Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
JSRTUDOR

Default Oil filter conversion sucks!

I am not loving this spin on oil filter conversion on my 272, it leaks like a screen door in a submarine! It worked fine for a few weeks, now it’s pouring out. I tried re- tighten the fittings and filter. Should I use rtv instead of the rubber gasket, or just go back to the cartridge filter? Thanks
JSRTUDOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Oil filter conversion sucks!

I had two of the floppy rubber adapter plate gaskets blow out in two weeks.
Bought a machined aluminum adapter that uses an O-ring.
But that vendor no longer sells them.
The fiber gasket that comes in the box with the cartridge/canister style filter usually works better.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:18 PM   #3
darrell

dont put silicone or anything like it around the gasket or youll be looking for a engine.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #4
1930artdeco

Mine came with a spin on adapter, if it goes south how hard is it to go back to the canister?

Mike
Old 09-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #5
JimNNN

I'm going off of memory, but I remember (embarrassingly) struggling with the conversion on my '54 because I'd neglected to take off all of the hardware on the engine from the original canister setup. As I recall, I'd left on some sort of plate up against the block. So, a 30 minute job took me a couple of frustrating hours. If that's not your problem, maybe a different conversion kit would work. I personally wouldn't go back to the canister in defeat.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
KULTULZ

Post Re: Oil filter conversion sucks!

Unless you have a NOS FORD B7A 6882-A Install Kit you are wasting your time. The aftermarket diaphragm plate stamping gauge is too thin, leading to distortion when torqued.

Also, the aluminum plate is a nice option. No distortion.

- https://www2.dennis-carpenter.com/in...B7A-6882-A.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Filter Adapter -B7A 6882-A.jpg (74.2 KB, 36 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:03 PM   #7
Daves55Sedan

I wouldn't use the modern repro adapter plate they are selling now. It's too thin. The really old adaptor plates are made of approximately 14 gaga metal and will stand up to a good amount of torque.
Never had any problem with the thick rubber gasket that goes between the adaptor plate and engine block. As long as the adaptor plate is installed centered in the recess in the engine block, it won't leak and will last forever.
I wouldn't have a problem converting back to the original cannister and Purolator P-48 filter element, although some people have complained about having trouble with installation. To me, one is just as easy as the other, but I am a thin, wirey fellow and can get my hands in just about anywhere.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:38 PM   #8
paul2748

Like Dave, I went back to a canister. I tried two different conversion kits and both leaked. I had saved all the old canister parts so reinstalled them. No problems after that. To me, it wasn't a big deal to change filter with the old canister type filter

On these conversion kits, you have to be careful torquing down the plate - too much and you distort it and it will leak.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:44 PM   #9
5851a

A friend told me 55 the spin on was optional and in 56 was standard with cannister optional. Not sure if statement is true fact but seems should be more Y blocks in salvage with the original heavy stamping than canister type. I don't have a Y in the barn but have read the fiber gasket and original stamping is what you want.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:42 PM   #10
JSRTUDOR

Thanks, everyone. I will let you know how it turns out using all your advise!
Old 09-03-2021, 11:15 PM   #11
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Mine came with a spin on adapter, if it goes south how hard is it to go back to the canister?
Mike
If the spin-on adapter has been used for more than a few months of driving without leaking it should be fine unless it's disturbed.

To go back to the canister you'd need the several original parts on the block that match the canister installation, and the attaching parts.

Here's a link borrowed from KULTULZ in post 6 that shows an illustration of the parts.
https://www2.dennis-carpenter.com/in...B7A-6882-A.pdf

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-04-2021 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:17 AM   #12
darrell

of the many i put on about half leaked.no reason.i try another and it doesnt.didnt do anything different.i had to do one 3 times.the only thing i can see ford was using a better gaskit than we get.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 03:12 PM   #13
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
A friend told me 55 the spin on was optional and in 56 was standard with cannister optional. Not sure if statement is true fact but seems should be more Y blocks in salvage with the original heavy stamping than canister type. I don't have a Y in the barn but have read the fiber gasket and original stamping is what you want.
CRS, I vaguely remember seeing a post from someone of a Service Advisory letter from Ford to their dealer service depts, possibly dated November of '56 ?, announcing the change to a "new" spin-on filter. With the actual change happening in the first couple months of '57
Old 09-04-2021, 03:27 PM   #14
KULTULZ

The SPIN-ON was an option at first ($15.00).

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 09-04-2021, 04:33 PM   #15
Jim Yergin

On my '56 Tbird, I replaced the leaking spin-on adapter gasket with the gasket that comes with the canister filter. It was thicker and my spin-on adapter no longer leaks.
Jim Yergin
Jim Yergin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 05:27 PM   #16
1942deluxe

Is that a still good number from Ford /Motorcraft? Was a good number a few years back.
Motorcraft number FL 766? I think worked on the Ford tractors with overhead valves as I recall.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 05:58 PM   #17
40 Deluxe

Quote:
As shown by the Ford part number in Kulutz's post, 1957 was the first year for factory spin-on filters. Any earlier would have used the conversion.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #18
paul2748

Spin on was standard starting with early in 1957 model year.

Quote:
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 01:44 AM   #19
KULTULZ

A DISPOSABLE FULL FLOW OIL FILTER was available as an option ($9.15) starting in 1955 on both FORD/BIRD and LINC/MERC (look at option list).

Look at the INSTALL SHEET below and you will find the retrofit dates for the kit B7A 6882-A (Latest Service PN). It was preceded by a kit released (1955) with a MERC and/or LINC PN. Not all lines got the disposable filter in 1957.

The cartridge canister and disposable plate to engine gaskets were the same - EAA 6838-A.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 09-05-2021, 11:42 AM   #20
JSRTUDOR

Ok, I took off the cheapo one I got online and found an older used one in a box in my parts pile I didn't know I had. It is noticeably heavier and it doesn't leak, I think the cheapo one was warping when I tightened the nut to the block. Thanks again for the great info.!