Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
coatings03

Unhappy torque tube issue

I could use some help on this issue, I didn't notice until later when I connected the torque tube to the U-Joint lined up the spline. I later connected the half pieces where the transmission and torque tube meet. I noticed that the torque tube is resting on top of the brake connection shaft operating the front and rear brakes.
What have I done wrong. Appreciate your help!

Jim m.
coatings03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: torque tube issue

i know you don't want to hear this but you very well may have some frame sag. is this a new build? i have seen the service brake cross shafts shimmed down a little to compensate for this.
is the car on the ground with the suspension loaded or on the lift?
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

This is an indication of frame sag. The frame can be straightened without removal of the body. Any body shop with frame clamps and tie downs can easily fix this problem without removal of any parts. The frame sags at the rear motor mounts. If you can find the rear part of a float-A-motor mount that connects to the universal joint housing, it will raise the transmission and torque tube off the brake cross shaft. This is, of course a band aid fix but will permantly solve the problem without the need of having the frame straightened.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
larrys40

Im my opinion I think the frame sag thing is sometimes overblown . There are others things to check first that need to be in order . I would inspect the motor mount rubbers. It could be that the rubber is bad, motor mounts cracked , loose mounts, float a mounts if installed could have issues . I think all of that needs to be looked at before determining if there is really a frame sag issue . I have had many I've serviced that have sagging rear mounts due to the above and replacing/fixing/correcting the mount issues including the front mount made a lot of difference and brought things back to where they should be
Just my experience
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
coatings03

I'm building a speedster, at this point I have no body attached as yet I used the original motor mounts so all rubber pads, bolts etc are new. the chassi is still on jack stands front and rear. So your saying the frame is sagging at the motor mount section so if pulled up the frame will bend enough to raise the torque tube off the brake shaft. I can put the chassi on the rims and take it to a body shop but will they know what to do.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
Bob C

If you don't have a body on the chassis just run a string
from front to back and see if the frame rail has a sag.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
Purdy Swoft

I agree with Larry, you really need to check other possibilities first before making any move.. Frame sag is very common and most unrestored cars will have it to some extent. If the frame is actually sagged at the rear mounts, raising the transmission at the universal joint housing will permanantly raise the torque tube off the brake shaft. On the 28 and many 29 models Ford used an upper universal joint housing with a flat hook that rested on the lower lip of the center crossmember. This permanantly held the transmission and torque tube at a level so that it would never drop down and interfere with the brake shaft, no matter even if the frame was sagged. This part is common and will cause no problem with any model A other that losing points in judging if it is used on the wrong year car. My first thought was the rear float-A-motor mount because of the rubber block that is used with it that would reduce the possibility of squeaks.This would be considered a band aid by many if other problems existed but would hold the torque tube at a set level where it could never contact the brake shaft, even if the frame is sagged. Because of high labor costs, some have difficulty with frame straightening, while others may have difficulty finding a shop that would even touch it. I'm just tring to give helpfull suggestions that will solve the problem.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 08-01-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatings03 View Post
I could use some help on this issue, I didn't notice until later when I connected the torque tube to the U-Joint lined up the spline. I later connected the half pieces where the transmission and torque tube meet. I noticed that the torque tube is resting on top of the brake connection shaft operating the front and rear brakes.

Jim m.
My friend's 31 pickup had the same problem, and his body was not yet installed. He ran the chassis over to the body shop and they straightened the frame sag at the rear motor mounts. It was an easy fix.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatings03 View Post

Jim m.
Hey jim,
I second Bob C recommendation. If , as you say...no body yet, just use the string measure method to get a quick /easy idea if you have SAG problem. That would be nice time to determine such, as said easy fix at this stage, for sure. Let us know how it goes !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #10
coatings03

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll run the string to see for myself the sag level and try the easy fix with the 28-29 U Joint covers. I will get back to you,

Thanks,
Jim m.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
Larry Seemann

A common situation that apparently most people aren't aware of is motor mount sag. It's easier to swap sides with the motor mounts than to straighten the frame although for a proper restoration that should be done too. Anyway, just support the flywheel housing with a jack and remove the rear motor mounts and reinstall them on the opposite sides. This reverses the sag and raises the back of the engine and therefore the rear of the tranny and gets the torque tube up off the service brake cross shaft.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #12
Bob Bidonde

The engine in its stock position needs to be on a 3 degree angle downward to the rear.