't need to buy expensive rip off rust treatments. The active ingredient is phosphoric acid. Just buy a gallon of the acid, dilute it yourself with water and you will do much better at less than half the cost. Always pour acid into water, not the other way around.
Thank you. Curious on a starting ratio you've found to be effective?
Old 01-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #16
cdan34

I have used Rust Shield from SEM and it's worked very well.
cdan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:02 PM   #17
rotorwrench

Phosphoric conversion is good. Etching primer has the acid in the primer to etch its way into the metal. Por-15 has an etch formula in it as well. When the surface coating breaks down at some point then the metal will again start to oxidize but a little prevention goes a long way toward longevity.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:11 PM   #18
Kube

Paint over rust? WHAT?
Old 01-04-2021, 09:25 PM   #19
38 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Paint over rust? WHAT?
I wondered if I was the only person thinking that.

Then again, if you start with this you just don't worry so much...
This is a friend's car which is a lot of fun to run around the back roads. The chassis is much better condition than the body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rusty_resized.jpg (350.9 KB, 78 views)
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:19 PM   #20
GB SISSON

Let me be the first to agree it must be a lot of fun on the back roads. I tend to obsess about rust the way some people do about bondo. Of course a vehicle with some 1/2" bondo here and there can be a lot of fun too if you can't spring for a new brookville body. I skip the bondo for the most part, but don't come around the Mt Pickett complex with a magnet. For me, it's all about having some fun with old fords, making them run and drive and stop. Driving them some more and then maybe picking up some nice parts or even a new project. I have fairly low expectations, so I am seldom dissapointed.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:39 PM   #21
Tinker

Ospho marine and paint. Ospho is basically Phosphoric acid. It'll convert and etch too. Is it better if you can't blast, maybe. POR is fine, just de-grease the area and maybe use some Ospho before too.

POR 15 is designed to cut off air to the rusted area. I used it once on the frame, on the parts I didn't de-grease it peeled off in sheets.

Certainly there are better ways.

Last edited by Tinker; 01-04-2021 at 11:15 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:00 PM   #22
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Paint over rust? WHAT?
Yes. Original paint '28 roadster. Want to protect the underside while the body is off the frame.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:03 AM   #23
tubman

Quote:
Paint over rust? WHAT?
If you are referring to PaintOverRust-15, that's really just a clever slogan they use. It is an Isocyanate coating that has something in it that will chemically combine with iron oxide (rust). Actually, you have to be pretty thorough in getting all loose rust of of the surface, but as we all know, that is pretty hard to do, as what's left after our best efforts is really in there. The chemical property mentioned above actually binds the coating to the rust left on ferrous metal. POR-15 actually works better on steel with residual rust than to clean steel. I have used it and it really works.

You just have to be careful and get ALL of the loose rust (and other contaminants) off and protect it from exposure to ultraviolet rays, either by keeping it in unexposed areas or over coating it, preferably with the product they make especially for that purpose.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:14 PM   #24
rotorwrench

No offence Kube but not everyone restores things like you do. I still have a few crusty spots on my Ford 850 tractor engine cowling that I treated some time ago with Ospho and finished over with zinc chromate primer and rattle can Ford tractor enamel and it's still holding up fine. I still use the old tractor pretty hard pulling a brush cutter so I didn't want to spend a lot of refinishing it. Maybe someday I'll "restore" it but like me, it ain't retired yet.

POR-15 works well on surfaces that are not accessible to grit blast or common corrosion removal methods. If it can be brushed or sloshed in some of these weird places then it will encapsulate the corrosion. It's still a good idea to do a phosphate treatment though At least there won't be bare iron oxides lurking anywhere. The iron phosphate is pretty resilient to oxidation as long as it is finished over. It isn't a perfect solution but it is an alternative of sorts.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-05-2021 at 01:20 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:59 PM   #25
deuce5wndw

I have a 36 I bought that had been sandblasted and rusted. I just got some Rust Blast from KBS coatings and it works really good. The first photo shows where I just dribbled some on to test and this is what it looked like overnight. KBS also makes some outstanding engine enamel that flows out nice with a brush. Just my experience, Dale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09460.JPG (146.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09461.JPG (127.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09462.JPG (130.5 KB, 29 views)
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #26
Mart

I wouldn't put any paint on a rusty surface. I would brush off any loose flakes and clean it up without going mad at it. I would then apply some Waxoyl (UK product) to protect it from further rusting. I watch Youtuber Mustie1 and he lives in new England where rust is a big problem. He thins down bar and chain (chainsaw) oil and sprays it underneath his vehicles. It does a good job of protecting from further rusting. It needs to be reapplied after a couple of years or so but if I couldn't get waxoyl I'd use that. His latest video on engine problems on his toyota truck shows him reapplying the coating.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:37 PM   #27
Bluedot

There is a Loctite product called Extend that I have used for years. It's another rust convertor, turns it black, works great. Only drawbacks: it stinks, it'll stain your fingers, and takes 24 hrs to cure before any topcoat. But the end result has always been good for me.
Bluedot is offline   Reply With Quote