Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2015, 01:21 AM   #1
Sixseven

Default Flathead year matching vehicle year Q?

My 41 pickup has the '46 flathead in it. I recently found a flathead that would be age appropriate for the 41. This truck is not modified. Does the correct year engine make any difference to the value to my truck?
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:43 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Flathead year matching vehicle year Q?

Of more importance in my opinion would be the condition of the engine in question. If both engines are in similar condition, then there could possibly be a minor difference in value to some people, no difference to others. If your truck was restored to concourse condition, the correct engine would be a significant factor in it's value, as it would likely mean the difference between a Dearborn Award or not, being a loss of 20 points out of a maximum loss of 50 points for that award.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
Terry,OH

Your going to find a lot of opinions! What makes you believe your vehicle is not modified, when it has the incorrect engine? I guess you should not mention it unless you install the correct engine. Then since the engine was changed at least a couple of times is the vehicle still not modified...or even original??? Make absolutely certain the engine you get is correct for your vehicle. I feel it is nice to open a hood on a vehicle, the owner feels is correct and find the correct engine. It gives me the opinion the owner knows what they are talking about.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #4
Walt Dupont--Me.

This is what I'd do. The 41 has 221 ci and the 46 engine has 239ci more power in the 46, NOW,I would install the 41 A heads on the 46 engine there smaller chambers give you more compression, you have to machine a bit over the valve pocket in the A heads, also you can change the front timing cover and use the 41 dist it has the same 11A guts in it, I don't think there is any difference in the intake manifold but if there is you can install the 41 intake. Now no one can tell if it's a 46 engine or a 41 engine. I forgot, it might not pass the pencil test. You can grind off the 59 on the back of the 46 block. O well you cain't win em all. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
jacob smith

If you have the right year motor and you like the fact that your truck is in an orgianal state. Then i would install it. Something about having a car that has all the right parts. I have 39 breaks on my 36 and in time i think i will put the 36 breaks back on
Old 11-10-2015, 08:41 AM   #6
scooder

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Walt's idea is nice, but I will say watch the combustion chamber volume if you decide to go this route. The 81A head, often refered to as the "A" head has 81cc chambers stock, the 59 AB head has 76cc stock. The chamber shape is also different over the transfer to piston head area, this is noticeably shorter on the 59AB. I've measured a few and cross checked the Ford spec on this.
The 59AB head will give you a higher compression ratio.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Kurt in NJ

Just say it has a "Mercury" engine, as long as it isn't hacked in and obviously not original most people won't know, many would think it an improvement, i have a similar dilemma with my 36, and have come to the conclusion that it is worth as much or more with a nicely installed 53 Merc engine
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #8
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The perfect solution would be a 1941 239 from a Mercury or a big truck, put together with the correct heads for the 221 pickup. Identical appearance, and if it needs a rebuild toss in a '49 merc crank and make it a stealth 255...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #9
Sixseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Your going to find a lot of opinions! What makes you believe your vehicle is not modified, when it has the incorrect engine?
I guess what I meant was it is all Ford generally correct for the era having a replacement engine possibly because the owner thought the truck was useful enough to continue using by replacing the engine. Other modifications that would not be desirable to me would include lowering, alternate interior finish, aftermarket wheels or such.

Nah, it's not original. If you met this truck in 1950 you would think nothing of it as out of the ordinary except the high school kids hadn't got their hands on it yet.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #10
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Of more importance in my opinion would be the condition of the engine in question. If both engines are in similar condition, then there could possibly be a minor difference in value to some people, no difference to others. If your truck was restored to concourse condition, the correct engine would be a significant factor in it's value, as it would likely mean the difference between a Dearborn Award or not, being a loss of 20 points out of a maximum loss of 50 points for that award.
Ah, yes! Spend up to $20,000 to get a $20 trophy. Whoopie!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #11
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Ah, yes! Spend up to $20,000 to get a $20 trophy. Whoopie!
If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:36 PM   #12
Cartravel

Shouldn't the "correct" head be a "T" head rather than an "A" head. That is what was on my 1940 half ton. I have built an "A" motor for it bored out to 1/8" over. Will use the "T" heads. It should perform nearly lik a 59AB.
Larry Young
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:45 AM   #13
scooder

The T head is normally on the bigger stuff, not 1/2 ton in my experience, 1/2 ton used the car stuff not the bigger truck stuff.
The "T" head has even bigger combustion chambers, up near 90cc, so even less compression. So will not perform like a stock 59AB head. Those "T" heads are for restoration perfect truck engines or for holding a door open.
Martin.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #14
Sixseven

Well scooder, you might have just answered my next question. I found a 39 truck engine. I suppose it is a low compression engine. Do I understand that the bore and stroke are similar to the car engine but the head volume is different. Even reading Van Pelts website I can't fully understand the differences between the truck engine and the car/commercial engine.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:24 AM   #15
scooder

Yep you got it, bore and stroke are same as the car version of the engine, the 1/2 tons normally have the same heads as car, bigger stuff often used the "T" head, these drop the compression, not what you want. It'll use more fuel and have less torque. These engines have been around since Pontius Pilate was an air cadet, so never assume they have the same spec stuff that they had from the factory. Always check what's on/in it.
Example, I once bought a flathead that came out of a stock slightly beat up pickup off a farm "been there all its life" outside stuff all what you'd expect from circa 46 pickup, inside, really nice full relief, nicely opened up intake ports, real nice hollow adjustable lifters and a 3/4 Harmon and Collins cam!
So always check.
Martin.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #16
Sixseven

Thanks scooder.