Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
CatMan1

Default No Air Cleaner?

I didn't know what else to call this topic. Anyway, when I got my '28 it didn't come with an air cleaner. I know & understand that is stock. What it does have is what would resemble an air cleaner, but it's hollow inside. Sort of a spark arrestor. How much of a difference does that make on engine performance? I don't know of may car backfiring through the car so would I be safe to remove this?
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:33 AM   #2
TerryH

Default Re: No Air Cleaner?

Unless you drive on dusty, dirt roads, most seem to agree you don’t need one, and they can cause your car to run too rich. I’ve put 45,000 miles on two Model A’s over the years without one……I would remove it.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #3
katy

Got a picture?
Old 11-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #4
alexiskai

I'm guessing it's the standard air maze. No effect on performance, they're designed to keep out bugs and other macroscopic contaminants. Like the bug domes you'd see on a downdraft carb.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:56 AM   #5
old ugly

we ran our model B for 40 years with no air cleaner, was ok. paved roads.
But
i think the air cleaner should be used, it will keep out damaging objects as well as dust.
A photo might help folks tell you if there is too much restriction that would cause a running condition.

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
CatMan1

I wish I could post a picture, but I'm not that smart......apparently. I've tried and tried.....sorry.....
Old 11-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #7
goodcar

If you have the air-maze filter, get rid of it. It can be a fire hazard if your carburetor leaks. I have not heard of an air filter being stock on the Model A.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #8
burner31

The advice I received concerning air filters on Model A's ...
"Hold air filter firmly in right hand, throw air filter as far as you can" (thanks Grandpa)

Air maze is fine, but air filters are more trouble then their worth, I tried it one time and did not like the results.
Your results may vary...
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #9
Blue-Truck-Nut

Personally I like running an Air Maze, if that is in fact what you have, I'd keep it. I didn't notice any difference on mine with or without, again that's my personal opinion. I generally run around between 5500 and 7500 foot elevation, no discernable difference. My father ran one on his pickup, when I bought my sport coupe I added one. When I ordered it, I was given the option of the traditional screen, or a paper element. I would not recommend the paper element on a gravity fed fuel system as it can become a gas soaked fire hazard.

Tried to include a pic of a screen type Air Maze from an eBay listing, is this what you have?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Blue-Truck-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #10
nkaminar

Catman, Here is he deal. The stock Model A carburetors were designed to run without an air filter. The float chamber is vented to the outside. When an air filter is put on the this kind of carburetor it acts like a choke and the carburetor will run rich, especially at higher RPM. Modern carburetors are vented to inside the carburetor so they compensate for any restriction caused by an air filter. You can buy a Model A carburetor that has been changed or built like a modern carburetor and can be run with an air cleaner.

As others have stated, the usual "filter" that is put on a stock Model A carburetor is not really a filter in the normal sense. It just keeps out rocks.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #11
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Truck-Nut View Post
Personally I like running an Air Maze, if that is in fact what you have, I'd keep it. I didn't notice any difference on mine with or without, again that's my personal opinion. I generally run around between 5500 and 7500 foot elevation, no discernable difference. My father ran one on his pickup, when I bought my sport coupe I added one. When I ordered it, I was given the option of the traditional screen, or a paper element. I would not recommend the paper element on a gravity fed fuel system as it can become a gas soaked fire hazard.

Tried to include a pic of a screen type Air Maze from an eBay listing, is this what you have?

No, mine is just an empty, black, hollow can. More of a silencer. Tried posting pictures again....nope....
Old 11-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #12
Blue-Truck-Nut

Interesting, does it have louvers punched in one side?

Old 11-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #13
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Truck-Nut View Post
Interesting, does it have louvers punched in one side?

Yes, I would say one or two. I might just take it off and see what happens. I just worry what would happen if the engine backfired, but maybe it won't.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:46 PM   #14
Blue-Truck-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan1 View Post
Yes, I would say one or two. I might just take it off and see what happens. I just worry what would happen if the engine backfired, but maybe it won't.
Sounds like either a dust collector or a backfire arrester, I've seen one, but don't recall what it was exactly. If it's not hurting anything might as well run it. I have nightmares about a ball of flaming gas somehow getting as far back as the floorboards. Highly unlikely, but possible in my mind.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:48 PM   #15
Patrick L.

Any Air-maze I've seen is different than that picture. The Air-maze is good as it swirls the air in an attempt to allow any contaminates to fall out. I ran one for years without issue. But, I also used to run a filter and the new owner still does.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #16
eagle

I have an Airmaze that was put on my grandfather's car in the 1940's. Every spring I take if off and clean it out well, then dip it in used oil and let it dry. It catches a LOT of crud. It does not make the car run rich. This info really isn't too relevant to your original post, but related. I live and drive on a lot of dusty gravel roads.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:18 PM   #17
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Catman, Here is he deal. The stock Model A carburetors were designed to run without an air filter. The float chamber is vented to the outside. When an air filter is put on the this kind of carburetor it acts like a choke and the carburetor will run rich, especially at higher RPM. Modern carburetors are vented to inside the carburetor so they compensate for any restriction caused by an air filter. You can buy a Model A carburetor that has been changed or built like a modern carburetor and can be run with an air cleaner.

As others have stated, the usual "filter" that is put on a stock Model A carburetor is not really a filter in the normal sense. It just keeps out rocks.
An air cleaner will not make the carburettor run rich if it is pressure balanced as you describe and attribute to modern carburettors. By "modern", it is worth remembering carburettors haven't been used on new cars for decades. I believe Henry didn't fit one because they cost money and by the time the damage done by dust and crud going through the motor was detected, Ford had their money. I have and will never run a Model A (or any other motor) without an air filter.
BTW, we can't use hose bug screens you guys hang on the carb intake.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:45 PM   #18
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: No Air Cleaner?

I run an older repop Air-Maze "air-strainer" as I call it on my '31 roadster. It has raised lettering on the aluminum elbow stating: Ford Parts Supply Co.
From the 60's-70's I'm guessing. On the metal mesh filter I spray K&N
air-filter oil. I clean it ever so often and it does get dirty. To me: "A filter
is better than no filter."

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:09 PM   #19
Jerry in Shasta

If my Model A does not need an air filter, does that mean my modern car does not need one?
JB
Old 11-03-2021, 11:50 PM   #20
Brad in Germany

Here's an original Air Maze:

Brad in Maryland
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_3b50.jpg (68.1 KB, 215 views)
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote