Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #1
1stford

Default Car at auction

Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on what this car could bring at auction next month? I understand that no one has a crystal ball and ultimately it will bring what someone is willing to pay but curious as to what the market may say about this car?

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1120-42...y-convertible/
1stford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
FortyNiner

Default Re: Car at auction

It is a beauty. Based on my sporadic attention during previous events, I would expect a winning bid in the twenty thousands. Shamefully low.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
1931 flamingo

It probably depends on how bad one bidder wants it and how many are bidding AND how much refreshments they've had and how deep their pockets are. JMO
Paul in CT 30-35K??
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #4
rockfla

IMO I bet that car will struggle to get to $35,0000/$40,000. With fee's and its not a "popular" year/make PLUS the interested parties are few and far between. "IF" there is two interested parties....... maybe $45,000 to $50,000........ a big "IF"!!!! Again, MO
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #5
KiWinUS

$28,000-$41,000 max
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #6
bobH

Just so y'all will know... That is the last car that RAK (Richard A Krist) restored, before his passing. RAK had a restoration shop in Orange County, and has done several award-winning cars. He was well known for paying attention to detail, and trying to do his restorations 'as henry did'. This particular car was done with the intention of trying for a Dearborn, at the Grand National in Dearborn. The car was done in time for the last Grand National, but unfortunately, health issues got in the way. So, I would say to any prospective interested parties, look this one over carefully. I believe you will find high quality and great attention to detail. By-the-way, that is a lacquer paint job, from material he saved from his shop, from back in the days when lacquer was readily available in ca. I would also mention, look closely at his attention to panel fit (without resorting to the tricks that are used today, by adding 'filler' to edges). In particular, notice how the doors fit. He put considerable effort into making the right door fit properly. Finally, this car has a Columbia, as his intention was that this would be a cross-country driver, after the judging.
Obviously, just my observation and opinion. (Bob, long time friend of RAK's)

Off-topic, but, if you look to page 38, of the current V8Times, bottom picture... That 40 Merc in the foreground was also RAK's. It was recently sold, and as noted in the magazine, it now belongs to Maree and Gary. Noteworthy about that 40, it's an original, never been apart. Yes, RAK painted it once, because the original paint went through and it was beginning to look shabby. But, he didn't take it apart. And simply paid great attention to preparation and detail. The 40 also has a Columbia, and during the more than 30 years that RAK owned it, it has made numerous cross country trips.

Last edited by bobH; 10-23-2020 at 12:19 PM.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
19Fordy

$30-40K max. The market for 40's cars is not as it once was. Newer buyers want resto mod
cars that they can drive on modern highways at "speed".

This may give some idea of value:
https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1941...oupe-AT/Values

Last edited by 19Fordy; 10-23-2020 at 01:22 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #8
Holeshot

If that was a car I wanted, I would go up to $100,000 without blinking an eye. I don't care what other people on the internet that can only afford a rotted out "project" car think. Cash is really only paper anyway. You can insulate your cardboard box with it or burn it to stay warm but that's about it.

Life is too short not to enjoy the ride in a properly restored old Ford.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #9
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
Just so y'all will know... That is the last car that RAK (Richard A Krist) restored, before his passing. RAK had a restoration shop in Orange County, and has done several award-winning cars. He was well known for paying attention to detail, and trying to do his restorations 'as henry did'. This particular car was done with the intention of trying for a Dearborn, at the Grand National in Dearborn. The car was done in time for the last Grand National, but unfortunately, health issues got in the way. So, I would say to any prospective interested parties, look this one over carefully. I believe you will find high quality and great attention to detail. By-the-way, that is a lacquer paint job, from material he saved from his shop, from back in the days when lacquer was readily available in ca. I would also mention, look closely at his attention to panel fit (without resorting to the tricks that are used today, by adding 'filler' to edges). In particular, notice how the doors fit. He put considerable effort into making the right door fit properly. Finally, this car has a Columbia, as his intention was that this would be a cross-country driver, after the judging.

Off-topic, but, if you look to page 38, of the current V8Times, bottom picture... That 40 Merc in the foreground was also RAK's. It was recently sold, and as noted in the magazine, it now belongs to Maree and Gary. Noteworthy about that 40, it's an original, never been apart. Yes, RAK painted it once, because the original paint went through and it was beginning to look shabby. But, he didn't take it apart. And simply paid great attention to preparation and detail. The 40 also has a Columbia, and during the more than 30 years that RAK owned it, it has made numerous cross country trips.

Bob, Your post adds considerably to the provenance of the car and should be of value to any new owner.
Are you able to provide confirmation that you have no interest in the sale?
Old 10-23-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
petehoovie

Recently sold at auction > https://www.classic.com/veh/1941-mer...89301-p6zdqOp/

1941 Mercury Convertible

VIN: A389301

This 1941 Mercury Convertible was last sold at the RM Sotheby's Auburn Fall (2020) classic car auction on Sep 5, 2020

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #11
petehoovie

1941 Mercury Convertible

This 1941 Mercury Convertible is currently for sale at the Mecum Las Vegas (2020) classic car auction on Nov 13, 2020

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:21 PM   #12
rockfla

A $500 Pinto with $3000 dollars worth of tires, rims and a paint job is STILL a $500 Pinto!!! Hope it's NOT the case for this 41 Mercury given the diminishing audience and state of the economy!!!! AND not to compare this car to a Pinto BY NO MEANS........just the logic of the time/money/value aspect of it!!!!
Old 10-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #13
1stford

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post

Really loved your post! RAK was my grandpa and as you know a HUGE lover of cars and specifically fords. The 36 truck I just finished restoring was his shop truck and regretfully he never got to see it done. When I picked it up from him he made me commit to him I would not put a Chevrolet motor in it! I wish that I had gotten more time to learn what he knew but am thankful to have gotten his love of cars. Your so right about his attention to detail and how much he stressed to do things the “right way.”
Old 10-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #14
rockfla

1stFord
Where are the pictures of the truck??? Make your grandad proud and show us the finished product!!!! I wish the photos that Mecum published were of better quality to show off his fine work!!!
Old 10-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #15
1stford

Here is the thread following its rehab.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205359

Last edited by 1stford; 10-23-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #16
woodiewagon46

It's a crap shoot, if you get two guy's that really want, it who knows. I've seen cars go for a lot less than I would figure and some a lot more. V-8 Fords aren't bringing what they once did, Mercury's do a little better. Now everybody want's Camaro's and Mustang's. Bottom line is, if it's a no reserve auction, be prepared to be disappointed and if you get what you want be happy with it.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #17
wga

1stFord - nice truck, and the convert is awesome. 41 Mercs always a favorite of mine,
especially the woodies.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:33 PM   #18
Seth Swoboda

I'll go out on a limb and since it's a hyped up TV auction house, it'll bring something stupid crazy over what realistic value should be. TV car auctions are so dumb I can't bring myself to watch them.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #19
jimTN

$38K as a going price without a bidding war.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #20
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
It's a crap shoot, if you get two guy's that really want, it who knows. I've seen cars go for a lot less than I would figure and some a lot more. V-8 Fords aren't bringing what they once did, Mercury's do a little better. Now everybody want's Camaro's and Mustang's. Bottom line is, if it's a no reserve auction, be prepared to be disappointed and if you get what you want be happy with it.
Not everyone wants a muscle car, now it's and early bronco, or gasp, a walpapered jeep wagoneer. Beautiful merc btw!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote