Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
Cartravel

Default 40/41 Pickup Fender & Interior Question

I have two pickup projects I'm working on. One is a restoration and the other is the patina truck. We mocked up the restoration before painting and are questioning the fit of the front fenders. It seems they fit down almost on top of the frame. The fenders are still on the patina truck, but not fully attached. They seem to clear the frame by 1/4" at the front and run along side the frame at the back (see photos). It seems that would rattle like crazy. Do these clearances look correct? Is there supposed to be something between the inner fender and frame to prevent rattles?

Also, does anyone have a good photo of the interior "headliner". We are wondering how much finish work needs to be done inside?
Thanks,
Larry Young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0029.jpg (54.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0028.jpg (70.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0027.jpg (47.4 KB, 63 views)
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: 40/41 Pickup Fender & Interior Question

As with 39 Deluxe, all 40s, and 41 trucks, front fender fit usually starts with installing the hood first. Then assemble the grille pcs to both fenders loosely, then try and get things lined up. This has been discussed here several times and can be quite frustrating. I will be starting this sometime later next year myself - I will do a "tell all" write up - the good, the bad, and the ugly .....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:49 AM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartravel View Post
I have two pickup projects I'm working on. One is a restoration and the other is the patina truck. We mocked up the restoration before painting and are questioning the fit of the front fenders. It seems they fit down almost on top of the frame. The fenders are still on the patina truck, but not fully attached. They seem to clear the frame by 1/4" at the front and run along side the frame at the back (see photos). It seems that would rattle like crazy. Do these clearances look correct? Is there supposed to be something between the inner fender and frame to prevent rattles?

Also, does anyone have a good photo of the interior "headliner". We are wondering how much finish work needs to be done inside?
Thanks,
Larry Young
Larry, I'll try to post some photos of the head liner later today for you.

In regard to the front fender fit - yes, they can and are often very close to the frame. The late '39 - early '40 inner fender panels had a small "L" bracket at the very front - bottom. This bracket was subsequently fastened to the frame rail and kept the panel / fender at " a safe distance". That small bracket was eliminated around September 1939 for reasons unknown to me.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #4
Kube

Thanks,
Larry Young[/QUOTE]

Larry,
Here are a couple of photos of the headliner / roof area. What you can't see is behind the seat. In that area, the entire metal is exposed. That's directly below the top of the back rest - on down. Most of the area at the left and right "corners" is also exposed.
I finish all interior areas regardless of whether or not they will be later covered. If you don't want to go to that effort, might I suggest you buy the cardboard kit for the interior and test fit it?
As a side not of sorts... it is my understanding that not all '40 pickup trucks were fit with a headliner. Be certain yours has a small brace in the center of the roof. That brace is perhaps 1 1/2" or so in depth. There is a screw placed though the head liner and into that brace to hold the cardboard up.
Hope this helps...
Mike "Kube" Kubarth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030347.jpg (25.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg P1030351.jpg (31.2 KB, 49 views)
Old 11-19-2016, 10:10 PM   #5
nebrfox

Larry, I am doing a 40 pickup now and my front fenders have about 3/8 in clearance between front of fender and frame. On the inner panel you should have a 3/8 in hole on each side of the brake line that should have a rubber bumper. Part number 01A-16188. One place you can get them is Bob Drake. $10.00 for a kit of 4 bumpers. Hope this is helpful. Nebr Fox
nebrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
Cartravel

Thanks for the responses. I have read the alignment posts - the reason for my concern. I enclosed the photo of the center brace mount in case it needs something else in there. It seems that even with two grommets, it might still rattle. All the inside will be painted, but it seems there is no need to get it to a concours finish when it is covered up. The photos will help.
-Larry
Cartravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartravel View Post
Thanks for the responses. I have read the alignment posts - the reason for my concern. I enclosed the photo of the center brace mount in case it needs something else in there. It seems that even with two grommets, it might still rattle. All the inside will be painted, but it seems there is no need to get it to a concours finish when it is covered up. The photos will help.
-Larry
Larry, I looked at your photos and now understand exactly the area of your concern. To possibly add a bit of confusion... the very early '40's did not use those rubber bumpers. Instead, the panel was bolted to the frame. This would coincide with the early inner fender panels that had a small "L" brace at the very front. That brace bolted to the very end - upper, of the frame rail.

Your "wishbone" brace between the fenders has the bolt upside down. The bolt is inserted from the bottom, the spring being atop the brace. That is, if you care...